2" diameter dumbbell vs. inch dumbbell carryover

SteveT123

Just a question for any of you guys on here that have experience with using an inch dumbbell and also a 2" diameter (axle style) dumbbell handle, how much less can you lift on the inch dumbbell than on the 2" diameter handle dumbbell ?? 

• Like 3

It really depends on hand size and finger/thumb wrap as to how much difference between the two. For me I could 1H DL 227 on the 2" Axle and still not get a really good clean level lift on my Inch DB. On 2" my middle finger and thumb tip would just brush, on the Inch DB they were over an inch apart and it feels like a pinch lift.

Edited by acorn
Adding info
  • Like 6

It seems like a 2 inch axle it's a lot easier to handle than the inch dumbbell. It seems like the inch dumbbell wants to roll out of your hands . Although I think training with the 2 inch axle will help you pick up the inch dumbbell.

• Like 3

This is our 2 inch axle with 235 pounds on it. We use it for dead lifting.

And these are my version of the Thomas inch dumbbell .

So if you can dead lift the axle bar with a hook grip you should be able to pick up these dumbbells at least that’s what we’re trying for

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

I could lift 85-90% of what I could lift with 50 mm handles with using a 60 mm handle. Depending on how much I trained with 50 mm. I rarely did train with them though, just didn't have enough time to do so.

It totally depends on the person also, some people are actually better with larger handles, relatively speaking of course, they don't lift more with larger handles, but can be better with it compared to other people. So the ratio can be vastly different.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

It seems like a 2 inch axle it's a lot easier to handle than the inch dumbbell. It seems like the inch dumbbell wants to roll out of your hands . Although I think training with the 2 inch axle will help you pick up the inch dumbbell.

I can't lift the inch but everything you say here makes alot of sense and has been my experience so far. I think that the axle carries over to the inch and vice versa but of course everyone is different and the carryover may vary. I find for the inch type of lifts I need super strong thumbs and wrists because of the rotation. Especially on the wrist wrench!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

This is our 2 inch axle with 235 pounds on it. We use it for dead lifting.

And these are my version of the Thomas inch dumbbell .

So if you can dead lift the axle bar with a hook grip you should be able to pick up these dumbbells at least that’s what we’re trying for

image.jpg

image.jpg

This stuff looks great! The bar looks hand made. Did you make the dumbbells as well? 

Also, I don't think I've seen plates like these before... Are they over 100lbs each or so? 

• Like 2

Thanks Terry, the plates are 110lbs each , I made the dumbbells'  one is 125lbs and the big one is 175lbs we call in GODZILLA , booth have 2/14 inch handles.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Thanks Terry, the plates are 110lbs each , I made the dumbbells'  one is 125lbs and the big one is 175lbs we call in GODZILLA , booth have 2/14 inch handles.  

Beautiful 💪

The plates are thick and heavy. Look great. Everything does 

• Like 2