Would This Be An Ok Lift Or Not?

ruffhans

I made my own thick handled dumbell out of cynder blocks and a 2 inch bar.

when puting it on the scale it came in at 135 lbs. i did this three times to get a good reading from the scale.

i can lift it off the ground for about 5 secs. my hand length is 8 inches from tip of middle finger to bottom of hand.

how good of a lift is this?

thanx

Put some weight on it. Anyhow, to start... I would say that's good.

Q: Do you switch hands and train your other hand on this lift also??

BTW... thanks. I'm here to help, just ask me!! :happy;):happy

It's a start. You should always endeavor to add weight as quickly as possible. I won't disclose what I've lifted on a 2" bar here, but it's a lot.

Now, you just need to make another one of those things to do the farmer's walk!

Ruffhans, how much do you weigh? That to me might be the most important question that wasn't even asked. If your bodyweight is 135lbs, then to me that is a very good lift. If your bodyweight is 300lbs, that lift is a lot less impressive.

Ben Edwards

Yes i train both.

(?). should your hand be over the top of the bar, or on the side?

For pure grip the majority of your hand is on top. Some 'hook' thick bars and this becomes more of a test of wrist strength. As a starting weight 135 is respectable. I've gone as high as 300.1 lbs on my 2.5 inch handle. I'd say anything around the 170-200 is v good.

Ruffhans,

Definitely a good start, but i think with 8" hands a 2" bar is too small for you. My hands are also 8" and I can overlap my fingers on a 2".

Try a 2.5" handle, and it will be more of a grip feat. If you can get >120# of the ground with a 2.5" handle, that would be a good start. 172# (the weight of the Inch) would be a nice goal.

If your bodyweight is 300lbs, that lift is a lot less impressive.

Ben,

It is mainly about handsize. A skinny 175#er with 8" hands will have an easier time then a short 300#er with 6.5" hands. I think we have heard a few reports of very tall, but not strong, individuals lifting an Inch replica on their first try, because they could wrap their fingers around the handle.

Robert