Grip related products and reviews

LABZSTS

Hello everyone! I'm made this topic to discuss Grip products and implements made by well known companies and even some lesser known ones. The more well known brands being Ironmind, Cannon powerworks, Diesel crew, etc. I'd also like to know how you guys feel about them, in terms of making future events out of them. Since it's a discussion based, I fully encourage your opinions and insight.

• Like 1

As the person who created the post, I have the first question. My inquiry is based on the company famously run and owned by Juji mufu, Grip Genie. Would you guys recommend their products as reliable ways to increase grip. Whether they are used alongside flagship products or instead of them? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

As the person who created the post, I have the first question. My inquiry is based on the company famously run and owned by Juji mufu, Grip Genie. Would you guys recommend their products as reliable ways to increase grip. Whether they are used alongside flagship products or instead of them? 

I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, mods might move it over to 'Equipment'

But anyway, I hear great things about Grip Genie's RGT all the time. Also the Hilt seems to be good to from what I hear.

I do have experience with their Grippers. They don't have the same quality as CoC or GHP but I do like them. The handles are slightly smaller so closing them requires an increased range of motion. 

• Like 2

RGT is great. Their grippers are ok. I’ve bought some b stock ones to file down. 

• Like 1

I have owned a couple of grip genie grippers.  Because I have smallish hands (7.5 inches), I think the smaller handles make it easier for me to set and close than COC or GHP, so that I can close a higher RGC grip genie than COC or GHP.  If your hands are bigger, that you might not experience that effect.  I was fine with the quality of the grippers, but because they do not feel standard to me and do not give me a good indicator of my RGC strength on the COC and GHP size grippers, I find them less useful.  Even though I won't buy too many of them for the above reason, they sometimes come in RGC hard to find in other grippers, so there is that incentive, and also, since the quality is fine, I still would recommend that others try them.  If the size works for you and your training needs, I think the value is fine.  And, because I think the product is decent, I am interested in trying their other grip implements, like the RGT etc.  I hear the buzz.

• Like 4

I have the CPW x GG4 collab gripper @ RGC 115. I also don't mind the smaller handles (actually the increased ROM is welcome), and the colors look great.

For me, the biggest problem is the knurling, it's way too smooth for me. I'm new to gripsport, but since I got my first CPW Standard gripper, I don't understand why not all torsion spring gripper brands use the same, sharp knurling. It makes things so much easier for me. 

• Like 3

On 3/2/2022 at 8:59 AM, Vinnie said:

I have owned a couple of grip genie grippers.  Because I have smallish hands (7.5 inches), I think the smaller handles make it easier for me to set and close than COC or GHP, so that I can close a higher RGC grip genie than COC or GHP.  If your hands are bigger, that you might not experience that effect.  I was fine with the quality of the grippers, but because they do not feel standard to me and do not give me a good indicator of my RGC strength on the COC and GHP size grippers, I find them less useful.  Even though I won't buy too many of them for the above reason, they sometimes come in RGC hard to find in other grippers, so there is that incentive, and also, since the quality is fine, I still would recommend that others try them.  If the size works for you and your training needs, I think the value is fine.  And, because I think the product is decent, I am interested in trying their other grip implements, like the RGT etc.  I hear the buzz.

I as well have small hands, so relate to you on the hand size part. I like the strength on them and use then as the "tweeners" for in between the 1.5 and 2 C.O.C.s

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matek said:

I have the CPW x GG4 collab gripper @ RGC 115. I also don't mind the smaller handles (actually the increased ROM is welcome), and the colors look great.

For me, the biggest problem is the knurling, it's way too smooth for me. I'm new to gripsport, but since I got my first CPW Standard gripper, I don't understand why not all torsion spring gripper brands use the same, sharp knurling. It makes things so much easier for me. 

I also have that collab gripper and the purple GG3. If I had to guess tho, the most likely made it smoother for newbies. I like that it's smaller as well since I have small hands, but I do like it bigger (pause). I do know that some of the stronger ones like GG5 have sharper knurrling, which I prefer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

the most likely made it smoother for newbies.

Another reason could be the anodizing process. Not that adding the color affects the knurling, but the chances of retaining the coating on sharp knurling is really poor. We saw this firsthand with our Spectrum line. It didn’t take much at all to knock the little tips off the knurling and ruin the continuity of the color. Having more rounded, softer knurling makes the coating all the more durable. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

I do know that some of the stronger ones like GG5 have sharper knurrling, which I prefer.

Good to know, thanks!

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Another reason could be the anodizing process. Not that adding the color affects the knurling, but the chances of retaining the coating on sharp knurling is really poor. We saw this firsthand with our Spectrum line. It didn’t take much at all to knock the little tips off the knurling and ruin the continuity of the color. Having more rounded, softer knurling makes the coating all the more durable. 

This makes sense, and means other colored gripper brands face the same tradeoff. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I guess another question I have about GripGenie products is do you think they would make a good replacement for grip contests or have their own events? I am specifically referring to the Genie Hub, pinch block, etc.

• 3 months later...

