Just got the wrist developer!

Blacksmith513

My long term goal is to get into bending, and sledgehammers.... My first couple years, i've had some shitty programing when it comes to grip training.. But i started an altered version David Hornes beginner routine, Monday and Friday... Wednesday, its gonna be the wrist developer for now... Its pretty cool,  once I achieve the few goals I have in mind, I feel I will be prepared for bending steel.  I got the orange spring.. I could bend it pretty easy in the second notch from the bottom, and must have done 30 or 40 reps on the lowest one (not in one set)... But I didn't go any higher, i felt it working my forearms in places I didn't know existed.  I know its a well known device around here, but with my limited knowledge to this sport, I feel it's worth the money. I'm already eager to buy additional springs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 2:34 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

My long term goal is to get into bending, and sledgehammers.... My first couple years, i've had some shitty programing when it comes to grip training.. But i started an altered version David Hornes beginner routine, Monday and Friday... Wednesday, its gonna be the wrist developer for now... Its pretty cool,  once I achieve the few goals I have in mind, I feel I will be prepared for bending steel.  I got the orange spring.. I could bend it pretty easy in the second notch from the bottom, and must have done 30 or 40 reps on the lowest one (not in one set)... But I didn't go any higher, i felt it working my forearms in places I didn't know existed.  I know its a well known device around here, but with my limited knowledge to this sport, I feel it's worth the money. I'm already eager to buy additional springs.

Hey man I have never done any bending and I was thinking of getting David Horne's steel starter pack but I really don't want to get injured and I have heard that it's prettt easy to injure yourself while bending. What are your thought on this? 

Thanks in advance,

Erik

Just now, DevilErik said:

Hey man I have never done any bending and I was thinking of getting David Horne's steel starter pack but I really don't want to get injured and I have heard that it's pretty easy to injure yourself while bending. What are your thought on this? 

Thanks in advance,

Erik

2 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Forgot to mention I am only interested in reverse bending not DO or DU.

8 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Edited by DevilErik
Posted my message twice

@DevilErik, with reverse bending I think the risk of injury is lower than with DO. Simply because you will not bend as hard steel that way and you will not engage your body as much as you do with DO. So there's less parts of your body you can injure.

I would recommend that you train your arms and hands. Build up a solid base of strength in your hands and arms. I feel that the worst risk with reverse bedning is the thumb webbing, knuckles and elbow, then maybe triceps and also possibly the bicep. I think the higher up you go on the body will me more affected once you start to bend really hard bars because then you will have to learn how to engage those muscles even more to get everything out of the exercise.

Start with doing wrist levering work, all directions. This will strenghten wrists and elbows for injury prevention. Also do some grippers, it will strenghten the fingers and knuckles, for injury prevention, it will also give you a better crush which can help with reverse bending. Keep your upper arms and shoulders strong and healthy. Work on your pressing and tricep strength, and biceps as well.

Go slow, start with easy bars, learn to walk before you run so to speak. If you take care of your body it shouldn't be any problem.

But remember. Steel bending is mostly mental. You need to be able to cope with the pain. It might not be your thing, or it might really be your thing. Pain tolerance is something you have to build up slowly as well. If you try to go too hard too soon you will have a really nasty experience. Steel bending will hurt, there's no way around that.

• Like 1

Thanks for answering my question man!

This is me levering  6 kg hammer.

I can nearly close the highest setting on my ivanko super gripper so I am used to training grippers.

I also have a vulcan v2 so I am used to heavy setting as well.

I train wrist flexion, wrist extension, radial deviation, ulnar deviation , pronation,supination and circumduction.

Edited by DevilErik
Typo and it posted my reponse twice
  • Like 2

Just now, DevilErik said:

Thanks for answering my questiom man!

This is me levering  6 kg hammer.

I can nearly close the highest setting on my ivanko super gripper so I am also used to training grippers.

I also have the vulcan v2 so I am used to heavy setting as well.

I train wrist flexion, wrist extension, radial deviation, ulnar deviation , pronation,supination and circumduction.

Nice levering, that's pretty good. You seem to have enough strength to start bending steel if you have trained like you say for a while. There's many ways of progressing at steel bending. Different size, different material, different types and amount of pads, different placing of the pads etc. As a start you don't really need a whole lot of different size steel, just different material and different pads can take you pretty far. Reverse bending let's say a 1/4x6" grade 5 bolt is a good goal to start for most beginners I think and you will find out that bending a bolt like this can be done in many different ways. Double wrapping it and placing the pads further out will be much easier than using a single pad on the entire bar. Bending it that way will be pretty darn difficult and painful.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Nice levering, that's pretty good. You seem to have enough strength to start bending steel if you have trained like you say for a while. There's many ways of progressing at steel bending. Different size, different material, different types and amount of pads, different placing of the pads etc. As a start you don't really need a whole lot of different size steel, just different material and different pads can take you pretty far. Reverse bending let's say a 1/4x6" grade 5 bolt is a good goal to start for most beginners I think and you will find out that bending a bolt like this can be done in many different ways. Double wrapping it and placing the pads further out will be much easier than using a single pad on the entire bar. Bending it that way will be pretty darn difficult and painful.

