20 Years Strong - The GripBoard

Bill Piche

In Feb of 2001, the GripBoard was basically born as its own entity.  

Thanks to everyone who have been members, contributed in many different means of support, and of course our dedicated and supportive long time sponsors who continue to believe in Grip and Grip Strength!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Bill, 

Congrats on 20 years! Gripboard is awesome and great place to learn and share from all-levels of hand strength, etc. The MashMonster ladder is so unique and badass- Love the fact the everybody uses the same gripper on each level and done under strict rules on camera.

All the best for the next 20 years, 

Michael

• Like 3

Hard to believe it's been 20 years. I've been on here for 18. This board is why I'm where I'm at today. Thank you Bill!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 3Crusher said:

Congrats Bill! And lest we not forget that it all started with Solan as The Grip Page about three years before that. 

Yup, for sure!  I created an actual web site that was named the Grip Page.  I am not even sure the forum had a name on that free forum site which was started by Solan which was at the start of that 3 year duration. 

• Like 5

The old e-z board days........

There ain’t many of us old guys left.  

• Like 5

Thanks to all who kept this alive. To the next 20 more years :rock 

• Like 3

Thanks for all your work!  It is a unique and influential forum, and I am glad to have found it.

• Like 1

Great friends for life were made through the GB! Thanks Bill!

• Like 1

Congrats Bill aka Wannagrip  on 20 years , your site and the board rock brother :mosher:cool:mosher Love the Mash Monster ladder and the board  :rock         

• Like 1

Congrats on 20 years Bill. I believe I was here as early as Jedd, perhaps earlier.

• Like 1

Congrats bill!

my first account I think started in late 2011. I haven’t been here for the 20, but DANG 10 years went fast!

On 2/15/2021 at 10:06 AM, Vinnie said:

Thanks for all your work!  It is a unique and influential forum, and I am glad to have found it.

And it can stay a unique and influential forum if all the cancel culture keeps their nose out of it.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:13 PM, Florian Kellersmann said:

Great friends for life were made through the GB! Thanks Bill!

agreed!

10 hours ago, Rick Walker said:

Congrats on 20 years Bill. I believe I was here as early as Jedd, perhaps earlier.

oh shit! Rick is back! HELLYESSS!

Rick, the place sort of got soft for a while when you left. Glad to see you posting again sir! 

5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

And it can stay a unique and influential forum if all the cancel culture keeps their nose out of it.

What exactly is cancel culture, does it (or they) even have a nose, and what could its or their nose or noses possibly have to do with closing COC grippers, pinching plates, pulling axles, etc.?  Silliness aside, I think it can stay a unique and influential forum if people keep posting, period.  I have learned mucho here from the old-timers (including you - one of the first videos I watched a long time ago was one where you are coaching some huge guy on closing grippers and you had him working on a Tetting Supermaster while you closed a 3.5).  I also have met a few dozen folks (including you) in real life, and attended over a dozen comps, and started to pay forward the mentorship when people newer than me come along and I can help.  All of this despite the fact that many of us live in completely different places and have completely different backgrounds and personalities, such that we would never even have met, or likely noticed each other, were it not for this sport.  But instead we've been at a table eating barbecue together.  I guess I'm just saying that despite differences and disagreements about things other than grip, the lot of us get along pretty well and should keep at it.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

What exactly is cancel culture, does it (or they) even have a nose, and what could its or their nose or noses possibly have to do with closing COC grippers, pinching plates, pulling axles, etc.?  Silliness aside, I think it can stay a unique and influential forum if people keep posting, period.  I have learned mucho here from the old-timers (including you - one of the first videos I watched a long time ago was one where you are coaching some huge guy on closing grippers and you had him working on a Tetting Supermaster while you closed a 3.5).  I also have met a few dozen folks (including you) in real life, and attended over a dozen comps, and started to pay forward the mentorship when people newer than me come along and I can help.  All of this despite the fact that many of us live in completely different places and have completely different backgrounds and personalities, such that we would never even have met, or likely noticed each other, were it not for this sport.  But instead we've been at a table eating barbecue together.  I guess I'm just saying that despite differences and disagreements about things other than grip, the lot of us get along pretty well and should keep at it.

Cancel culture is any and all people who attempt to police, shame, or flat out censor what others say or believe if it differs from their own views. A true freedom lover, and a truly “diverse” individual would never try to police what another free person says or does, so long as those things do not infringe on their freedoms. Note that freedoms have zero to do with feelings.

cancel culture puts feelings first and foremost, over all things objective. And in some dramatic cases it even puts feelings over fact and freedoms.

in short, this board is what it is because of the thick skinned doers that were here long before hurt feelings. Also note, that a lot of them before us didn’t agree eye to eye. Yet no one was blocked, locked, or deleted.

and so long as it stays that way, the forum will live on unscathed.

and yes I remember you coming down! You sat right next to me and ate some decent food, drank cold beer, and had a few laughs. And I would do it again! Because I don’t cancel people.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Cancel culture is any and all people who attempt to police, shame, or flat out censor what others say or believe if it differs from their own views. A true freedom lover, and a truly “diverse” individual would never try to police what another free person says or does, so long as those things do not infringe on their freedoms. Note that freedoms have zero to do with ...

in short, this board is what it is because of the thick skinned doers that were here long before hurt feelings. Also note, that a lot of them before us didn’t agree eye to eye. Yet no one was blocked, locked, or deleted.

and so long as it stays that way, the forum will live on unscathed.

