Grippers for ChestCrush training

Alex K

Hello everyone! Recently I started to occasionally work on ChestCrushing my GHP10 and other less heavy grippers, but feel like at some point it might be fun and useful to find even heavier grippers to try and close.

I have a BB World Class rated around 285, which is rather very similar to my 283 rated GHP10.

Do you guys happen to know of cool and quality grippers rated in the realms of 300 to 400? Would be interesting to try to progress towards very heavy ChestCrush closes :) 

• Like 3

I want to say that there were some AtomGripz grippers that were in the 300 range. They're pretty hard to come by though but would be super useful for bending. Who knows, if there is enough demand CPW might come out with Standard Grippers that are above Tungstenbut still below Unobtainium. 😅

5 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

Hello everyone! Recently I started to occasionally work on ChestCrushing my GHP10 and other less heavy grippers, but feel like at some point it might be fun and useful to find even heavier grippers to try and close.

I have a BB World Class rated around 285, which is rather very similar to my 283 rated GHP10.

Do you guys happen to know of cool and quality grippers rated in the realms of 300 to 400? Would be interesting to try to progress towards very heavy ChestCrush closes :) 

My Atomgripz is rated at 305. I have a few Tetting grippers that are bigger than World Class but smaller than the Hercules. They’d easily rate 300-400 and probably well beyond that. 

• Like 1

Honestly I admire anyone brave enough to attempt closing a spring that big o-o I heard that once it goes to near 300 and beyond, it has a high risk of snapping (unless i misunderstood something) But either way, once you get ahold of such a gripper, i think you can work up to it for sure! :D

22 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

Honestly I admire anyone brave enough to attempt closing a spring that big o-o I heard that once it goes to near 300 and beyond, it has a high risk of snapping (unless i misunderstood something) But either way, once you get ahold of such a gripper, i think you can work up to it for sure! :D

I could be wrong, but I think the fear with them snapping was actually that the aluminum handles would break under the pressure. With steel handles it might be a different story though. @Cannon do you have further insight after rating so many grippers and then also creating them?

There's also this video and thread about a Tetting Thor that rated 607 lbs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I could be wrong, but I think the fear with them snapping was actually that the aluminum handles would break under the pressure. With steel handles it might be a different story though. @Cannon do you have further insight after rating so many grippers and then also creating them?

There's also this video and thread about a Tetting Thor that rated 607 lbs.

0.0 i actually never would have thought of that. huh. but that would make a lot of sense now that you mention it

There's not a lot of options in that range.

What you could do is remove the handles from a GHP10 and cut the legs of the spring shorter and even cut the handles shorter as well.

Or it's just easier to train with steel, hot rolled and stainless steel from 8 mm and larger, at lengths no longer than 180 mm will be very hard to crush and it will give very good chest crush training. You will get a lot out of it for the same price as buying several grippers to train with. However you can only use it once, but you should also get some isometrics out of it, so you will be able to use it several times before you manage to crush it.

8 mm 8.8 grade bolts are very hard to crush. Then you have 10.9 and 12.9 grade at the same size which are ridiculously hard...

You might have to kink the bars in a vice to get it to the right positions if you're not able to bent it yourself.

Once you can crush the really hard bolts I don't really see that any gripper would stop you (only counting with grippers that are actually made to be closed).

• Like 3