Who Is This?

Bill Piche

I added a new title now to the gallery.

I recently called Mr. Sorin the "Father of Grip" during an interview. I told the reporter we are here today trying to duplicate feats he did years ago!

I know there were many old timers doing grip, but modern day I can't think of anyone besides Richard who jump started this stuff into modern day. Just my opinion....

I added a new title now to the gallery.

I recently called Mr. Sorin the "Father of Grip" during an interview. I told the reporter we are here today trying to duplicate feats he did years ago!

I know there were many old timers doing grip, but modern day I can't think of anyone besides Richard who jump started this stuff into modern day. Just my opinion....

That's wy he is the 1stCOC. Man I can not believe he was pinch gripping (2) 35# plates at 12 YO. What would make a kid even think to try and do something like that? Your are right Bill he is the Father of Grip!

Keep those pics coming! :rock

We've heard a lot about Mr. Sorin's accomplishments on this board, but considering he started gripping back when he was a wee lad, we haven't heard very much about his training. I'd be very interested in learning some more details about how he got started, his early training, progression, poundages, implements used, etc... I think it would be a very good read to learn about how he became the "Father of Grip". Any comments?

Man I can not believe he was pinch gripping (2) 35# plates at 12 YO.

I agree with you Tom. It's really mind boggling. When i first tried to pinch grip plates i could not do it with 2*12lbs (2*5kgs) plates with my left hand and could just do it with my right hand...and i was 26yo ! :blush

Amaury.

I thoguht I was pretty young. Geez. I can just break 2 35's off the ground. Knowing him he could probab;y do the 35's with 2 fingers too.. just didn't want to show off :tongue

Thanks for your kind words, guys! I am very proud of my Pop and his many acomplishments, but most of all, for being the man he is. You can very well see that lifting, strength, honor and integrity have been constant threads throughout his life. At a very young age he realized that "Living Strong" was his goal, and he has kept up his end of the bargain for over 40 years. His physical as well as mental strength that he developed over the years through lifting has supported him his whole life, through good times and bad, when he had nothing else. He always said how appreciative he was of the older lifters who were role models in his life, who believed in him and made time to share some of their knowledge with him as a boy. Some of these people you may have heard of: Bob Bednarski, Paul Anderson, Al Oerter. From influences like these, as well as the old Strength and Health Magazines of the 50's-70's the "Strength Seed" was nurtured.

I know Dad appreciates the support form his grip brothers, and feels strongly about passing the torch to up and coming gripsters. But "passing" the torch may be an event far in future, he still has a pretty firm "grip" on it. He is back training again with the grippers, he is taking it easy right now, but has shown a lot of "potential". ;)

Again, thanks a lot for the support and the fellowship. If I run across any other old photos, I'll post 'em.

Live Strong,

Bert Sorin