New grippers

John Knowlton

image.thumb.jpg.cc7dc370375c95da81666fcb5ceeb753.jpgToday is a great day.

A friend of mine just got a new set of grippers from GHP. We are going to rate them today and start to squeeze

Edited by John Knowlton
dumb ass
  • Like 11

Nice!  I see tags - do you mean you are going to rate them?  Any GHP7s in there?

• Like 1

no , right now it is just 1-5

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 1

image.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/8/2022 at 7:20 PM, John Knowlton said:

image.thumb.jpg.cc7dc370375c95da81666fcb5ceeb753.jpgToday is a great day.

A friend of mine just got a new set of grippers from GHP. We are going to rate them today and start to squeeze

Very nice John, I'll be ordering a few more GHPs next month as well. They're a must I believe 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Looks great, wish I owned more GHP's but I have too many grippers already. I have filed 5-6, regular 7 & 8, & adjustable choked 8. I love how the GHP challenge works & I don't know why more people aren't into it, although while everyone knows Ironmind, GHP is much lesser known - I was definitely introduced to Ironmind first as well. Really glad I went with GHP for filed grippers as their knurling is great, I also like that I can just look at the handles instead of having to check which spring side is the dog leg so they're easier to just pick up & use quickly.

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Looks great, wish I owned more GHP's but I have too many grippers already. I have filed 5-6, regular 7 & 8, & adjustable choked 8. I love how the GHP challenge works & I don't know why more people aren't into it, although while everyone knows Ironmind, GHP is much lesser known - I was definitely introduced to Ironmind first as well. Really glad I went with GHP for filed grippers as their knurling is great, I also like that I can just look at the handles instead of having to check which spring side is the dog leg so they're easier to just pick up & use quickly.

I've been meaning to up my GHP7 to more than one rep.  I definitely would have been able when I certed the 3, but not sure if I can as of now.  But I think I could get to at least 2 reps if I tried.

I was not aware that it mattered much which side you put in the palm.  Does it affect the strength of the close one way vs. the other?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I've been meaning to up my GHP7 to more than one rep.  I definitely would have been able when I certed the 3, but not sure if I can as of now.  But I think I could get to at least 2 reps if I tried.

I was not aware that it mattered much which side you put in the palm.  Does it affect the strength of the close one way vs. the other?

It probably doesn't matter, but after learning that people put the straight side in their palm and curved side forward (as in one of Jedd's tutorials) it's just a mental consistency thing to do it like that, & GHP's knurling lines clearly show which side the fingers should go on which aligns with that dog leg theory. So it's whatever, I just do it as a cue to ensure as much consistency as I can.

I did notice that you were on the GHP leaderboard, I could see you adding more reps to your cert. I initially certed with 3 reps, then did another with 4 almosttttt 5. At this point I have been working towards GHP8 rather than doing more recert attempts at the 7, although maybe at some point I'll go for the 5 reps, we'll see. Grippers have been going pretty well lately.

My grippers had gone down for a while too when I wasn't training them as much & was working with other static hold objects, it seems you have to do them fairly regularly in order to be able to be quick & explosive with them (& also just remembering the motor/cue patterns).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

The handle without the "rings" on the GHP's have slightly sharper knurling so it might matter which way you hold them. As for the "dogleg" thing I really don't know, I have never felt any difference to be honest.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 7:58 PM, Fist of Fury said:

The handle without the "rings" on the GHP's have slightly sharper knurling so it might matter which way you hold them. As for the "dogleg" thing I really don't know, I have never felt any difference to be honest.

Oh, yes, clearly GHP intends for one side to be the fingers based on those markings and maybe because of the difference in knurling it would also make a difference to the close.  So my uncertainty was really more about the relevance of the dogleg itself, like on a COC where the knurling is uniform.  That may matter also, but I just have no knowledge about that.

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

So my uncertainty was really more about the relevance of the dogleg itself, like on a COC where the knurling is uniform.  That may matter also, but I just have no knowledge about that.

I have been considering an article about this. A customer asked the question recently and we gave a really detailed reply that could easily be converted to an article.

My guess is close to 100% of people have never seen PDA’s research paper where the idea of a dogleg originated. And when people state that it matters, I’ve never seen anyone correctly quote the way PDA said it matters. For example, even within their own findings PDA states directly that they did not measure any difference in the final difficulty.  

Our personal opinion at CPW having done considerably more of the same kind of testing is that we cannot replicate PDA’s findings. And we also have consulted multiple spring manufacturers about the question and they have all agreed there is nothing inherent to springs that would make them different to cycle either way. 

In short, if we wrote an article about this, the conclusion is “it doesn’t matter and the dogleg is not a thing.” There are more compelling reasons to purposefully orientate the gripper such as leg length and knurling sharpness.  

• Like 5

If you think it matters, then it does and you should stay consistent in your training. Placebo is pretty important, just like how some athletes have lucky underwear/socks/bracelets or whatever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

If you think it matters, then it does and you should stay consistent in your training. Placebo is pretty important, just like how some athletes have lucky underwear/socks/bracelets or whatever. 

We did address that in the reply to the customer. Here is what we said about that:

“There is something to be said for ritual. Rituals have value in lifting. They can calm the lifter, center your concentration and improve your focus. Every time before a race, Michael Phelps does the same double-arm slap on his back. Many gripsters habitually place the dog leg in their palm. We feel this is no different than the back slaps. It's not worthless, but it's personal. It is not related to the race or the pool or the clock or anything else. It's for the benefit of the athlete and nobody else. We would disagree with an argument that the positioning grants an actual advantage beyond this kind of ritualistic repetition.”

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cannon said:

We did address that in the reply to the customer. Here is what we said about that:

“There is something to be said for ritual. Rituals have value in lifting. They can calm the lifter, center your concentration and improve your focus. Every time before a race, Michael Phelps does the same double-arm slap on his back. Many gripsters habitually place the dog leg in their palm. We feel this is no different than the back slaps. It's not worthless, but it's personal. It is not related to the race or the pool or the clock or anything else. It's for the benefit of the athlete and nobody else. We would disagree with an argument that the positioning grants an actual advantage beyond this kind of ritualistic repetition.”

Well… true, but if they read it matters, and it really doesn’t matter….then the ritual doesn’t matter 😀
they adopted the ritual on something that isn’t really a thing. Just joking- I get what you mean though.

Maybe it just gives that gripster a psychological edge. Everyone's always looking for an edge

• Like 2

On 7/26/2022 at 4:40 PM, John Knowlton said:

Maybe it just gives that gripster a psychological edge. Everyone's always looking for an edge

Interesting point cause I always look for the dog leg before I place it in my hand. A bit of a mental block for me NOT to look for it in my next session. I am all about repetition though and I'm certain it has to do with my years of lifting. 

Always the same setup from and empty bar to a max rep. Very interesting! 

• Like 1