Awesome thanks for your help man I appreciate it.

I don't really know anything about the different types of steel yet so I will have to look into that. I think I will just start out with david horne's beginner steel bending and snapping package because then I will also have the right wraps  since I really don't want to risk using anything else that could potientally tear or break and cause me to end up with a punctured hand.

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

Hey man I have never done any bending and I was thinking of getting David Horne's steel starter pack but I really don't want to get injured and I have heard that it's prettt easy to injure yourself while bending. What are your thought on this? 

Thanks in advance,

Erik

I almost bought the steel starter pack but didnt. The wrist developer is great but yesterday was the first day I could use the developer again. I think you are strong enough to do it. I’m basically the same level as you. I just bought a 60d spike from Lowe’s and bent it relatively easy. Get some wraps and a 60d spike and give that a go.  If you can afford it, get the starter pack and the wrist developer. You can focus on strength and technique that way.

im also afraid of bending stuff that can snap. Know what your bending.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

@DevilErik, no problem man. I'm more than happy to help if I can. I remember when I started it was really hard to understand how to progress. But this forum is like a gold mine if you want to get information on anything hand strength related.

Steel always varies. It depends on many factors, even the same type of steel can be different, depends on which batch it comes from. Two different batches can vary a lot. If you look at David Horne's site you can see his calibrated steel. And the 8 mm cold rolled steel (CRS) bars he has is rated from low 200's up to around 240 kg (last time I checked), that's a huge difference even for DO bending. For reverse bending it's a difference that most people will never understand. And those steel bars are the same type of steel and the same size.

I wouldn't buy the started package. I would buy some of the easier bars up to Grade 5 bolts to start with. Maybe something harder as well. Like the 12.9 bolt and maybe some of those Grade 8 bolts he has. But if you can reverse bend on of those with his rules you're pretty strong. List is not long of people who cant bend those with his rules as you can see.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I almost bought the steel starter pack but didnt. The wrist developer is great but yesterday was the first day I could use the developer again. I think you are strong enough to do it. I’m basically the same level as you. I just bought a 60d spike from Lowe’s and bent it relatively easy. Get some wraps and a 60d spike and give that a go.  If you can afford it, get the starter pack and the wrist developer. You can focus on strength and technique that way.

I have to see whether I like bending or not before buying a wrist developer because I might not like it at all. I will get some wraps and a 60d nail and try to bend it.

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

I have to see whether I like bending or not before buying a wrist developer because I might not like it at all. I will get some wraps and a 60d nail and try to bend it.

If you like get a thrill out of lowering sledges to your nose your gonna like bending. Now I’ve only bent one 60d spike but as a hobby blacksmith, but there’s nothing like manipulating steel with your hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just make sure you buy at least 10 bars. it might take you a few sessions before you get used to the motion, as with all exercises. I'd say with your levering and gripper strength all those nails will be easy for you, if not immediately, at least after a few days or a week. Just remember that when you first try it, don't be frustrated if you fail becuse that will most likely just be a neurological thing in that case.

6 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

@DevilErik, no problem man. I'm more than happy to help if I can. I remember when I started it was really hard to understand how to progress. But this forum is like a gold mine if you want to get information on anything hand strength related.

Steel always varies. It depends on many factors, even the same type of steel can be different, depends on which batch it comes from. Two different batches can vary a lot. If you look at David Horne's site you can see his calibrated steel. And the 8 mm cold rolled steel (CRS) bars he has is rated from low 200's up to around 240 kg (last time I checked), that's a huge difference even for DO bending. For reverse bending it's a difference that most people will never understand. And those steel bars are the same type of steel and the same size.

I wouldn't buy the started package. I would buy some of the easier bars up to Grade 5 bolts to start with. Maybe something harder as well. Like the 12.9 bolt and maybe some of those Grade 8 bolts he has. But if you can reverse bend on of those with his rules you're pretty strong. List is not long of people who cant bend those with his rules as you can see.

Yeah man this forum is awesome everyone is really nice and super helpful here.

I kinda wanted to buy the starter package because of the easy steel and the wraps because otherwise I have no idea how to get wraps. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

If you like get a thrill out of lowering sledges to your nose your gonna like bending. Now I’ve only bent one 60d spike but as a hobby blacksmith, but there’s nothing like manipulating steel with your hands.

