Inch Vs. Millenium Bell

CMunger

Ok, I know the Inch is 172lb, (not certain about the handle size 2 x/x"), but I know jack about the Millenium Bell. From the context, I'm assuming it's bigger/harder than the Inch. I figured this would be good for the FAQ, cuz that's the first place I looked. :D So, if anyone wants to provide the requisite info, that'd be cool. Thanks.

The MB's handle is about an inch longer than the Inch bell handle also.

Mobsterone and Alan Radley manufacture them, so hopefully

Mobster will post about this.

What is the price on the MB?The shipping must be very costly.

Edited by pexter

Millenium.Somewhere around $500?550?...before shipping I believe.

I've read somewhere that the INCH replica after paint -is 2.47inches??

I have a friend that can make them solid steel,2 3/8 handle,slight knurl-like the Millenium- for a lot less.Course it's not a millenium but he can make it right at 228lbs =plus or minus a pound.Or he can make a 172lb steel dumbell also and machine the handle to EXACTLY 2.47inches.

he mass produces highperformance 'gears'for off road racers(transfer cases)so this is like tinkertoys(in the H.P.dept to him)he makes awesome stuff(only works with steel,iron repulses him :laugh ) and most of his stuff ...has been 'BLAST tested by BIGGER'1.1Ton capacity squat bars too.Chain systems that allow up to

90lbs of chains on-PER SIDE!Also they make a 1.1 ton capacity Security Squat bar- after we bent a 1500lb Safety bar.

He also makes normal handled dumbells 1 1/8 or 1 1/4"handles from:200's to 300's and yes he's made a pair of 300's!

Think big-train big- Get big :D

If the bell was made in solid steel to the same dimensions it would be heavier than the MDB as the MDB is a combo of steel (handle) and cast iron (globes). It weighs 228 and the dimnsions are on here somewhere. The handle is longer than the Inch but the same 2 3/8ths inch thick. I can, as per a gallery video, pick up several times in sucession an Inch (just off floor for example) but have to set and ready myself for a MDB pull. I have done it as many as three times in one afternoon (2003 Gordon Allen's South Cost Bodybuilding comp) and 2 x at the March 2003 OH dinner (as per gallery video).

Tom,

For the 300lb dumbell - do you know if anyone has "used" it and what they managed to do with them? I would have thought there were several guys who could row such a monster for reps (ie. Ronnie Coleman's claim of rowing a 300lb dumbell in Hawaii).

Brian Dobsons gym - where Ronnie workouts out says, on thjeir site, that they have 250 lbs. I have also seen the site which mentioned him trying out a Hawaian gyms 300 lb bells.

On my 2.5 inch handled set up the most I have ever done is 300.1 lbs to the knee (as high as it would go)

If the bell was made in solid steel to the same dimensions it would be heavier than the MDB as the MDB is a combo of steel (handle) and cast iron (globes).

Should have mentioned.Not round Globes......but the entire dumbell is SOLID and it'll roll right out of your hand anyway.

he said he could machine circular globes but jerry said Steel would cause a different 'size'globe.

IMO i don't think there is anything magical about the Globes..i.e. a purely solid dumbell of at least 'similar circumference and length' is going to want to 'roll'and your wrist is going to have to control it.

The true Millenium is a monster and at this juncture has almost become 'mythical'but for about $230 to $250 you could buy one of Jerry's solid steel monsters and and IF you can get 'it'you can probably lift the Millenium.

it's a very nice piece of Steel. :cool

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

The slight varitation would be in how the hand contacts the end of the 'lumps' of metal (I'll presume cylinder shaped) which would replace the globes. These would have the same feel against either side of the fist as do plates. Having the bells slope away would make the feat feel different.

Example: at a seminar yesterday I did a Inch weight lift on a Stan Pike dumbbell with a 2 and 3/8ths inch handle. I did manage to lift it and with almost no tilt but this was because we set it up using a 20 kilo plate either side of the handle ends. It felt like putting my hand down a drain pipe. In fact both sides of my first were wedged up tight against the plates where they met the handle. If you tilted the 'pretender' ( :) ) then the weight / cylinders would hit just above the wrist, globes higher, plates higher still - depending on their size. I'd suggest 1) no tilt and 2) possibly making the 'pretender' a few pounds overweight (get one dead on and one made just over). Having a heavier bell might be fun for me to try when I eventually come to the States!!

Actually one dumbell he made- with 2 3/8 handle- is just that.....'overweight'.('slight'miscalculation :whacked )

I'll keep you informed of further developments.

Tom,

Empty your pm box. It's full.

:rock My Inch replica is 2.47" diameter. From what I've heard all Inches in the USA come from the same source. Whereas my RT is 2.38" (or 2 3/8" rounded up). The length of the handle on my Inch is 4". :cool

Brian Dobsons gym - where Ronnie workouts out says, on thjeir site, that they have 250 lbs. I have also seen the site which mentioned him trying out a Hawaian gyms 300 lb bells.

On my 2.5 inch handled set up the most I have ever done is 300.1 lbs to the knee (as high as it would go)

Ronnie doesn't work out there anymore from what I read. He put together his own home gym.

I've seen that video $60k on the home gym. I have a mate, who I have met 2x, from another board, and believe Ronnie still trains from time to time at the Metroflex but will train exclusively at the home gym in the last few weeks.

In a Musclemag article (he he, I know...) Mike Dragna (I think it is him - a Hawaiin BB certainly) states that in the gym he trains at in Hawaii (I assume it is the same one??) there is a 300lb DB, which some of the Hawain "Good Ole Boys" (for want of a better term) use in their workouts.

Edited by The Mac

Which issue - I think it's a recent one right? I have Bob K's email addy and I might contact Mike and see if the gym will send me a pic - I wanna see what they can do with a 300 - better still I'd like to see someone using it.