It’s an odd coincidence that on the very day you post this, there were basic explanations and articles on “Cancel Culture” in publications including the Washington Post, Fox News, and Reason Magazine, as well as newspapers around the  country. 

What I get out of Tommy’s post is that seeing eye-to-eye is not a requirement on this forum, and that is something I certainly wholeheartedly embrace.

Been here close to 17 years. Known about it since it was mentioned in David Horne’s fine publication (Iron Grip) a year or two before that. It caught my attention when I was in my first contest, March of 2004, having never met a “grip guy” in person in my life, and there were a group of about six guys there, half of whom were competing, most of whom were half my age. They seemed to be extremely good friends. I asked one of the non competitors:

Q. You guys grow up together?

A. No.

Q. Where did you meet?

A. On the Internet.

What the hell is that about, I thought. Now I know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

It’s an odd coincidence that on the very day you post this, there were basic explanations and articles on “Cancel Culture” in publications including the Washington Post, Fox News, and Reason Magazine, as well as newspapers around the  country. 

What I get out of Tommy’s post is that seeing eye-to-eye is not a requirement on this forum, and that is something I certainly wholeheartedly embrace.

Been here close to 17 years. Known about it since it was mentioned in David Horne’s fine publication (Iron Grip) a year or two before that. It caught my attention when I was in my first contest, March of 2004, having never met a “grip guy” in person in my life, and there were a group of about six guys there, half of whom were competing, most of whom were half my age. They seemed to be extremely good friends. I asked one of the non competitors:

Q. You guys grow up together?

A. No.

Q. Where did you meet?

A. On the Internet.

What the hell is that about, I thought. Now I know.

Yep. It’s a thing.

In fact, a friend just sent me an excellent video that had a recent cancellation victim explaining cancel culture. “Culture” is a society existing together in harmony that can disagree. Shorten that word down to “cult”, and you’ll have a group of people that agree on everything. Good, bad, right, or wrong. And cults don’t tend to receive outsider thinking or opinions very well.

In short,

cancel culture=cult

now the question is, do people really want to partake in cancel culture?.. or more directly asked, do they want to be part of a cult? If not, then stop the censorship!

Tommy-not back, just thought it was worth giving Bill his congrats. I still check this place out from time to time. I am old and worn out myself man...I have more bad days and then good anymore when I train. Currently nursing another torn pec (left side this time) and my hamstring muscle belly tore back in January doing paused squats.

Good to hear from you. Hope you are well!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure but I think I found this place in 2003 maybe?  And like others I have made some really good friends - some just internet but many others by actually meeting them at comps - the Arnold etc - had a few disagreements - and learned an awful lot about grip and strength in general.  The level of experienced people on here is second to none - not only about grip but health and life - and their openness to sharing is gratifying.  Here's hoping that it continues another 20 and new people can enjoy it as much as I have.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Rick Walker said:

Tommy-not back, just thought it was worth giving Bill his congrats. I still check this place out from time to time. I am old and worn out myself man...I have more bad days and then good anymore when I train. Currently nursing another torn pec (left side this time) and my hamstring muscle belly tore back in January doing paused squats.

Good to hear from you. Hope you are well!

Dang it! I hate hearing of the injuries man. I hope you recover fast from them!

And thank you for the kind words sir! I’m okay these days. Old, fatter, and balder than ever before! But I still cut a rug erry now and then. 😁

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2021 at 7:18 PM, Rick Walker said:

You were definitely here earlier buddy.

Congrats on 20 years, @Wannagrip!

• 7 months later...
On 2/12/2021 at 1:58 PM, Wannagrip said:

In Feb of 2001, the GripBoard was basically born as its own entity.  

Thanks to everyone who have been members, contributed in many different means of support, and of course our dedicated and supportive long time sponsors who continue to believe in Grip and Grip Strength!

That is remarkable. That's a testament to your dedication. Congrats! And I hope I'll be here to witness the 30 year mark 💪👌

2 hours ago, Terry Gripperaddicted said:

That is remarkable. That's a testament to your dedication. Congrats! And I hope I'll be here to witness the 30 year mark 💪👌

Thanks!  And, thanks to all the sponsors and members (current and former) who have supported us here!

• Like 3

On 2/16/2021 at 7:18 PM, Rick Walker said:

You brought me here bro. You were here first.

• Like 2