Grip Strength

John Knowlton

On 12/28/2021 at 9:05 AM, John Knowlton said:

I found this a couple years ago. I cut it out and laminated it and put it on my power rack.

Grip strength training can be a lonely endeavor. Unlike team sports, usually a grip strength practitioner under takes his obsession by himself in a dusty basement surrounded by storage boxes, or in a small portion of the garage that’s just big enough to house a garage gym. When he beats a personal record, the radio and the dog are the only things around to share in his excitement…!

I think this fits most of us

Fits most people doing anything honestly. Artists, gardeners/ farmers, craftsman, serious fighters/ martial artists, religious or spiritual people, academics, autodidact 'thinkers', hikers, hunters, fisherman, and people who train their body in general do it alone.

@Vinnie

You should benefit from the Jefferson Curl starting at 5 lbs going 3 x 15 reps and working up to 25% body weight. Jeffersion Curl is just a straight leg toe touch, round back and everything. So 3 x 15 toe touches 3x a week and incrementally work up to 25% BW in a year. Anyone with back issues benefit from that. Walking backwards incrementally adding a sled and sled weight (dragging a weight plate pulling it with a rope around your waist for instance) and shin lifts help the back out quite a bit as well, while doing something different so it rounds out the training. Split squat (lunge) would be the last thing to fix things up. Start easy and progress over the year and you should be able to move very well and lift relatively heavy things without pain or injury. Depends on consistency though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

Fits most people doing anything honestly. Artists, gardeners/ farmers, craftsman, serious fighters/ martial artists, religious or spiritual people, academics, autodidact 'thinkers', hikers, hunters, fisherman, and people who train their body in general do it alone.

@Vinnie

You should benefit from the Jefferson Curl starting at 5 lbs going 3 x 15 reps and working up to 25% body weight. Jeffersion Curl is just a straight leg toe touch, round back and everything. So 3 x 15 toe touches 3x a week and incrementally work up to 25% BW in a year. Anyone with back issues benefit from that. Walking backwards incrementally adding a sled and sled weight (dragging a weight plate pulling it with a rope around your waist for instance) and shin lifts help the back out quite a bit as well, while doing something different so it rounds out the training. Split squat (lunge) would be the last thing to fix things up. Start easy and progress over the year and you should be able to move very well and lift relatively heavy things without pain or injury. Depends on consistency though.

I'm so inflexible that I cannot even reach my toes to touch them!  But maybe the general movement you suggest with slightly less than full range of motion would still be helpful ...

7 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I'm so inflexible that I cannot even reach my toes to touch them!  But maybe the general movement you suggest with slightly less than full range of motion would still be helpful ...

best thing I ever did for myself is online yoga... Every day after work.. It helps so much.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Yes just any range of motion you can do without pain.

• Like 1

I've been doing jefferson curls for over a decade and it's probably the best bulletproofer for the back just make sure you start out commicly light. I usually teach this starting with a stick or something similar even an empty bar is too heavy. I worked up to bodyweight but most people would have major improvements just working up to 1/4 bodyweight and then staying there while trying to extend the range. 

• Like 1

I might follow the above advice to try them, but I am filing a legal brief tomorrow and have been working non stop for days with little sleep.  Might have to wait until the weekend ...

• 9 months later...
6 hours ago, Dylan said:

Did you wind up doing Jefferson Curls? @Vinnie

Today is still a good time to start.

lol, I m so bad.  No, but thank you for reminding me that I mean to.  Maybe after I file this monster brief I have due November 2 ... I get so laser focused when I have a work deadline that I can't veer into new territory ...