Slim The Hammer Man

svr

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I found a copy of his DVD on ebay and bought it..  

Now THAT was a buy!👍 Congratulations!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Now THAT was a buy!👍 Congratulations!

Thank you, I couldn't believe it actually popped up when i typed in "Slim the Hammer Man", didn't even think i just  make a reasonable offer.. Once a week or so I make the rounds online to try and find it...  It pays to be a slightly obsessive and stubborn! 

To me, he's #1, there is others who have accomplished a lot more and I realize that but he is a legend and I'll do whatever I can to make sure he isn't forgotten about.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thank you, I couldn't believe it actually popped up when i typed in "Slim the Hammer Man", didn't even think i just  make a reasonable offer.. Once a week or so I make the rounds online to try and find it...  It pays to be a slightly obsessive and stubborn! 

To me, he's #1, there is others who have accomplished a lot more and I realize that but he is a legend and I'll do whatever I can to make sure he isn't forgotten about.

You're lucky! One of my buddies had it. Gonna try and see if I can get my hands in it again. 

22 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I don’t think he’ll be forgotten about anytime soon. I didn’t know the man but I knew the athlete and the performer that he was. He was one of the best ever at his craft, and if not the best ever, certainly the best in his time. 

• Like 4

I grew up on Slim and the Atom - childhood heros of mine.  I got to meet Slim but never did the Atom.  

• Like 5

I never met Slim, but he has had a profound impact on the course of my life. In my house he is like a greek mythic hero; him and the Mighty Atom. I even sometimes say his name with a certain reverence that few others receive. Rest in Peace Slim. You will live on in my house.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 9:32 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

I found a copy of his DVD on ebay and bought it..  

This is one of my favorite DVD's. I don't think I will ever part with it.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 1:40 PM, climber511 said:

I grew up on Slim and the Atom - childhood heros of mine.  I got to meet Slim but never did the Atom.  

Being that neither one was ever mainstream.... And i'm sorry if this is a stupid question... But How one hear about Slim or Mighty Atom back in the day? I'm talking 60's,70s and 80s  magazines I'm assuming...   

The dvd came yesterday, so excited. I've been looking for this a long time... But aggressively for 6 months or so.  Sorry to whoever wishes they bought it before me😜.. Your welcome to come watch it with me, i'll even buy the pizza and beer!

I feel like someone on the Gripboard has to know how to contact Dennis Rogers and talk him into re releasing the Slim DVD.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, stranger said:

I feel like someone on the Gripboard has to know how to contact Dennis Rogers and talk him into re releasing the Slim DVD.

That would be great.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I would like to learn more about Slim and also the Mighty Atom - but not for $200!  Maybe time for me to set up an eBay alert like the Blacksmith!

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, Vinnie said:

I would like to learn more about Slim and also the Mighty Atom - but not for $200!  Maybe time for me to set up an eBay alert like the Blacksmith!

It does pay to be slightly obsessive 🤣

I've learned in life sometimes you gotta create your own opportunities.

RIP to Slim. It seems these days he's forgotten.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 1:04 PM, Vinnie said:

MILO Magazine, September 2011 Issue 19.2

Available on IronMind’s store website, the article is called: Slim the Hammer Man: Modern-Day Superhero. It’s about 2500 words, and has one very cool photo taken at his last AOBS performance in October 2010. He was 76 at that time.

Slim had eight copies of the magazine, as he wanted some for his grandchildren. His words to me were: “It was good”. Originally priced at $20 each, they are currently $7.95 plus shipping from IronMind.

Virtually all of the information was provided to the author by Slim Farman through a series of telephone interviews, plus the author having met with Slim on multiple occasions.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2021 at 8:22 PM, RiotGrip said:

The drive and shear will evident in Slim’s demeanor was truly unique and inspiring, I still view him as an inspiration to my own training.  The “life force” surely will continue.  

A year and one half ago I said that your post, a lengthy personal detailed and heartfelt one, was one of the best I had ever read on the Forum. 
It’s hard to describe, but this particular summation at the end of your post may be the best way to describe what those who knew him “felt”. It is very hard to articulate the invisible, but you successfully did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2023 at 4:35 AM, Hubgeezer said:

A year and one half ago I said that your post, a lengthy personal detailed and heartfelt one, was one of the best I had ever read on the Forum. 
It’s hard to describe, but this particular summation at the end of your post may be the best way to describe what those who knew him “felt”. It is very hard to articulate the invisible, but you successfully did.

