Sledgehammer Thickbar training

DevilErik

Hey guys I can finally use my fatgripz again the duct tape fix works great.

I really enjoy using my sledgehammer and I was wondering if sledge deadlifts with a fatgrip on it is a viable way to train thickbar.

I also use my db with bands hooked over it but since I am trying to bring up my lower back I am already doing tons of volume for it so I am kinda looking for a way to train my grip using the lighest weight possible.

Thanks in advance,

Erik

With your goal being light weight - yes you’ll get a grip workout. In terms of what result you would get - I would expect minimum gains- no matter how hard you make say 20 lb - it’s still only 20 lb. a dumbbell or barbell and a fatgripz is proven effective- why not just begin modestly and crockpot your way back to a strong back?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

With your goal being light weight - yes you’ll get a grip workout. In terms of what result you would get - I would expect minimum gains- no matter how hard you make say 20 lb - it’s still only 20 lb. a dumbbell or barbell and a fatgripz is proven effective- why not just begin modestly and crockpot your way back to a strong back?

Hey Adam thanks for answering my question!

My goal isn't necessarily light weight, the problem is the volume and my recovery. I haven't been able to train my lower back directly for years due to having an accident when I was younger.

I have built up my lower back gradually with indirect work, up until the point I could start doing direct work.

Building up my lower back is a major goal for me right now so that's why I was wondering if there is a way to do so with a sledgehammer due to the lever arms involved. 

I now know that I should just build up gradually and not worry about finding a way to do so with the lightest weight possible since you obviously know what you are talking about.

Best way to train if you want to lift minimal weight is the wrist wrench. Also plate curls. You really need to train the fingers to get better at thick bar. You're not going to get that from levering, not in the same way.

• Like 1

Its not a bad idea... I'd probably throw that in once in awhile.  It will help your grip, wont builld overall strength... It all depends on your goals... try some dead hangs on something thick.... work your grip and dead hangs are great for back....

2 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Best way to train if you want to lift minimal weight is the wrist wrench. Also plate curls. You really need to train the fingers to get better at thick bar. You're not going to get that from levering, not in the same way.

I really want to get the wrist wrench, it's just that I have minimal equipment and I have to prioritse getting things like a power rack, barbells and plates at the moment.

I will keep doing the dumbbell and bands thing for now, my fatgripz all have tape in them so I can try to get some big numbers lifting it with my rogue bands.

Once I get my barbell and plates I can start using that with fatgripz and then I can start accumulating more grip stuff.

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Its not a bad idea... I'd probably throw that in once in awhile.  It will help your grip, wont builld overall strength... It all depends on your goals... try some dead hangs on something thick.... work your grip and dead hangs are great for back....

I just want a mad strong well rounded grip.

I want to be good at every thing wide pinch, narrow pinch ,thick bar,  grippers key pinch and wrist work. I am trying to get good at all of them

The other thing, and not to change the subject... if your back bothers you, you gotta try yoga. I suffered from sciatica for years and my back still acts up once in while... I just do online yoga, 10-20minute videos a few times a week. I really don't think I could focus on yoga if i went to in person classes.

7 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

The other thing, and not to change the subject... if your back bothers you, you gotta try yoga. I suffered from sciatica for years and my back still acts up once in while... I just do online yoga, 10-20minute videos a few times a week. I really don't think I could focus on yoga if i went to in person classes.

Thanks for the tip but my issue is permanent I have got a whiplash I am fully recovered but there are things that I will never be able to do like deadlifting heavy. I have tried deadlifting in the past and my lower body went completely numb I also risk ending up in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. My neck and back will always be weakpoints no matter how strong I get.

Edited by DevilErik

Just now, Joe Sullivan said:

You can make your own wrist wrench with whatever size pipe you want very very cheaply. 

I wanted to get the pipe and the concrete tiles but the quality of the tiles is very shitty. I have to look for better tiles and then I can make a loading pin and possibly a wrist wrench.

2 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Thanks for the tip but my issue is permanent I have got a whiplash I am fully recovered but there are things that I will never be able to do like deadlifting heavy. I have tried deadlifting in the past and my lower body went completely numb I also risk ending up in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. 

Sorry to hear that.  I'd still recommend it. It's one of the greatest things I ever started doing for myself. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Sorry to hear that.  I'd still recommend it. It's one of the greatest things I ever started doing for myself. 

It's alright man I thank god every single day that I am still alive and that I don't have any permanent pain or damage. With the accident I have had I could have been dead, in a wheelchair or a vegetable.

Edited by DevilErik

5 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

You can make your own wrist wrench with whatever size pipe you want very very cheaply. 

I am going to try and make one then!

47 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Yea don’t waste your money on things that can be made easily and cheaply just as well. You can even make a 2 hands version with a longer pipe. Wrist wrench IMO is the best piece of grip handle equipment ever made for wrist, finger snd thumb strength. An “if you can only have one” attachment... that would be it. 

Awesome thanks for the help once again!

7 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Hey Adam thanks for answering my question!

My goal isn't necessarily light weight, the problem is the volume and my recovery. I haven't been able to train my lower back directly for years due to having an accident when I was younger.

I have built up my lower back gradually with indirect work, up until the point I could start doing direct work.

Building up my lower back is a major goal for me right now so that's why I was wondering if there is a way to do so with a sledgehammer due to the lever arms involved. 

I now know that I should just build up gradually and not worry about finding a way to do so with the lightest weight possible since you obviously know what you are talking about.

I can’t recommend enough investigating the proper use of the kettlebell- kb swings and snatches have rebuilt countless backs. It allows you to scale the work in many ways - throwing around a mere 35 lb can transform both the muscular and cardiovascular systems rapidly. If I could only take one tool for the rest of my life in fitness it would be the kettlebell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

I can’t recommend enough investigating the proper use of the kettlebell- kb swings and snatches have rebuilt countless backs. It allows you to scale the work in many ways - throwing around a mere 35 lb can transform both the muscular and cardiovascular systems rapidly. If I could only take one tool for the rest of my life in fitness it would be the kettlebell. 

I will look into it, I have never used a kettlebell in my life.

Thanks for your help man I really appreciate it!