Current Overall North American Grip Rankings – Updated November 3 2021

Eric Roussin

Based on an analysis of contest results from the past year, I’ve updated my list of the current overall Top 10 North American active grip sport athletes:

1 - Tanner Merkle (TX)
2 - Carl Myerscough (CA)
3 - Jedd Johnson (PA)
4 - Jason Dingey (OH)
5 - Adam Glass (TX)
6 - Brad Provick (SK)
7 - Gil Goodman (TN)
8 - Joel Dircks (MN)
9 - Steve Millard (CO)
10 - Eric Roussin (ON)

For now, I've excluded Martins Licis and Dave Labbe, simply due to the limited types of events in which they've competed recently. But if I was to rank them,  I'd probably have Martins at around 4 and Dave maybe around 6 or 7.

I feel like I'm only keeping Luke Raymond's spot warm for him while he fully recovers from his injury. I realize Jason hurt himself as well, but for now I think he should still be ranked.

I welcome other opinions. Michael Thomas -- I know you have thoughts about this. :)

• Like 8

Eric, very strong top 10 list and I would not change anybody. Grip is in great hands(no pun intended) with Tanner leading the way along with Adam, yourself(Eric Roussin) Jedd, Jason, etc. being such great ambassadors for the sport. Lots of exciting and strong men and women that are not in top 10 too in 2021! Well- done Eric!

Edited by Kluv#0
Typo
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Based on an analysis of contest results from the past year, I’ve updated my list of the current overall Top 10 North American active grip sport athletes:

1 - Tanner Merkle (TX)
2 - Carl Myerscough (CA)
3 - Jedd Johnson (PA)
4 - Jason Dingey (OH)
5 - Adam Glass (TX)
6 - Brad Provick (SK)
7 - Gil Goodman (TN)
8 - Joel Dircks (MN)
9 - Steve Millard (CO)
10 - Eric Roussin (ON)

For now, I've excluded Martins Licis and Dave Labbe, simply due to the limited types of events in which they've competed recently. But if I was to rank them,  I'd probably have Martins at around 4 and Dave maybe around 6 or 7.

I feel like I'm only keeping Luke Raymond's spot warm for him while he fully recovers from his injury. I realize Jason hurt himself as well, but for now I think he should still be ranked.

I welcome other opinions. Michael Thomas -- I know you have thoughts about this. :)

Edited by Kluv#0
  • Like 1

Nice list - I agree with your choices.

I started Grip Sport in 2003 as did many of us.  What would be nice to see is strongest "per every 5 years " or some such.  In other words your list every so many years.  Competitors change as do events etc.  How many of those same people have (or would have) made the list "back in the day"?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I started Grip Sport in 2003 as did many of us.  What would be nice to see is strongest "per every 5 years " or some such.  In other words your list every so many years.  Competitors change as do events etc.  How many of those same people have (or would have) made the list "back in the day"?

I thought about this two years ago and came up with these: 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

And the answer is Jedd. He's the only one to be listed every single year back to 2003. Super impressive.

10 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

And the answer is Jedd. He's the only one to be listed every single year back to 2003. Super impressive.

Yes - it shows Jedd's total dedication to the sport for going on 2 decades - super impressive.  Thanks so much Eric - the things you do for us is very appreciated!

• Like 1