Hubgeezer, thank you for the mention!  I’ll admit I wasn’t looking for a gripboard Pulitzer when I wrote that experience.  I just wanted to concisely express my feelings and personal experiences with Slim after hearing of his death.  However the more I think of it, Slim has had an outsized presence in my life relating to strength sport.  He was there the night I certified as Captain of Crush, he also inspired me to achieve the world record on the Baraban Krusher.  I likely never would have considered buying that instrument if Slim hadn’t handed it to me(the original York krusher) in a challenging manner 15 years ago. 

I will personally remember my time with Slim for the rest of my own life and I’ll try and share my experiences and inspiration with anyone willing to listen.

Edited by RiotGrip
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, RiotGrip said:

Hubgeezer, thank you for the mention!  I’ll admit I wasn’t looking for a gripboard Pulitzer when I wrote that experience.  I just wanted to concisely express my feelings and personal experiences with Slim after hearing of his death.  However the more I think of it, Slim has had an outsized presence in my life relating to strength sport.  He was there the night I certified as Captain of Crush, he also inspired me to achieve the world record on the Baraban Krusher.  I likely never would have considered buying that instrument if Slim hadn’t handed it to me(the original York krusher) in a challenging manner 15 years ago. 

I will personally remember my time with Slim for the rest of my own life and I’ll try and share my experiences and inspiration with anyone willing to listen.

There was a Coney Island show that a number of benders and others participated in shortly after Slim's wife passed away. I believe that Slim broke the "Crusher" that was being used at that event. That's what Stanless Steel told me (he was there, his "feat" was to have a truck drive on top of him). It could have been the same gadget that Slim handed you in back in 2002. 

Just a comment for the readers, that particular AOBS dinner in 2002 (when Riotgrip met Slim) was when Mark Henry cleaned and push-pressed the Inch Dumbbell. The only original video for many years of that was filmed by the late Sybersnott of the Gripboard. It was almost 20 years before the WWE's video (which has WAY more views) was released. Personally, I prefer Snott's. 

Talk about the Triple Crown for you (at least) 1) Getting Certified 2) Meeting Slim, and 3) Being a personal witness to the Mark Henry lift. What a night!

Edited by Hubgeezer
Added the Triple Crown
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

There was a Coney Island show that a number of benders and others participated in shortly after Slim's wife passed away. I believe that Slim broke the "Crusher" that was being used at that event. That's what Stanless Steel told me (he was there, his "feat" was to have a truck drive on top of him). It could have been the same gadget that Slim handed you in back in 2002. 

Just a comment for the readers, that particular AOBS dinner in 2002 (when Riotgrip met Slim) was when Mark Henry cleaned and push-pressed the Inch Dumbbell. The only original video for many years of that was filmed by the late Sybersnott of the Gripboard. It was almost 20 years before the WWE's video (which has WAY more views) was released. Personally, I prefer Snott's. 

Talk about the Triple Crown for you (at least) 1) Getting Certified 2) Meeting Slim, and 3) Being a personal witness to the Mark Henry lift. What a night!

Actually, Slim handed me his personal York Krusher in 2008, my meeting in 2002 was a brief conversation after the dinner and performances had concluded.  Slim seemed pretty surprised when I closed his for 10 reps without serious difficulty, but in true Slim fashion he quipped “let me know when you get to 10,000!”   It’s nearly impossible to find the old York Krushers but the newer one is better to train with.  I’d like to think Slim would be proud of me on the Krusher front lol.   I actually sat next to Sybersnott that night at the dinner, I’ve watched the video several times since then, but I have the whole thing etched in mind.

I never thought of the 2002 AOBS dinner in that way, but “triple crown” sums it up nicely in terms of my experience.

