Bending

climber511

I've been finding very different strengths between similiar nails etc. which is exactly what everyone else says too - what I need is a way to measure bending strengths. What kind of set up is being used to measure the bending strengths of different items. I've tried the deadlift method with my hands but I get a lot a varience that way - any more accuate ideas? Is the method David Horne is using to calibrate something he has shared and I have missed or is he using a fairly elaborate set up? I just want to be able to progress systematicly and need an accurate way to measure that relates to the accepted standards. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure David's going to make them as weak as I need them. Besides, I like the idea of doing it myself for whatever stuff I can find cheaply to bend.

I'm not sure David's going to make them as weak as I need them. Besides, I like the idea of doing it myself for whatever stuff I can find cheaply to bend.

What I do is buy 3/16", 1/4" and 5/16" stock from Home Depot (Crown Bolt Co. HRS) and cut to different lengths. I also buy 60D nails from Home Depot, Lowe's and Metropolitan Hardware (in NYC). IMHO the Crown bolt Co. stock is very close to the steel used by Ironmind.

So, train on any steel you can find and then test yourself on David Horne's or Ironmind stock to measure your progress.

What I do is buy 3/16", 1/4" and 5/16" stock from Home Depot (Crown Bolt Co. HRS) and cut to different lengths. I also buy 60D nails from Home Depot, Lowe's and Metropolitan Hardware (in NYC). IMHO the Crown bolt Co. stock is very close to the steel used by Ironmind.

Exactly what I do. I would be surprised if Ironmind's nails were not made from Crown Bolt's material. I see no difference.

As Robert says, find some steel that fits the bill for training, then test yourself with our calibrated bars if you like.

Good thing now, is you have the choice.

David

Old Guy and RSW

When buying Crown stock to match IronMind nails - are you getting cold roll or hot roll stock?

Not to burst any bubbles, but my blues are considerably harder than my Crown Bolt 1/4" stock cut to 6". I've heard that steel can vary from batch to batch, hence the need for what David is doing with his challenge bars.

Not to burst any bubbles, but my blues are considerably harder than my Crown Bolt 1/4" stock cut to 6". I've heard that steel can vary from batch to batch, hence the need for what David is doing with his challenge bars.

No doubt that both Crown Bolt and Ironmind nails vary from batch to batch. I have myself found variations in both. I have found them to be the same, and both easier and harder. Enough so to think that I have gotten either stronger or weaker in a short space of time! Those interested in certification or competing, would need to use David Horne's tested and calibrated nails and the Gripboard's new certification program.

Eric-

Hadn't you thought your blues were CRS instead of HRS?

Eric-

Hadn't you thought your blues were CRS instead of HRS?

I sure did. But because I've since been informed that there can be considerable strength differences amongst various batches of HRS, I simply believe that the blue HRS I have happens to be much stronger than the Crown Bolt HRS I have. And now I've had it explained to me by David Horne that some HRS is stronger than some CRS. Check out his list of challenge bars, for example.