Bending

Roark

I am in an area here in which I acknowledge ignorance, but I also

possess some curiosity.

The bending styles of Holle and Terminator seem to vary. Is one style

more difficult than the other? It strikes me that the higher the nail is

raised (upward near the face) the more difficult the nail would be to bend

because of unfavorable leverage positions.

Is this just my lack of experience showing, or in the very high position

are the triceps eliminated as helping?

Thanks.

Having seen a series of pics which supposedly show Gavin Holle bending a rednail. ( I say supposedly as it may have just been posing for the camera) I can say that I do not understand how anyone can bend a nail holding it this way. Has anyone else seen the sequence of pics of Gavin and the red nail?

Where are these pictures?

Yes, I, have seen the pictures in my ****. I agree with Old Guy, it might have been posing for the camera, I dont know. I am not a bender, but I think such a high start would make bending MUCH harder. I would be interested in hearing what the benders on the board think. Mike

It appears to me that in the first Holle photo sequence, he has the nail and wrap in his mouth for the start of the bend, and not just holding it at mouth level.

For me the underhanded style whith yer hands up near yer mouth is easy.You can use more upperbody.The style that pat uses is hard but the overhanded style "Slim" is hardest ,that is what I think anyway.Unless yer doing it behind yer back.

Yes, it is then metal on metal, which is the same as using a vice so long as Holle has strong jaws. :whistel

I personally start at around upper chest level and finish with the nail in front of my stomach. I can't really get it started very well if I start higher than that.

I use Pat's style. Can't bend any other way.

I start all bends about shoulder height-arms out in front of me.

Rick Walker :rock

It appears to me that in the first Holle photo sequence, he has the nail and wrap in his mouth for the start of the bend, and not just holding it at mouth level.

It just appears that the nail is in his mouth. It is just infront of it. I remember "bender" saying in a post that the stronger his bending has become the higher his hands were getting at the start of the bend.

The higher your hands get, the better leverage you get. For that double over hand style you can bring the hands up high and start to bend using pure muscle power. This is because the wrists are stretched out and not as much energy/technique is used to support/brace the wrist. For the Holle, it seems to work perfectly.

As far as the technique terminator demonstraited in his video, it would be pretty hard to bend big steel at waist level. In both cases, keeping it at shoulder level, and sometimes higher, give you optimum leverage.

On another note. JB bends double over hand, but tucks his hands and wrists into his abdomen to help brace them tighty. I havn't seen or heard of how he bends the RED, but I'd assume it's the same way.

Fellas,

Read this post, please. Does it make sense? I am trying to prove that the hands SHOULD be high when starting a bend using the terminator method of bending.

The muscles in your back are the strongest. It then makes sense to start a bend with your hands up high. Here's why in my best kinesiology terms:

Shoulder extension, the movement your arm does in the concentric portion of bent over rows, is performed by the lats, teres, etc - all muscles of the back. They are more powerful as a unit than the muscles of the chest. These muscles are also involved in shoulder stabilization as well. These muscles will fire with the most power when they are slightly stretched via the stretch reflex. With that said, one should initially perform shoulder flexion by raising the arms up in front of the face, then exploding one of them back in shoulder extension (pulling down and back on the nail) and the other, after primed by the sudden burst of shoulder flexion, remains static with the muscles isometrically contracting around the shoulder joint, holding this shoulder and the arm in one position, creating the vice side of the bend.

If one were to take a look at the bendingapolis500 video, smitty and I both do this. We fire the arms out and up. Mine go slightly higher, but I am also standing straighter up. Smitty goes with a bit of a forward lean, but we both use shoulder flexion initially to prime the muscles for the movement.

If the arms and hands are low, and shoulder flexion does not occur at first, wouldn't it be a fairly concrete conclusion that the bend would be tougher? No stretch reflex stimulation of the posterior muscles, shoulder stability might be compromised slightly, resulting in less than adequate power transfer through the shoulder and down the arm.

Does this make any sense? Do you agree, disagree? Am I full of crap? It's okay to say so - everybody else does.

-Jedd-

Sounds goog to me Jedd, nice little treatize on the subject -you've obviously spent some time thinking it out. From my limited experience with that style of bending I'd agree with you. Perfect for grip contests as the temptation to brace is less likely when your arms are well away from you.

Jon@han