EDIT:  that night I also met several other grip/strength legends including: Richard Sorin, Bill Kazmaier, Pat Povilatis, Heath Sexton, Steve Sardicario, Dennis Rogers, Steve Weiner and Tom Black.  Got to shake hands with Slim and Mark Henry, I think Slim’s hands were bigger!😱  (I hope I’m not leaving anyone out, apologies in advance if I did)

Edited by RiotGrip
New info.
  • Like 4

On 7/30/2023 at 8:32 AM, RiotGrip said:

Actually, Slim handed me his personal York Krusher in 2008, my meeting in 2002 was a brief conversation after the dinner and performances had concluded.  Slim seemed pretty surprised when I closed his for 10 reps without serious difficulty, but in true Slim fashion he quipped “let me know when you get to 10,000!”   It’s nearly impossible to find the old York Krushers but the newer one is better to train with.  I’d like to think Slim would be proud of me on the Krusher front lol.   I actually sat next to Sybersnott that night at the dinner, I’ve watched the video several times since then, but I have the whole thing etched in mind.

I never thought of the 2002 AOBS dinner in that way, but “triple crown” sums it up nicely in terms of my experience.

EDIT:  that night I also met several other grip/strength legends including: Richard Sorin, Bill Kazmaier, Pat Povilatis, Heath Sexton, Steve Sardicario, Dennis Rogers, Steve Weiner and Tom Black.  Got to shake hands with Slim and Mark Henry, I think Slim’s hands were bigger!😱  (I hope I’m not leaving anyone out, apologies in advance if I did)

One of the AOBS honorees that night was the Late Great Al Oerter. His was an amazing Olympic Story. Gold Medals in the Discus in four consecutive Olympics, 1956, 1960, 1964, and 1968, then he retired. He tried to make a comeback in his 40s (during the 1980s) and actually was throwing further than he ever did in his life, and farther than the 1980 Boycotted Olympics. But, as we know, "injuries" occurred, and it would take longer and longer for the recovery time. It was long before I discovered "Grip", but it was how I discovered than "older athletes" could do amazing things with strength. He was an inspiration to me. 

For me, that was just another example of how cool the 2002 AOBS Dinner was, which was the first year I ever heard of it...You were there! My late brother told me about it, and said "The Grip Guys sort of took the thing over". A bit of an exaggeration, but the first time I believe they had a strong showing at the event... I believe his source was Joe Roark's Iron History Forum. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

One of the AOBS honorees that night was the Late Great Al Oerter. His was an amazing Olympic Story. Gold Medals in the Discus in four consecutive Olympics, 1956, 1960, 1964, and 1968, then he retired. He tried to make a comeback in his 40s (during the 1980s) and actually was throwing further than he ever did in his life, and farther than the 1980 Boycotted Olympics. But, as we know, "injuries" occurred, and it would take longer and longer for the recovery time. It was long before I discovered "Grip", but it was how I discovered than "older athletes" could do amazing things with strength. He was an inspiration to me. 

For me, that was just another example of how cool the 2002 AOBS Dinner was, which was the first year I ever heard of it...You were there! My late brother told me about it, and said "The Grip Guys sort of took the thing over". A bit of an exaggeration, but the first time I believe they had a strong showing at the event... I believe his source was Joe Roark's Iron History Forum. 

I didn't get to meet Al that night, but his story is inspiring.  I guess you can't talk about that night without mentioning that strength legend Vic Boff organized it and that was his final event being that he passed less than a year later.  Vic was a master at finger twisting and I got to talk to him briefly as well.  Here is a link to the original thread from over 21 years ago that got me the contact info to actually attend this fabled event, if you really want to travel down gripboard memory lane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RiotGrip said:

I didn't get to meet Al that night, but his story is inspiring.  I guess you can't talk about that night without mentioning that strength legend Vic Boff organized it and that was his final event being that he passed less than a year later.  Vic was a master at finger twisting and I got to talk to him briefly as well.  Here is a link to the original thread from over 21 years ago that got me the contact info to actually attend this fabled event, if you really want to travel down gripboard memory lane.

Well, since you remember things pretty well, I want to run something by you. Two gentlemen, both in their 70s now, both around strength for many decades, were Vic Boff fans. Both of these fellows attended that banquet, one of them for the first time. Both of them thought the Mark Henry clean and push press was awesome. But both of them felt that Al Oerter's moment in the spotlight was cut a little short by the WWE's film crew's rush to film Henry, and they thought it was a little like a party crasher scene. Both thought Vic Boff, in a sense, lost control of his event, and it turned out it was his last one. It was as if they believed that Terry Todd, who was Henry's business manager at the time, was a little heavy handed. I never quite could see that, because Terry came off as an educated Texas gentleman. You may be the only "independent" person to weigh in on that. I think there was, back then, a special "old timers" feel to the event, and there are those who thought that after Vic passed, it lost some of its magic. I never experienced a Vic Boff event, and I always thought there was plenty of magic as long as Slim was there...