I would love to try blacksmithing  for myself I love all weapons and I have collected a ton of them over the years.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

The world of grip wraps are great. I suggest you buy two pairs to start with. So that you could double wrap if you wanted to (although I don't recommend you do that as a beginner in reverse bending) but it's good to have anyways so you don't have to order new leather al lthe time.

You will get more value for the money to pick out single bars yourself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

The world of grip wraps are great. I suggest you buy two pairs to start with. So that you could double wrap if you wanted to (although I don't recommend you do that as a beginner in reverse bending) but it's good to have anyways so you don't have to order new leather al lthe time.

You will get more value for the money to pick out single bars yourself.

I didn't know he was selling more steel I have only seen his beginner package I didn't know he was selling wraps seperately either.

Thanks for the tips!

You will be able to make bigger jumps in the beginning so maybe start with some nails to get the technique and feeling down, like:

88k nail
100k nail
113k 8 mm round steel
124k nail
137 G5 bolt
163k G5 bolt

How many you want depends on your budget of course. But as I said if you can do the G5 bolt with the world of grip rules, it's a pretty good goal to have. The bolts above these, the 12.9 and G8 is way harder and 12.9 bolts are extremely springy. Also the square steel he has in the 180's will be much harder to get a kink on than even the G8 bolt. Simply because it's square steel. It's harder to kink hexagonal and square steel than round bars.

You will need to mail him for the order.

5 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I would love to try blacksmithing  for myself I love all weapons and I have collected a ton of them over the years.

Give it a go. Any questions about it or how to get started feel free to PM me. 

4 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Give it a go. Any questions about it or how to get started feel free to PM me. 

I neither have a forge nor an anvil.

I think I will just do a workshop in the near future.

Edited by DevilErik

15 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Haha yes, self mutilation is a virtue when it comes to bending steel :D 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

I don't have a forge or an anvil I think I will do a workshop in the future.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124522874563?epid=26029960219&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1cfe2446c3:g:nrkAAOSwbvxgxuse&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSxXDXcCydCuSj2Tq2S%2F3Gnvgtvt5wYXQMsHvImuiGoSDSB0GDlS1VN9cvkiCC2tdu8dwkR%2FvPbdUZhsGRSlKCMy730mrRYDeMMO%2Fxb0GxwyEBrHwedU308K5dYs7A%2FNVgz%2FSA48BkLHWq3fuG9rquERNkKb1YMvyKytJPoZDEdlHjkno3mHkb%2FI9DMbQqDy3uY1meeoE8dRpZiNZlGzCdletdjzvcbPtjRlAUAypftlt9hWh%2F9pv8XuYYoYxscaMGwRzZGas8fMXzHsj7V8RDiYKma7d8hHxJKEzgMhiMUYoaUtylLUdPTS7KWEIMoIdlydFq0a%2FrTgg0PLTFm0CfsVqt1Th4r1fFDRwYd3sCCd2IHyJZjdCMiU3E%2BLaQDk9bmxaGRPN7PVfLICWeWV4zVWW%2BVVD9RTvTzl8ALtyzkpfNUa1o9y3ZH%2FEYfxDybpZaoFJ8IB1%2BVkqg3QH0K7hny5hO%2F9xCaLYhJhrVPXVju7FWf0icBLRCw%2FCNyfyLPQaunt74QXxyHua66YZ1N87Cj3yrSWdj3wTD4OMRm8UpadX5DGZzrkyzpdOiZTPQLg30%2FxSzClr07M6jOWa3y6ZRI9FoA%2BNg4wmesOexVw1MyO7ND%2BwkVVtzHdhWOL5h10GdYGLdanmpU5%2BVGlwhycbpm%2BgdXwQcC2iQcdn5aoAxFdd%2BUZkgQOrxdB0RgzFa%2FCQDUbmcJc%2BGH%2FITI2%2Blq4Fny3WtlKMyLU0vokAPUgOQ18HkuDKYi6DDniIRmiFHj19f6um4AiAS%2FyhyZ86VMlik1E6kT%2BJFWAX21zNOqat0VWq4aFw36w0ZKS%2BTwvxMf06r|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

I don’t care if my topic goes off topic 

very good beginner anvil. I may buy one for an outdoor forge, and to use for grip training. As for forge, coal or propane… if you have access to bituminous coal and have cool neighbors go coal. I recommend some proper schooling first if you have some in your area.

4 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Haha yes, self mutilation is a virtue when it comes to bending steel :D 

Well then thanks for letting me know. I am looking forward to bending some steel for the first time now 

Edited by DevilErik
  • Haha 1