Train Both Hands Equally?

matonski

I just got my trainer and #1 COC grippers. I can't even close the trainer. Anyway, I was wondering if people let their right and left hands progress independently of each other, letting their stronger hand stay stronger and perhaps progress faster. Or, do they train like when using dumbells, limiting the stronger hand to doing only the same amount of work as the weaker hand?

It would be wise to try and bring both hands up to equal strength. But, that being said, there are a divided number of grip athletes whose dominate hand is still a lot stronger.

It would be good to have equal strength in both hands however

I wouldn't let your weak hand hold back the progress of your strong

hand. You'll just have to work your weak hand twice as hard to catch up :)

I do the same number with both hands, but I'll use the stronger hand to help the other if I get stuck on the last one or two reps.

I also could not close the trainer when I first got it a little over a month ago.

- Ord

I don't worry about keeping them equal, that would just stunt the development of strength in my stronger hand.

I don't think it matters, for a couple reasons: first of all, visual symmetry isn't really an issue because the muscles used for grippers aren't large enough to make your forearms look different, and second, we naturally have a dominant hand, so why not train like we do.

I train my hands very differently, and they both are getting stronger fast. (negatives with #3 on right, singles with #2 on left, and at different times)

I am not a role model. My left is a joke. I can rep the #2 decently w/ my right, but my left is still fighting w/ the #1 (very close w/ the occasional close)... It's not much fun working the weak hand, but I try to. I'll admit, it gets nowhere near the same amount of work. The good news is that when my right hand is all gnarled w/ arthritis when I'm 80, maybe my left will still be able to press my medic alert button. :tongue

Edit: Although I will say this: I can close the #4 as far w/ my left as I can w/ my right (about 3/8"... from the starting point)

Edited by CMunger

I remember back in my Kung-fu days visiting an Eagle Claw master by the name of Master Pan. (This is legit, he lives in/near Toronto, look it up)

The guy had a pretty neat lookin' right hand. Turns out back in the day the Chinese guys would harden their hands by punching the sides of locomotives, and as a result, they'd get super-dense, very very dangerous fists.

Pan's left hand was smooth and normal looking.

My kung-fu teacher asked him one day, "Master, how come you never trained both hands to have equal density and danger?"

Master Pan smiled.

"I only have to hit the guy once."

I find that my hands take turns being the stronger in my exercises, although when tired my dominant (left) hand gets the job done more often then the right.

train both but don't be too conerned about them being equal.

Jon@han

My hands seem to respond like Jonathan's - they take turns to be stronger too. Mind you, I have had injuries to both hands, so I may not be a very good guide...

As others have said, train both but don't hold back one just to get them equal.