On 8/1/2023 at 7:35 PM, Hubgeezer said:

Well, since you remember things pretty well, I want to run something by you. Two gentlemen, both in their 70s now, both around strength for many decades, were Vic Boff fans. Both of these fellows attended that banquet, one of them for the first time. Both of them thought the Mark Henry clean and push press was awesome. But both of them felt that Al Oerter's moment in the spotlight was cut a little short by the WWE's film crew's rush to film Henry, and they thought it was a little like a party crasher scene. Both thought Vic Boff, in a sense, lost control of his event, and it turned out it was his last one. It was as if they believed that Terry Todd, who was Henry's business manager at the time, was a little heavy handed. I never quite could see that, because Terry came off as an educated Texas gentleman. You may be the only "independent" person to weigh in on that. I think there was, back then, a special "old timers" feel to the event, and there are those who thought that after Vic passed, it lost some of its magic. I never experienced a Vic Boff event, and I always thought there was plenty of magic as long as Slim was there...

I do remember it fairly well, and I’ll be honest I was not aware that a WWE film crew was even there.  I knew the feat was being filmed by several people, but in my mind at 25 years old I just figured “of course you are going to film this”.  I don’t remember seeing a WWE sign at any point that night.  Being that I didn’t watch WWE, I don’t think I was aware that Henry was a part of it in 2002.  I knew who Mark Henry was, but at that point in my life I only knew him as competitive power lifter, and Olympic weightlifter and the man with the Highest “super total” of lifts, yet I was completely unaware he was in the WWE.   While Mark Henry’s feat was the most hyped of the night, I was more excited to see some the “old time” and more traditional strongmen at the event.  I did get to shake Mark Henry’s hand but it was basically in a receiving line, I’m sure I wouldn’t have been able to actually walk up to him and have a conversation, but other than congratulating him I’m not sure what I would have said anyway.  So I could not appreciate any “heavy handed business dealings” I probably would have been oblivious anyway.  But honestly I mainly remember walking in, meeting the guys from the board, closing grippers, walking up to Randy Strossen and asking if I could certify, watching the performances, listening to the awards, eating, then socializing some more and driving home at midnight.  

When I signed up to go, I really was just interested in meeting guys from the board and seeing the strength performances.  I didn’t go there expecting to certify as a CoC, I closed a #3 and Steve Weiner said “we gotta get you certified!”.  The thought of certifying didn’t even cross my mind until he said it, but it certainly didn’t seem like a bad idea at the time.  I also didn’t think I would have such access to legends of the iron game.   From my recollection, it definitely had an “old timers” and raw feel—basically everyone there was a strong dude in some way shape or form(or married to one) and I wouldn’t describe it at as corporate at all.  It was almost the equivalent of wedding reception or fireman’s ball, but for strongmen and fans of the iron game.  The fact that I could just walk up to guys like Slim the Hammerman and Bill Kazmaier, have a conversation with them and get a picture after sitting at a table and eating dinner with Richard Sorin was almost overwhelming to me at the time.  Vic Boff was the closest thing to an M.C. at that dinner and while I wouldn’t say he ran the tightest ship, you certainly knew he was in charge.  I don’t think it got away from him at all.  My opinion is not biased, but I may have been oblivious to certain goings on.  Also keep in mind 2002 was the only year I ever attended so I can’t compare it to anything else.  I hope this answers your question, but I’d be happy to give more specific details if possible.

9 hours ago, RiotGrip said:

I do remember it fairly well, and I’ll be honest I was not aware that a WWE film crew was even there.  I knew the feat was being filmed by several people, but in my mind at 25 years old I just figured “of course you are going to film this”.  I don’t remember seeing a WWE sign at any point …

...  Vic Boff was the closest thing to an M.C. at that dinner and while I wouldn’t say he ran the tightest ship, you certainly knew he was in charge.  I don’t think it got away from him at all.  My opinion is not biased, but I may have been oblivious to certain goings on.  Also keep in mind 2002 was the only year I ever attended so I can’t compare it to anything else.  I hope this answers your question, but I’d be happy to give more specific details if possible.

