Bent The Bluewhite

EricMilfeld

I nailed the blue yesterday morning, errr, I mean white. Allow me to explain. Strongmitts was kind enough to send me a bunch of various 60 D's and one blue nail, which Iron Mind had mistakenly painted white. This nail rates between 250 and 260 pounds, and I bent it without too much difficulty. So, let it be known that the IM blues do indeed vary considerably in strength. The blue I bent is to the blues I recently bought, as is a Trainer to a #1 gripper. The difference is that great. As a sidenote, Bender and OldGuy's assessment of the blue being comparable to the Crown Bolt Company's 1/4 inch HRS stock holds true for the blue I bent. I can just imagine Strongmitts failing with what he thought was a white nail and thinking " the heck with it, I'm going back to synchronized swimming". :laugh

Edited by EricMilfeld

Eric,

Congrats on getting the blue/white as far as:

" the heck with it, I'm going back to synchronized swimming".

This might be Smitty and Jedd's next video -except they'd be swimming with a bar of weights instead of a flutter board and bending stuff while underwater!

Jon@han

Man, I feel bad for my comments of sympahty towards Strongmitts. Sorry man. I hope you see the humor of the situation. Also, nice bend Eric. It all just get's crazy now as you start buying bolts, 60D's, square-stock and round-rod.

" the heck with it, I'm going back to synchronized swimming".

This might be Smitty and Jedd's next video -except they'd be swimming with a bar of weights instead of a flutter board and bending stuff while underwater!

Jon@han

:laugh

Bender, it's already started. My screwdrivers get very nervous (atleast the skinny ones) any time I walk out in the gargage. Nothing is safe anymore: "Honey, do we really NEED this butter knife".

I recently stoped for a tank of gas, and ended up buying a 5" little cheap-o wrench to bend. It just gets worse. No tool is safe...

too true-im going nuts with this bending stuff-so far i have:

snapped hilti drill bits

snapped a spanner

horseshoed a spanner

bent 10 6" by 6mm 8 spiral nails

wrecked a whole set of scredrivers

nearly straightened a horseshoe padlock

rolled up a dinner tray

as well as ripping all the decks of cards in my house.

i actually now shop for stuff to bend-i am normal: Honest :D

be strong

stephen

I tested my tough blue nail this afternoon, using the method prescribed by Tom Black. To acquire a 1/4 inch bend required 280 pounds on my loading pin.

one blue nail, which Iron Mind had mistakenly painted white.

Could this have been an older version of the white nail? Weren't they originally 1/4" HRS and the Yellow and Blue 1/4" CRS ? I know Tom Black used to consider a bend of the original Blue nail = to a medium tough 60D. The current blues are easier than any legitimate 60D nail.

Blues are much easier than any 60D nail. Even ones that have the head and point removed. 60 D nails are aound .273'' compared to .250'' of the blue nail.

synchonized swimming?! ha ha.......I did put the bag of nails back in the closet for a long time after that though. I thought........man.....if I can't bend this thing I must be weak. Then years later when I tried again, I wisened up and tried all of them. Most of my greens come in at 230-240 range to bend 1/4", then every now and then I will get one that bends like butter.

Hey Eric, I'm glad your blue nails are a little harder and it's not just the fact you are a big panzy! :laugh

one blue nail, which Iron Mind had mistakenly painted white.

Could this have been an older version of the white nail? Weren't they originally 1/4" HRS and the Yellow and Blue 1/4" CRS ? I know Tom Black used to consider a bend of the original Blue nail = to a medium tough 60D. The current blues are easier than any legitimate 60D nail.

Being new to the wonderful world of bending, I must admit my ignorance with regards to much of this. Was the original white only six inches in length, as well? What was the poundage rating of the CRS blue? I do have enough experience to concur with the assertion that the average legitimate 60D is harder than the current blue nail. I did bend my tough blue today, and then proceeded to only kink one of my 60 D's.

Strongmitts, I'll have you know, I'm a big STRONG panzy! By the way, some of my tough blues are on their way to Ruston as we speak.