Copper?

Fist of Fury

How is it to bend? I used to bend a lot of copper pipes when working as a plumber a long time ago but of course only with bending tools :D

I know it's not the cheapest material but I wonder if anyone knows how it compares to the usual types of steel we bend? Has anyone tried?

• Like 1

I was also curious about copper a few years back. Bought 8mm round stock. It was very soft. Could probably bend 8mm barehanded.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

How is it to bend? I used to bend a lot of copper pipes when working as a plumber a long time ago but of course only with bending tools :D

I know it's not the cheapest material but I wonder if anyone knows how it compares to the usual types of steel we bend? Has anyone tried?

ironically i never thought of bending copper. i'd wonder about stainless steel or something similar but thats about it. clever of you to think about that :D

I’ve looked into it before as well, potentially as another option aside from brass. It would be interesting to see what diameter it starts to be tough, but the price point might be the limiting factor. I don’t know if it is the copper or the bronze that makes brass expensive, and I don’t know which of the two is the softer metal. 

1 hour ago, devinhoo said:

I’ve looked into it before as well, potentially as another option aside from brass. It would be interesting to see what diameter it starts to be tough, but the price point might be the limiting factor. I don’t know if it is the copper or the bronze that makes brass expensive, and I don’t know which of the two is the softer metal. 

Brass is copper + zinc and bronze is copper + tin. They're both expensive because of the copper. 

Price is definitely the big issue that would make this silly, but copper is less than half as strong as steel, and also squishier. Then again, it's much easier to melt down and cast into new bars to bend forever, tho probably only worthwhile unless you already have a kiln. 

• Thanks 1