Several unrelated things going on here. As people reading my comments about that night can see, even though I was not there, I have been fairly “obsessive” about it. And, have been for years, having spoken to many who were there. I don’t have any inside information on “AOBS mucky mucks”, nor have I ever even heard rumors they were bent out of shape about what two fellows (knowledgeable guys but not connected with AOBS) described as a certain degree of high jacking of the night by Terry Todd. 
Snott’s video, which was all we ever had on Henry’s lift, is barely locatable on the Internet since the WWE footage exploded all over the Internet after almost 20 years. Two things: His video captures a cameraman with a monster sized unit filming (instead of “FBI” emblazoned of the back of his clothes it said FILM CREW).

Second, after Mark Henry completes the lift, he picks up the dumbbell, walks over to the headtable where future AOBS leader Artie Drecsler (spelling?} is seated and drops the bell (huge noise) right in front of Artie, who does not look happy.

That does not support or prove that Vic Boff lost control of the event or that Al Oerter did not get his propers, but…

Every person, without exception, described Henry’s feat as awesome. And it was one of those rare moments where in the Strength World, “Grip” was a World Famous subject of discussion.

It was three years after that banquet before my son and I made it to AOBS, but if not for that feat, I doubt if I would have attended, I never would have met some great guys, I never would have met Slim, and my son would have never would have picked up a barbell. And my son, more than a foot shorter than Carl Meyerscough, more than 120 pounds lighter than Carl, I learned, after listening to Carl’s recent interview with Pancho, can deadlift 40 pounds more than Carl. Had he not met Slim, that never would have happened. My son wanted the two of us to fly 3000 miles to go to Slim’s funeral. I wish that we did.

I have enjoyed your comments on this thread, and it has resulted with a certain degree of memories and reflection for me, thanks for posting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Several unrelated things going on here. As people reading my comments about that night can see, even though I was not there, I have been fairly “obsessive” about it. And, have been for years, having spoken to many who were there. I don’t have any inside information on “AOBS mucky mucks”, nor have I ever even heard rumors they were bent out of shape about what two fellows (knowledgeable guys but not connected with AOBS) described as a certain degree of high jacking of the night by Terry Todd. 
Snott’s video, which was all we ever had on Henry’s lift, is barely locatable on the Internet since the WWE footage exploded all over the Internet after almost 20 years. Two things: His video captures a cameraman with a monster sized unit filming (instead of “FBI” emblazoned of the back of his clothes it said FILM CREW).

Second, after Mark Henry completes the lift, he picks up the dumbbell, walks over to the headtable where future AOBS leader Artie Drecsler (spelling?} is seated and drops the bell (huge noise) right in front of Artie, who does not look happy.

That does not support or prove that Vic Boff lost control of the event or that Al Oerter did not get his propers, but…

Every person, without exception, described Henry’s feat as awesome. And it was one of those rare moments where in the Strength World, “Grip” was a World Famous subject of discussion.

It was three years after that banquet before my son and I made it to AOBS, but if not for that feat, I doubt if I would have attended, I never would have met some great guys, I never would have met Slim, and my son would have never would have picked up a barbell. And my son, more than a foot shorter than Carl Meyerscough, more than 120 pounds lighter than Carl, I learned, after listening to Carl’s recent interview with Pancho, can deadlift 40 pounds more than Carl. Had he not met Slim, that never would have happened. My son wanted the two of us to fly 3000 miles to go to Slim’s funeral. I wish that we did.

I have enjoyed your comments on this thread, and it has resulted with a certain degree of memories and reflection for me, thanks for posting.

It makes me so happy to read all these and to see Slim and other old timers not forgotten.

2 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

So to be clear about this point is Artie Drecsler the African American man standing right there?  That guy was an honoree for his history in weightlifting and maybe bodybuilding.   If so, the footage doesn't show what happened after Mark Henry set the bell on the table.  That guy put his hand on the Inch, smiled and jokingly acted as if he were going to lift it himself(knowing full well it was beyond his capability).  I don't think he was upset, the look on his face in the WWE video was likely one of shock and surprise rather than anger.  I'm not sure Snott's video captured the post inch drop footage of him, but I do remember that clearly.

Edit: I looked up Artie Dreschler, and he is Caucasian, he was right behind the guy who jokingly grabbed the inch as if to take it off the table.  I'm not sure how Artie felt about the whole thing, but I'd suspect surprise was part of his reaction.

Edited by RiotGrip