Recomended Exercises/Implements for Swordfighting??

Tong-il

Hey there guys, I've trained casually in grip, and grippers for afew years alongside my martial arts training. Now I just started longsword, as well as rapier training, and after awhile that 2.5 Lb piece of stretched out steel gets heavy, as I'm sure some of you folks who do leverage feets understand. 

Not only during sword "fighting" but sword "cutting" also fatigues the grip. I haven't played baseball, but I'd imagine a batter would encounter similar strains. 

Now I want to start developing a program to get the edge on grip strength so I can stay stronger, longer, for my sparring. I've started with dead hangs. Any recommendations for implements/exercises? Heres some of what we do. 

Sword cutting 

Sword fighting 

• Like 1

I'm just a rookie, but I feel like sledgehammer training is what you need... Levering of all sorts and swinging.

• Like 1

Sledgehammer of course, but steel clubs or even macebell would also be suitable, after all their original purpose was training for combat so seems pretty applicable.

• Like 1

I know nothing about sword fighting - but do they use overweight implements normally?  I would think that along with the sledge levering - moving around a 3 or 4' long piece of round stock in the same patterns as a sword might help?

• Like 1

I do some HEMA as well.

Excellent advice given by others.

Sledgehammer levering type movements in all directions, single and double handed..

Wear your gloves while doing some of the movements,

I know that SPES Lobsters change how you are able to grip quite a bit.

Consider using a waster or synthetic trainer and putting weights directly on it, this will perfectly replicate the grip and feel.

You can also place the trainer sword edge unweighted directly against a heavy bag and then move the bag using just wrist action,

more of an isometric or limited motion type thing. Think of the six cutting angles and thrust.

I would do everything slow and steady and keep the shoulders out of it and safe.

Prudence, Celerity, Audacity, and Fortitude and Good Luck.