Thick grips and wrist strength?

hellswindstaff

I couldn't find this question answered anywhere. Has anyone noticed an increase in wrist strength from thick grips?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hellswindstaff said:

I couldn't find this question answered anywhere. Has anyone noticed an increase in wrist strength from thick grips?

Yeah I have especially after doing some thumbless stuff with them.

When I first started using them my wrist would buckle under the weight but after using them for a while that stopped and my wrist got stronger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Yeah I have especially after doing some thumbless stuff with them.

When I first started using them my wrist would buckle under the weight but after using them for a while that stopped and my wrist got stronger.

When u do thumbless lifts does your wrist bend inwards or do u keep A straight wrist  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfin77 said:

When u do thumbless lifts does your wrist bend inwards or do u keep A straight wrist  

I would bend inward on stuff like wrist curls but not on holds.

I would bend my wrist inward to pick it up and then gradually straighten out my wrist as much as possible and just hold at the top with my thumb on top of the fatgrip.

I just tested it again to make sure I got it right.

I grabbed my 45 lbs DB and put a Fatgripz Extreme on it and lifted it thumbless with a straight wrist.

Let the weight rest on your fingers and pick it up with a straight wrist. This will absolutely trash your wrist so start out light and work your way up. 

Edited by DevilErik

4 hours ago, mfin77 said:

I’ll give it a try, I always find myself putting my wrist inward and my wrist hurting the next day.  Thx 

You're welcome man I hope it helps!

Yes. Thumbless especially. I have also found thick bar curls to be very good for increased wrist strength as you wrists work hard to keep your hand straight. I had great carryover to the wrist wrench using thick bar curls. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1