Extensors Strength and Training

Ron1387

Hello I've been a frequent lurker to Gripboard for a while. My question and i am sure it's been asked to exhaustion is the forearm extensors do get a lot of work from most grip training I know many people suggest rubber band extensions but i've always noticed when I do alot of gripper training the extensors separate and look better am I wrong in my opinion ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ron1387 said:

Hello I've been a frequent lurker to Gripboard for a while. My question and i am sure it's been asked to exhaustion is the forearm extensors do get a lot of work from most grip training I know many people suggest rubber band extensions but i've always noticed when I do alot of gripper training the extensors separate and look better am I wrong in my opinion ?

You train the finger extensors with rubber bands not the wrist extensors(forearm extensors) these are two different muscle groups.

Edited by DevilErik

15 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

You train the finger extensors with rubber bands not the wrist extensors(forearm extensors) these are two different muscle groups.

Thank you sir I am embarrassed to say i've never realized that. So the wrist extensors get worked with most grip training and the finger extensors with the extension of the fingers themselves ? 

6 minutes ago, Ron1387 said:

Thank you sir I am embarrassed to say i've never realized that. So the wrist extensors get worked with most grip training and the finger extensors with the extension of the fingers themselves ? 

Never be embarrassed mate we are all here to learn.

No you need to train wrist the extensors with things like reverse curls and reverse wrist curls.

It depends on what you want really if you want big forearms grip training won't be enough it will contribute but it won't cause any significant hypertrophy.

You train the finger extensors by opening your hand against resistance with elastic bands wrapped around your fingertips.

Edited by DevilErik

3 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Never be embarrassed mate we are all here to learn.

No you need to train the extensors with things like reverse curls and reverse wrist curls.

It depends on what you want really if you want big forearms grip training won't be enough it will contribute but it won't cause any significant hypertrophy.

You train the finger extensors by opening your hand against resistance with elastic bands wrapped around your fingertips.

Thank you again sir. My goals are a hybrid I suppose to have strong and defined forearms wrists and hands. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ron1387 said:

Thank you again sir. My goals are a hybrid I suppose to have strong and defined forearms wrists and hands. 

Then I would suggest training all angles of the wrist with sets of 6-10 this will still give you some carry over to grip strength.

Your hands will grow from grip work but if you want to speed up the process do some dynamic pinch work for your thumb pad and do thumbless finger extensons for your pinky pad.

Metabolic fatigue(pump work) is great for hand growth.

You can use the pony clamp to grow your thumbpad and the extensor bands for your pinky pad make sure to use them thumbless.

8158.jpg

109279320_max.jpg

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Then I would suggest training all angles of the wrist with sets of 6-10 this will still give you some carry over to grip strength.

Your hands will grow from grip work buy if you want to speed up the process do some dynamic pinch work for your thumb pad and do thumbless finger extensons for your pinky pad.

Metabolic fatigue(pump work) is great for hand growth.

I use a homemade wrist roller can only pinch three 10 plates now I can hold onto a 45 bumper pretty good too but i know that's a different animal struggle with the COC #1 can close it and I do levering both with my short 10 pound hammer and a more tradition sledge.

4 minutes ago, Ron1387 said:

I use a homemade wrist roller can only pinch three 10 plates now I can hold onto a 45 bumper pretty good too but i know that's a different animal struggle with the COC #1 can close it and I do levering both with my short 10 pound hammer and a more tradition sledge.

Grip is ultra specific meaning there isn't much carry over from one thing to another.

It all depends on your goals.

You have to train for your personal goals.

Wrist rollers suck unless you use a resistance band hooked over a barbell with weight attached to it.

The cheap ones that can't handle any weight are trash.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 1

Also it doesn 't work quite the same way as normal resistance training.

Gaining size on your forearms does not mean that your grip has gotten stronger.

Grip strength is mainly neuromuscular so having big forearms does not guarantee a strong grip and vice versa.

Wanting big forearms and a strong grip are 2 seperate goals.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Also it doesn 't work quite the same way as normal resistance training.

Gaining size on your forearms does not mean that your grip has gotten stronger.

Grip strength is mainly neuromuscular so having big forearms does not guarantee a strong grip and vice versa.

Wanting big forearms and a strong grip are 2 seperate goals.

Yes sir. I hopefully will mix the two in your opinion and I know there's no magic one best of the best but do you think levering mixes for forearm wrist and hand strength ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron1387 said:

Yes sir. I hopefully will mix the two in your opinion and I know there's no magic one best of the best but do you think levering mixes for forearm wrist and hand strength ?

Levering is one of the best things you can do for both wrist strength and forearm size.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ron1387 said:

Levering is mainly wrist strength. I'm sure it will increase your hand strength but not like thick bar training.... look up David Hornes beginner grip routine.. I did it for awhile and it worked great. 

If you are serious and new about grip training do his routine for 6 months, or longer its working... For the wrist curls, you can use a sledge in place..

• Like 1