The only GG equipment I own is their 6 grippers. I really like the colors, and their knurling doesn't bother me, it's very average. I really only use 4 through 6 but having the entire set is cool. They have 18 mm handles so they are thinner and easier to hold, have a very narrow spread so setting is super easy, & are fun to close. The only downside is the gripper line is so small that there are gigantic gaps between them..my GG4 is 114, my GG5 is 150, & my GG6 is 173. So I don't think it should be anyone's only gripper set...GG4 is easy for me, GG5 is definitely a tough gripper, but if they had a GG4.5 bridge gripper, that would be amazing, as well as a 5.5 bridge gripper. GG1 through GG3 are so light that I wouldn't worry about bridgers for those. Even though GG3 is super light (mine is 92) I had to have it cause blue is my favorite color.

I have heard good things about their RGT but I don't own one, the rest of the stuff they sell like pinch blocks & hubs looks somewhat like replicas of Ironmind stuff. They are a great company, I just am anxiously awaiting for them to increase their gripper line. I did ask them once if they planned on making some sort of certification system for the RGT (which for me would be more of a buying incentive to have something to work towards) & didn't get a response. They did tell me they plan to do gripper certifications in the future though.

Edited by C8Myotome

• 3 weeks later...

I don't own any grip genie at this point, I do plan on purchasing them in the future. It's always nice to have a couple brand grippers in your collection. This way you're able to bridge the gap Between grippers.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 1:49 AM, LABZSTS said:

I guess another question I have about GripGenie products is do you think they would make a good replacement for grip contests or have their own events? I am specifically referring to the Genie Hub, pinch block, etc.

Just saw this.  I think Armlifting USA has been using a lot of Grip Genie in their comps lately.  I haven't seen GG as much in Grip Sports, although Grip Sports tends to have more variety than Armlifting USA (not saying one is better than the other, just that arm lifting USA tends to stick with the same implements at most comps and Grip Sports seems to try newer ones more often).

Other than the grippers (see my comment above), I have not tried the other GG implements but have been meaning to get to an Armlifting comp soon to try them out.  Just haven't had the time recently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

I don't own any grip genie at this point, I do plan on purchasing them in the future. It's always nice to have a couple brand grippers in your collection. This way you're able to bridge the gap Between grippers.

For sure a good purchase then. I have a few of them. My favourite from them was the GG3 purple, until I lost it that is. Smh

I think the first one I buy is the CPW X GG4 from Cannon powerworks

2 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

There pretty good. On Cannonpowerworks you can buy a pre rated gripper from 112-120 I think

yep, Cannon powerworks is the one stop shop.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have the entire grip genie set of grippers. I ended up with pretty average ratings by chance which leaves very wide gaps between the heavier ones, and from other data I've seen they can be all over the place. They are easy to use and hold because of the smaller handles. A heavier grip genie is a bit easier than a lighter ghp/coc. They look nice. I don't have a problem with the knurling. They're fun to use after you're burned out from regular grippers and want something easier to hold, but they definitely aren't equivalent to what you can do on regular grips. Haven't used their other products.

On 8/8/2022 at 3:27 PM, John Knowlton said:

We need to rate more of these. Always something to do :laugh

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 10:28 AM, C8Myotome said:

I have the entire grip genie set of grippers. I ended up with pretty average ratings by chance which leaves very wide gaps between the heavier ones, and from other data I've seen they can be all over the place. They are easy to use and hold because of the smaller handles. A heavier grip genie is a bit easier than a lighter ghp/coc. They look nice. I don't have a problem with the knurling. They're fun to use after you're burned out from regular grippers and want something easier to hold, but they definitely aren't equivalent to what you can do on regular grips. Haven't used their other products.

I'm seeing the exact thing when it comes to the different feel that isn't captured by RGC ratings. 

I only recently started using a CPW/GG4 RGC 115 for my left hand, while my FBBC 3x was out for a rate & return.  The FBBC 3x is right around the limit of my left hand: manageable on good days, but barely able to get 1 rep on bad days.  The CPW/GG4 feels easier, so I was a little surprised that the 3x came back at RGC 110, 5 lbs lower than the easier gripper.  And it feels just as tough as before.

1 hour ago, bdckr said:

I'm seeing the exact thing when it comes to the different feel that isn't captured by RGC ratings. 

I only recently started using a CPW/GG4 RGC 115 for my left hand, while my FBBC 3x was out for a rate & return.  The FBBC 3x is right around the limit of my left hand: manageable on good days, but barely able to get 1 rep on bad days.  The CPW/GG4 feels easier, so I was a little surprised that the 3x came back at RGC 110, 5 lbs lower than the easier gripper.  And it feels just as tough as before.

My 144 GHP7 is wayyyy harder than my 150 GG5. I've gotten closer to closing my 173 GG6 than I have my Standard Co 163. They're just so different that they're not really comparable, so I don't like to let how I perform on GG's artifically inflate what I think I can do on normal grippers. Because they're so different I never use them for working sets/actual volume, more of just something to play around with after I am already fairly burned out and want something with that is much easier to hold.

The other day, in the same session, I used the bumper to bump up both a 152 CoC3 to 153, & the 150 GG5 to 153. I was only able to close the GG5 & it felt pretty easy.

Fun grippers for sure but then you go back to regular grippers which are a lot harder to set lolol

Yeah I agree with the grip genie I have a 168 grip genie 6 and it’s much easier then my 165 3.5 I can get a way better set in the grip genie 

• Like 3