Neck strain doing grippers…common or fluke?

GOLEAFSGO

Anyone else experience this?

Was just finishing Week 7 of the Intermediate KTA program, doing negative crush with 2.5 COC…felt a slight strain that got worse.

Just thought I’d ask out of curiousity..didn’t expect a neck injury of all things.

Thanks for reading

Your grip muscles are connected via fascia up through the arm and shoulder and encompass the neck complex. Most people have weak undertrained necks, so exposing muscles to a high force without preparation will cause a strain. Either have to slow down grip training, or speed up neck training. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try to train around it. You obviously tensing your neck in some weird way when you're training which causes the pain. Try to not do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can see how it can happen but id say not common at all and ive not heard that happening to anyone else ever. Neck training will help. Ive had ironminds neck harness for about 15 years and never had a neck strain from lifting as my neck is one of mt strongest bodyparts. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Thanks 1

When I saw this thread I was literally shocked to see someone had that happen as well. Happened to me twice, and let me tell you, it was bad

Back in May or so when the gyms were closed I was hitting pullups outside really hard and once sort of strained my neck from too much tension. Nothing crazy though, it wasn’t bothering me much and was slowly going away. At that time in May I was also desperately trying to get a double on my #3 no matter the cost, and I once got really close and sort of “put my whole body into the close”. After being in that “stiff struggling to squeeze with all my might” state, when I relaxed, I felt that my neck was extremely sore, sort of like a tendon being injured or something similar. Moving my head to the right, or sometimes even just looking straight felt really painful. It lasted almost 3 days, even sleeping was uncomfortable, I would wake up if my head wasn’t in the 1 percentile ideal state where my neck was perfectly in balance :grin:

After I recovered I started only closing grippers with great focus on the forearm, trying not to get all too passionate and tense up. And it seems to have resolved the issue :)

Hope that helps!

P.S. Ibuprofen and those creams against soreness did help a bit! 

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Thanks 1