Gripper manufacturing process - spring production

Alex K

Hello fellow gripsters! Since I am sure many out here have many years of experience in the sport, I was curious if somebody knew where state of the art torsion springs for IM/GHP and similar high quality grippers are manufactured. Are they manufactured at the respective gripper brand facilities, or rather purchased from external manufacturers from China or other sources. Curious to know since I wanted to try and assemble my own gripper, but am a bit confused about where I could obtain highest-quality torsion springs. Thanks! :D

You’ll want to turn your own.

The pricing from US manufacturers is based on large production runs. There are mandatory set-up fees that apply no matter the size of the run. And each size of wire is a new set-up. So it might cost you $500 to get 1 spring. Maybe more, probably not less. 

If you can weld or know someone, you can make a jig and turn your own springs for next to nothing. There are vids on YouTube. 

Some companies like McMaster sell stock size torsion springs, however nowhere near the size for even an easy gripper.

Good luck. YouTube and some DIY is the way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot @Cannon for the suggestions! I am really interested in starting a small DIY gripper project just for fun. Having received the SG Cobalt and Tungsten (which, by the way, are amazing and filled two large gaps in my gripper lineup), I was wondering, if the springs on those were also made this way. If yes, it's a crazy inspiration to get into DIY Grippers :D