RGT numbers compared to the RT

mcalpine1986

Ive just bought Grip genies RGT handle and was wondering about anyone who has one and a IM rolling thunder, how do your numbers compare? 

Im aware of Jedd johnsons excellent rolling handle comparsion series of vids and know the RGT came in 2nd hardest but was wondering about other individuals differences. 

I have an old RT from 2004 what spins very well, ive barely used it ive just never liked using it.

My numbers are pretty poor on both as ive rarely trained open hand strength. I plan to focus on it now.

I Tried the RGT this morning and got:

49kg/108lbs thumb wrapped

54kg/119lbs thumbless

IM RT 

60kg/132lbs thumb wrapped

62kg/139lbs thumbless

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

It depends on the model of the RT you get and how old it is as most of them seem to seize up whether a little or a lot over time.  They all vary way too much to make a comparison on them. They are terrible handles to make measurable and accurate ratings on over a scale of people. 

I agree with everything you are saying regarding the RT. They are a badly designed handle and with various models it will vary but im a numbers guy and was just curious what sort of poundage people could pull on them both. 

Edited by mcalpine1986

As Joe said, they are terrible. You will get totally meaningless numbers. If you're really strong and can pull a lot of weight they become even more inaccurate.

I've done 79.6, 89.6 and 95 on three different RT handles. I definitely rank the lowest number as my PB since that was on a new and good handle.

Drill a hole in the plastic and put some lubricant there and the handle becomes basically as hard as a thick handle DB. At least for a while.

However it doesn't change the fact that the plastic can deform under high load, reducing the spin. So in those cases it can actually be easier to progress for the very strong people.

In my opinion Jedd killed all the discussions of rolling handles and how they compare with his video series.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

As Joe said, they are terrible. You will get totally meaningless numbers. If you're really strong and can pull a lot of weight they become even more inaccurate.

I've done 79.6, 89.6 and 95 on three different RT handles. I definitely rank the lowest number as my PB since that was on a new and good handle.

Drill a hole in the plastic and put some lubricant there and the handle becomes basically as hard as a thick handle DB. At least for a while.

However it doesn't change the fact that the plastic can deform under high load, reducing the spin. So in those cases it can actually be easier to progress for the very strong people.

In my opinion Jedd killed all the discussions of rolling handles and how they compare with his video series.

Thanks for chiming in. I agree they are terrible handles and very inconsistant. 

Have you tried the RGT? 

I enjoyed Jedds series on Rolling handles myself.

Edited by mcalpine1986

No I haven't. I've tried all three generations of RT, RB 60 mm and LGC. Think I did 71 with the RB as my best. It's a lot harder than RT since the pain is very slick. LGC I had a long way ago when I started grip training so I don't really have a real PB on that one but I guess somewhere around 68 kg would have been so if I had it.

• Thanks 1

Paul I’m consistent at 106-107 kg on RT and on the RGT 91-92 kg. Tanner is consistent 117-120 on the RT, and 100 on the RGT. The recent super series results are posted at ArmliftingUSA where the RGT was used - many of those lifters have an RT result posted so you can compare apples to apples for a competition result. The RGT is definitely a good handle for both training and contests- side by side all of the RGT I have seen are identical. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never used an RGT unfortunately but I have a new model RT and have access to an original RT model. Jedd has a video from some years back showing an old RT that has zero spin. The frame doesn't move under its own weight lol. The model I have access to is the same as Jedd's and it doesn't move a millimeter under its own weight. My new RT drops immediately under its own weight and is actually quite challenging. Even compared to a 2.5" FBBC Crusher I find the new RT's are fairly challenging albeit in a good way. I believe @Nuttgens may even have an RT from the same batch as myself and I think he believes the new RT to be fairly challenging. Problem is as others have said how can anyone get accurate numbers when their is such inconsistencies with the different RT generation models 🤔 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Paul I’m consistent at 106-107 kg on RT and on the RGT 91-92 kg. Tanner is consistent 117-120 on the RT, and 100 on the RGT. The recent super series results are posted at ArmliftingUSA where the RGT was used - many of those lifters have an RT result posted so you can compare apples to apples for a competition result. The RGT is definitely a good handle for both training and contests- side by side all of the RGT I have seen are identical. 

Thats exactly what i was looking for, thanks adam. Ill check that out and i also saved that spreadsheet you sent me.

This is More just for curiousity tbh as i like seeing lifting numbers compared, im a bit geeky like that.

