Double underhand "kink" assistance training/ WD2

Ole' Puller

Double underhand "kink" assistance training/ WD2

"Today I did some DU kink assistance training with the David Horne WD2. Although it is designed as a trainer for the reverse grip bending style, there's quite a few benders who use it for double underhand training as well. Here's a few sets that felt super!"👊〰️👊

• Like 3

I also have a WD2 just like in your Videos.   Do you also train Double Overhand?  There has been some discussion in the past about Not using the WD2 for Double Overhand in that the spring might break and hit you in the face.   Could there more Replies posted about the dangers, or no dangers at all, about using the WD2 for Double Overhand.

Over the years that has been very little discussion about using the WD2 as a warm-up, or as an assistance trainer, to bending nails.  Could there also be some Replies as to just how helpful the WD2 is for nail bending.   I personally think that the WD2 is VERY HELPFUL as an assistance trainer to bending nails, but would like to read all Replies from this Forum.

Please post some Replies about the WD2

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gary Gray said:

I also have a WD2 just like in your Videos.   Do you also train Double Overhand?  There has been some discussion in the past about Not using the WD2 for Double Overhand in that the spring might break and hit you in the face.   Could there more Replies posted about the dangers, or no dangers at all, about using the WD2 for Double Overhand.

Over the years that has been very little discussion about using the WD2 as a warm-up, or as an assistance trainer, to bending nails.  Could there also be some Replies as to just how helpful the WD2 is for nail bending.   I personally think that the WD2 is VERY HELPFUL as an assistance trainer to bending nails, but would like to read all Replies from this Forum.

I have the wrist developer, but used it so much the first week (i knew better which makes it worse)... I messed up my forearms, but its finally about 80%, looking forward to really using it finally..  I've only bent 4 or 5  60d nails, but it certainly helps.  Maybe not technique, but for the strength and tendons, yes.  As to doing double overhand... Odds are it probably would be fine, BUT it only takes one time, i'll probably never try it.. But I really don't see why it would be harder on the spring, but maybe its just the position the spring is in on double overhands, your more vulnerable, IF it snaps. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 6:51 AM, Gary Gray said:

How are you my friend! So very sorry for not responding sooner .. I'm set up for notifications which show up on the top of my phone screen, however it seems that I don't always get them. In any event I'll try to answer as best I can. The WD2 is an assistance trainer. As with any type of training tool it's supposed to do 2 things .. work and condition the muscles, tendons and ligaments associated with the activity and secondly, it's got to offer carryover to the actual activity .. In this case, reverse grip bending. The WD2 was created strictly for reverse grip bending assistance training and David Horne, the creator of this tool clearly states this on his site. With that said, I and a few other benders have found that the WD2 works well for double underhand "kink" assistance training as well. The design of this tool doesn't allow for a bend greater than 40° because by the rules for both the reverse grip and DU style, a bend if 40° or greater is required for it to pass as being completed. I honestly believe that the WD2' s design coincidentally helps with DU kink work only" because of the certification requirements of a 40° bend or greater. Now on to the question about using it for double overhand training .. ABSOLUTELY NOT! To do so would be extremely counterproductive to your DO bending style and training. Remember, the goal of any worthy training tool is to train the muscles tendons ligaments and such associated with the movement and to offer carryover to the actual thing itself. Using the WD2 for DO training would offer nothing to your success in DO bending because it's such a biomechanically different movement from what it was designed for. For DO training there's nothing else that will work other than just bending or training strategies. You can kink bars then sweep them two days later and finally crush them by the end of the week which I've found to be a very valuable way to train. You can progress to heavier bars using this way of training accordingly and once every 8 weeks, test yourself on a goal bar to see where you're at. Once you've determined your new level of DO bending strength, repeat this type of training and keep progressing. I personally love this way of training because it's a great way to put your steel to good use and you'll have to deal with the work hardening aspects of steel that has been bent in stages .. it becomes tougher each time to continue the bend which aids in strength gains! I hope I was able to answer your questions my friend and if you have any more questions about about the WD2, please drop a line and I'll be more than happy to help!

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 7:08 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

I have the wrist developer, but used it so much the first week (i knew better which makes it worse)... I messed up my forearms, but its finally about 80%, looking forward to really using it finally..  I've only bent 4 or 5  60d nails, but it certainly helps.  Maybe not technique, but for the strength and tendons, yes.  As to doing double overhand... Odds are it probably would be fine, BUT it only takes one time, i'll probably never try it.. But I really don't see why it would be harder on the spring, but maybe its just the position the spring is in on double overhands, your more vulnerable, IF it snaps. 

How are you brother I'm just getting around to reading some of these responses I don't know why I'm not getting the message icon on the top of my phone because I am set up to receive them but I guess it doesn't always work. In any event I answered Gary Gray's comment regarding the use of the WD2 for double overhand and as I stated in my response to his query it is not a good idea to use the WD2 for DO bending because it offers nothing in the ways of biomechanical similarities between actual double overhand bending versus how and why the WD2 was designed. Though the WD2 was invented as a reverse grip bending assistance trainer, it can offer kink work assistance in the double underhand position because by the rules of both the reverse grip and double underhand bending a bend of 40° or greater is required and that is exactly how the WD2 is created. For use in the double overhand position, it would not only offer nothing in the ways of proper training but it is also uncomfortable which again will offer nothing in the ways of training for double overhand bending. As for the spring breaking and snapping during training, I wouldn't worry too much about that as I have found the quality to be fantastic, however a sensible degree of caution when using anything spring loaded should be applied. Thanks again for your response brother!

• Like 1