GripBoard Rule #4

Bill Piche

Are We Too Tough with our Standards for Proof on the Gripboard?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Are We Too Tough with our Standards for Proof on the Gripboard?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, a stricter rule is needed

I like to add that the GripBoard is 99.9% Troll free!! ( a few in the past were

booted real quick).

All is good in the "House" :rock

remember ole "shovelboy"? :laugh

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• OldGuy

• CMunger

• Bearcat 74

I think it all depends. If Terminator or Heath send in a video or pictures of something world class, I tend to believe it.

However, a newbie could send in video of closing what appears to be a #4 or bending what appears to be a red, and I would scream FAKE right away. Trust and respect is earned on this board.

Personally-I think video proof is the bare minimum for world class feats. Pictures are okay-but many people can hold a blob long enough to snap a photo, or pinch 2-45s long enough to snap a photo. Video shows the actual lift from start to finish.

Video coupled with credible witnesses is cream of the crop as far as evidence goes. Of course, I realize that not all of us are close to a witness. My closest one is Steve McGranahan, and he is an hour and a half away. This means, I have to be 100% on a day he happens to stop by, or I am S.O.L.!

What I am trying to say is video is good. Witness and video is best. I think most guys that have reached WC feats have both at some point in time.

Rick Walker :rock

Bill:

I just failed closing my COC # 3. :( I didn't have any witnesses nor did I have a camera or a video recorder on hand. :angry: So I basically have no proof that I failed my record attempt. Does this mean by rule # 4 that I didn't fail closing my COC #3 and that just maybe I actually closed it? Please say yes, it'll make my day! :tongue:D

Sorry, just playing devil's advocate. ;) Sometimes rules need to be general in nature, not always black and white, thus causing certain issues to grey. And some of these 'general' rules can not be refined in detail or be made more specific.

What it comes down to is this: You make the call and we'll stand by you. You're the head moderator and sometimes you have to be the bad guy. Yeah we get pissed off and hurt but in the end we repsect what you are trying to do for us and this board. Please don't let these type of issues stress you out or take away from the positive and constructive duties you provide so well.

As always, much appreciated.

Maybe at one time a #3 close was considered to be world class. It took 8 years to get 10 names on the list. Now there are over 100 with more being certified every week.

Surely FAILING to close a #3 gripper is not a worldclass feat. Or even failing to close a #4! Or am I being too strict here? Maybe failing with a PRO would be worldclass... I dunno...

Okay, I have to tell you all the truth: I actually failed trying to close a prototype COC #5 given to me by Dr. S to test. I am not suppose to tell anyone so ssshhhh keep it a secret! < <

So now that it is a world class feat... and I failed... and I have no witnesses and video... I quess you all will be thinking that I might have actually closed it! :D

I like rule #4! :rock

I am now beginning to think that some of you guys actually were taking me seriously about the failed close being a world class feat! I was pulling your legs!

So now that it is a world class feat... and I failed... and I have no witnesses and video... I quess you all will be thinking that I might have actually closed it!

Actually, in your example judgment would be suspended so you neither succeeded nor failed in my eyes.

BC.

Snott, not uncommon to train with out a camera pointed at yourself. Not unbelievable a canera wasn't there. He has more important things to worry about, building strength, then appeasing you with a picture.

The rule is good., very good. But there are exceptions to every rule. Let's say Mark Henry is doing some PR for wrestling at the mall of america. I see him and hand him a gripper, I do often have one or two on me, and he gets down there on my SE or #4. Should I not share this world class feat with you guys just because I carry grippers not cameras around with me? Would people rather not know about this or know about it and not have a picture?

Not the best example maybe but a reasonable person sees what I mean. Remember I said a reasonable person.

Jeff:

I know exactly what you mean. I have not trained with the group at Jeff's place, but I can imagine it is similar to ours. We have a lot of people come in and out. On many occassions, we decide to try something crazy. If I happen to have my camera with me, we try to video it. Sometimes I just want to focus on training and don't want to worry about filming ect. since I may have chalk or tacky on my hands, ect.

Per my post on the Anvil, my approach to your dilema is that I will "report" on impressive happenings, even if they are world class, on other forums. Out of respect for the gripboard rule, the folks here will just have to miss out on the report except in cases where we caught it on video. These are just fun things we do like Joel trying his feat. I get the impression it was not his intent to go over and break the record; it was just, "what the heck, lets pick these up and see what happens."

One thing that I have not really seen addressed is what exactly is "world class"? A world record? Something not many on the gripboard can do?

If in any doubt, and with no video to back it up, post on the Goerner Forum. As far as I am aware rule #4 does not apply there, although I am sure a post containing complete bXllXcks would be shut quite quickly.

Per my post on the Anvil, my approach to your dilema is that I will "report" on impressive happenings, even if they are world class, on other forums. Out of respect for the gripboard rule, the folks here will just have to miss out on the report except in cases where we caught it on video.

This is outright wrong of an attitude to take.

One can still report it here and we encourage it. It will just eventually be locked if there is no proof.

At this point, it's basically world records or very close to world records.

Wanna:

I'm not trying to take an improper attitude; rather the opposite. It was just my understanding that it was not desired for such feats to be reported on this board unless there was proper proof.

This assumption was based on my reasoning that a post being locked, while definitely not stating that the author of the post is lying, is an indication that the post should not have been made. The problem is, as you say, the post will "eventually be locked." Because Wanna cannot possibly monitor the board 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, it is very likely that if someone makes a post claiming a world record feat without proof, some members will see it before it can be locked and post the kinds of posts that we are trying to avoid.

Given this, I would feel somewhat uncomfortable posting about such a feat without proper proof. Why would I want to subject myself or my training partners to that kind of scrutiny (e.g. "I don't believe you", "where is your proof") when all I would be trying to do is let people enjoy reading about our workout? On other forums, for whatever reason, when such posts are made, there is generally not the degree of questioning that I see on this board. When I say I have done something, it has been done. We don't make things up about what we can do. For that reason, I would find it is somewhat offensive for people to question me if I claimed to, for example, take 475 lb farmers implements, 20 feet (not that I have).

Perhaps the best approach would be: 1) when people are thinking they may do someting that will qualify as world class, they attempt to get proper proof; 2) if they do not because of whatever reason, I would suggest that they notify Wanna via a PM that they intend to make the post about it, and then have it locked almost simultaneously with the post. Otherwise, it seems we may have the problems I refer to above.

In my case, given your clarification regarding world records or close to them, it is unlikely that our group will have this come into play, although I will certainly attempt do do so.

Edited by rbrown

rbrown,

Let me run this by you just as an example:

Pretend that you "set" a world record in an event. Now, you go to a forum (any forum, take your pick)... and on your very first post on that forum, you tell the world about breaking this record (whether or not you set the record in the first place makes no difference).

Would you get praise? Yes. Do you think it's too much to ask if "someone" (oh, let's say me) were to ask for proof - in the form of either video and/or pictures??

For the longest time, I've seen a bunch of people come on this forum and claim to do all sorts of stuff. So Wannagrip put his foot down and made the rule.

And as long as I've been a member on this forum, if I were to "claim" to do something (like closing the #4) don't you think someone... ANYONE... would ask for proof? And yes, and they would be within the set guidelines to ask. And if I didn't have it, I would be made out to be of a questionable source.

And if we make an exception for Joel, let's then throw the rule completely out the door for everyone else because now it's worthless. Go ahead: tell me I'm wrong.

No one made an exception. No one is asking for one. So, you are wasting bandwidth Snott!