Ill propably never use the RT again. The RGT is just a great handle. 

Edited by mcalpine1986

1 hour ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Never used an RGT unfortunately but I have a new model RT and have access to an original RT model. Jedd has a video from some years back showing an old RT that has zero spin. The frame doesn't move under its own weight lol. The model I have access to is the same as Jedd's and it doesn't move a millimeter under its own weight. My new RT drops immediately under its own weight and is actually quite challenging. Even compared to a 2.5" FBBC Crusher I find the new RT's are fairly challenging albeit in a good way. I believe @Nuttgens may even have an RT from the same batch as myself and I think he believes the new RT to be fairly challenging. Problem is as others have said how can anyone get accurate numbers when their is such inconsistencies with the different RT generation models 🤔 

I have seen that video, its quite funny when it doesnt move. Mine is old but moves freely and drops but ive never liked and rarely use it. 

Ive never had access to a new one ethier. Ill be sticking with the RGT now. I need to bring my open hand strength way up. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I have seen that video, its quite funny when it doesnt move. Mine is old but moves freely and drops but ive never liked and rarely use it. 

Ive never had access to a new one ethier. Ill be sticking with the RGT now. I need to bring my open hand strength way up. 

That's what gets me with the RT. If you told me you had an old one I'd assume it may not spin much if at all. Little do I know yours spins so it just goes to show the huge discrepancies and how they're all over the map for degree of difficulty lol. It's funny because I like my RT and would even go as far as to say it could build quite a strong hand but besides the inconsistency issues the other gripe I have is the ambiguity of the plastic handle. For instance depending on humid weather, dry weather, average moisture levels etc. you really have to play around with how much chalk you use vs breathing in your hand to get that kind of tacky substance in your hand. If I use my wrist wrench, loadable dumbbells(2" & 2 7/8") or my buddies 2.5" Crusher you just walk to the chalk bin and chalk up regardless of weather conditions and lift the thing lol. The RT on the other hand you damn near have to be a meteorologist to optimize what goes on your hand to lift the most weight lol. 

Seems like your doing really well with your wrist wrench so hopefully the gains transfer well to other open hand implements 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

That's what gets me with the RT. If you told me you had an old one I'd assume it may not spin much if at all. Little do I know yours spins so it just goes to show the huge discrepancies and how they're all over the map for degree of difficulty lol. It's funny because I like my RT and would even go as far as to say it could build quite a strong hand but besides the inconsistency issues the other gripe I have is the ambiguity of the plastic handle. For instance depending on humid weather, dry weather, average moisture levels etc. you really have to play around with how much chalk you use vs breathing in your hand to get that kind of tacky substance in your hand. If I use my wrist wrench, loadable dumbbells(2" & 2 7/8") or my buddies 2.5" Crusher you just walk to the chalk bin and chalk up regardless of weather conditions and lift the thing lol. The RT on the other hand you damn near have to be a meteorologist to optimize what goes on your hand to lift the most weight lol. 

Seems like your doing really well with your wrist wrench so hopefully the gains transfer well to other open hand implements 👍

Yeah mine is old from 2004, it spins well but its probably because its been used maybe 5-6 times. David wigren told me his is also from 2004 and still spins very well. Maybe it was a good year for them lol.

Wrist wrenches are gold and i will continue to train mine as well as the RGT now. Thick bar dumbbell deadlifts like you do are very effective as well for open hand strength. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

Only in America can an entertainer make a splash with videos showing his medium talent on IronMind products, obtain more video views than virtually all serious posts combined on this forum, proceed to copy every one of those products, and have people on that forum trash the products of the innovative sponsor of the very same forum that it sponsors.

Joe Weider had nothing on the rapid rise of Jon Call/Jujyfruit. It took Weider decades to take his second rate products to International success. Jujyfruit pulled it off at light speed, except with better products than Weider. 

Call me old-fashioned, but I will take a pass on buying Jujyfruit’s products. Most people liked Led Zeppelin’s songs better than the artists from whom they stole, but a few of us didn’t buy it.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Only in America can an entertainer make a splash with videos showing his medium talent on IronMind products, obtain more video views than virtually all serious posts combined on this forum, proceed to copy every one of those products, and have people on that forum trash the products of the innovative sponsor of the very same forum that it sponsors.

Joe Weider had nothing on the rapid rise of Jon Call/Jujyfruit. It took Weider decades to take his second rate products to International success. Jujyfruit pulled it off at light speed, except with better products than Weider. 

