2 Finger Deadlifts

JasonL

What is a reasonable amount of weight to be considered strong on a 2 finger deadlift?

2 FINGER DEADLIFTS:

1. Right or Left Hand

2. Middle/Index fingers

3. Little/Ring Fingers

i can 2-hand deadlift 250lb using my middle fingers with the eagle loops.

not sure how good a lift it is though.

stephen

Edited by stephen aish

My impression is that finger deadlifts in competitions are done on an Olympic bar with both hands, grip reversed. So, for 2 fingers only, I think there are not many who can deadlift their own bodyweight with their index fingers. For middle fingers, bodyweight + 1/2 would be pretty good. The number of men who have deadlifted double bodyweight with their middle fingers only is very small. To an extent, it depends on the length of one's fingers. My pinkies won't even go around an Olympic bar, but I think Kevin Fulton has lifted 200 lbs that way. Needless to say, with both palms on the same side of the bar, it gets a whole lot harder because the rotation of the bar works against you. And the same would be true of dumbbell lifting.

My best official lifts (actually IAWA recs) done in my crazy past were;

Middle fingers deadlift 182.5k (402.3lb) 29/6/94

Middle fingers Hacklift 190k (418.8lb) 29/11/94 (Hacklift performed with barbell behind legs)

(Middle finger of each hand only, and olympic bar used for both lifts)

It's a tough lift, and I've seen some great skin loss, so be careful.

David

One of our competitor in Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge named Johan Albrektsson (second in our last competition) has a personal record of 190 kg! in a fully deadlift using only his middle finger!

Actually, OldGuy, I think the Eagle Loops make the lift even more unsafe. Reason being is that when using the loops, all the stress is concentrated on an area on your finger as wide as the loop. But when you use your entire finger to loop around the bar, the stress is more evenly distributed on the entire finger (or at least that portion of the finger that is holding the bar). I don't know if I'm being clear.

But on the whole, I agree with you. Finger lifts can be very dangerous.

Edited by ClayEdgin

David,

Thanks for the confirmation.

As for finger lifts, I have had some limited experience with them in the past and they are an area I intend to pursue in the future (at least until my first major skin tear, anyway!!)

David,

Thanks. I unfortunately have a habit of doing silly things until they become a problem. I don't imagine I will have serious finger problems until I get into some decent weights, which will be quite a while away.

Any further info you could give (technique, weights lifted with strange finger combo's etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I mostly did Middle fingers only and this seemed the safest of them, for a few reasons.

My skin split big time on a little finger lift requiring 4 stitches.

David

If anyone is considering strengthening the fingers doing finger lifts... may I suggest using the Claw Curl? Your using all the fingers -- it's a much safer lift but you get the benefit of still using your fingers. ;)