A little help please

climber511

I coach the throws (shot and discus) at our local HS.  For year's now I have given Pittsburg Adjustable wrenches bent into an ink pen holder to all my graduating senior throwers.  As I've gotten older about all I can bend are the 6" and 8" Pittsburg wrenches made in India.  The ones from China either won't bend or snap.  I'm having a hard time finding the India ones.  Do any of you know of another brand that are on the easy side to bend?  Way back in the day I bent a few of the name brand (Cresent and Sears -Craftsman) but those days are gone I think - getting old sucks :).  A long shot but if anyone finds a dozen or so 6" made in India (no China wrenches) Pittsburg adjustable wrenches and would be willing to send them to me I'd of course pay you (and a little extra) for doing so.

I was at Lowes today for the very same reason and only found some cheap 8" Workpro wrenches and a 3 pack of some Kobalt wrenches, all of which are made in china. I plan on giving these a go, but I'm going to scout out the Home Depot nearby and see if I have any better luck there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, climber511 said:

I coach the throws (shot and discus) at our local HS.  For year's now I have given Pittsburg Adjustable wrenches bent into an ink pen holder to all my graduating senior throwers.  As I've gotten older about all I can bend are the 6" and 8" Pittsburg wrenches made in India.  The ones from China either won't bend or snap.  I'm having a hard time finding the India ones.  Do any of you know of another brand that are on the easy side to bend?  Way back in the day I bent a few of the name brand (Cresent and Sears -Craftsman) but those days are gone I think - getting old sucks :).  A long shot but if anyone finds a dozen or so 6" made in India (no China wrenches) Pittsburg adjustable wrenches and would be willing to send them to me I'd of course pay you (and a little extra) for doing so.

Side topic....I got Crouser breaking Barne's world record soon. His technique is the best ever.  He doesn't muscle the shot.  A true elastic whipping action with power coming from the right pivot leading the throw big time.  I saw him start his career all the back in high school and he's had the best coaching and planned out development from when he was young. Plus, he has the physical tools too.  Your thoughts?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Side topic....I got Crouser breaking Barne's world record soon. His technique is the best ever.  He doesn't muscle the shot.  A true elastic whipping action with power coming from the right pivot leading the throw big time.  I saw him start his career all the back in high school and he's had the best coaching and planned out development from when he was young. Plus, he has the physical tools too.  Your thoughts?

Every coaching que I've ever heard or used applies to his technique.  Beautiful!  I realize I'm not a good enough coach to even understand the nuances of his turns but the "slow to fast to boom" applies better than anyone I have every seen.  And while he is huge - he's still sort of lean - his legs look like a big version of a sprinter.  And he certainly has the best series of throws ever done.  "True" record - I quit worrying about what Barnes did or didn't do back then - he was still an amazing specimen.  I do think Crouser may be the best ever when all the dust shakes out and will have a record that no one argues about.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, climber511 said:

Every coaching que I've ever heard or used applies to his technique.  Beautiful!  I realize I'm not a good enough coach to even understand the nuances of his turns but the "slow to fast to boom" applies better than anyone I have every seen.  And while he is huge - he's still sort of lean - his legs look like a big version of a sprinter.  And he certainly has the best series of throws ever done.  "True" record - I quit worrying about what Barnes did or didn't do back then - he was still an amazing specimen.  I do think Crouser may be the best ever when all the dust shakes out and will have a record that no one argues about.  

Well, he crushed the record last night!  

2 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Well, he crushed the record last night!  

Crazy throwing - nice prediction!

5 hours ago, climber511 said:

Crazy throwing - nice prediction!

Check out that throw. Literally had a perfect throw tech wise. That shot sat on his chin and he had his right pivot literally all the way through (huge pull) and there sat the shot on his chin still.  BOOOOM!    He is so good technically he knew immediately he threw the record. How is that for dialed in technique?  

23 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Check out that throw. Literally had a perfect throw tech wise. That shot sat on his chin and he had his right pivot literally all the way through (huge pull) and there sat the shot on his chin still.  BOOOOM!    He is so good technically he knew immediately he threw the record. How is that for dialed in technique?  

I've already sent the videos to all my throwers as a training aid for the off season - I'll be using it as a teaching aid for years to come.  He has the longest "push" (or pull) depending how you look at it of any thrower out there.  

The new American Record holder female discus thrower is also something else to see - beautiful technique

Edited by climber511

Yeah, I saw her. Go back and time and look at her history a bit. You can find it back to high school.

Interesting.

18 hours ago, climber511 said:

I've already sent the videos to all my throwers as a training aid for the off season - I'll be using it as a teaching aid for years to come.  He has the longest "push" (or pull) depending how you look at it of any thrower out there.  

The new American Record holder female discus thrower is also something else to see - beautiful technique

That video was fascinating. I don’t know throwing but at any point that he paused her throw, I couldn’t believe what was happening. The throw happens in like 2 seconds but start pausing and there is 10 minutes of nuance to talk about. Incredible miracle of physics. 

41 minutes ago, Cannon said:

That video was fascinating. I don’t know throwing but at any point that he paused her throw, I couldn’t believe what was happening. The throw happens in like 2 seconds but start pausing and there is 10 minutes of nuance to talk about. Incredible miracle of physics. 

The things I have read over the years say the most complex event in T&F is the Pole Vault - followed closely by the Discus (which everybody "spins") - these days most of the higher level Shot Putters also spin so we can add the shot into the same category.  There are very few "gliders" left at the top levels.  In my opinion spinning the shot is harder than the discus.