Call me old-fashioned, but I will take a pass on buying Jujyfruit’s products. Most people liked Led Zeppelin’s songs better than the artists from whom they stole, but a few of us didn’t buy it.

It's not only in America. I think it's universal. That's how capitalism works. 99% is about marketing 1% of quality. In this particular case I think it's good since the RGT is indeed better quality than the RT. If IM wants to sell more products they should make a better handle then invest in marketing. That's how it works everywhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Do you still get your movies from blockbuster? I'm sorry for my differing opinion, but IronMind failed to adapt (in the rolling handle arena). When companies don't make changes or improvements that someone else is willing to do, they go out of business. IronMind is staying alive by doing gimmick updates like adding non-functional end caps and deleting all previous records that athletes worked so hard for. I appreciate their innovation and getting the grip world to where it is today - they definitely deserve the income they've made from that time. But they don't deserve continued income for the past success. Businesses don't make money because of their history, they do because of their innovation; something IM is not doing right now. Hence why there's so much room for competitors to sweep up the market share with good products like grippers that don't all look the same to a layperson and a rolling handle that actually rolls.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

I would not waste my money on those Grip genie  products Either only because I would rather support the smaller American made  manufacturers    but that still doesn’t change the fact that the rolling thunder is a poor handle. The concept of course is great And they were revolutionary with the concept  but not the materials used to make it and since then other companies have surpassed it in quality and measured reliability along a range of users.
Most iron mind products are great And I own most of them  but that one misses the mark.

I personally really like grip genie myself, they're smaller than alot of companies (know the names of the couple guys working there) and their stuff is good, Especially the blocks wrist wrench and rolling handle, The grippers can leave alot to be desired tho

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Daaaamn Geezer! Tell us how you really feel! 😂

I feel the same way about a lot of stuff these days.

not trying to get in here on Ironmind’s behalf.. because I know Randy can hold his own. I will point out tho that Ironmind is still the top dog when it comes to grip equipment. At least in terms of revenue anyways. You can measure Randy’s success in millions (plural). Where as Juji may one day approach those numbers with grip genie, it seems that his main source of revenue is still marketing himself.

I’ve already stated that the RGT is my favorite rolling handle ever made. But saying that isn’t an attack on Ironmind. I mainly dig the RGT on its industrial look. Just some bolts, a bare steel frame, and a basic handle. A rudimentary design is more appealing to me on almost all “stuff”. And that’s exactly what the RGT is. Rudimentary.

FWIW, Ironmind still makes and sells the gold standard for axles. Nothing else stacks up. And IMO, the axle is, and will always remain the king dingaling of grip implements.

and on a side note, I wasn’t willing to spend a dime of my money with grip genie as long as Tom was a part of it. Nor would I watch jujis channel while Tom was a part of it either. I took that stance a few years back, and was met with disdain from confused fans, who apparently weren’t great at judging character. I spotted that guy as a worm early on, and was vocal about it. It fell on def ears then. and then later when Tom showed his true colors in an undeniable fashion, everyone that questioned my early opinion on Tom then acted like they forgot I had already warned them. But hey, that time has passed now.. and as a humble reward to juji for parting ways with Tom, I made my contribution and resubscribed to jujis channel, and bought a RGT.

overall I wouldn’t worry that Ironmind is gonna get pushed out. Grip genie makes a pretty good rolling handle. But everything else they sell has a “me too” factor to it.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 5:18 AM, Joe Sullivan said:

I guess by saying “smaller companies” I mean where guys don’t have millions  or so you tube subscribers making major money already. I prefer to  support the little guy working out of his garage.

I understand supporting guys like David Horne, Cannon, Robert baraban and ect ect, But Ironmind definitely ain't a small company xD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I understand supporting guys like David Horne, Cannon, Robert baraban and ect ect, But Ironmind definitely ain't a small company xD

How do you, or anyone here, define a “small company”?

Annual Gross Receipts?

Number of employees?

Net income for the year?

i'm glad to hear people lift significantly less with the RGT... I never tried the RT. But I could only do about 80lbs or so in my RGT when I got it..  But haven't touched it in awhile...   Hopefully I could do 100 with RT.

15 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Are you in America? I’ll send you mine for free. It’s pure garbage.

yeah, Boston, i gotta give you something for it though. I'm leaving for work now, but i'll private message you in a little bit. Thanks