Closing Grippers Without Thumb Help

the swiss

Yesterday I closed my #3 for the first time without the help of my thumb. Have any of you tried this with your max gripper? I found that the last 1/8' was mostly thumb work, and working without it strengthened my fingers at the close. hadn't really worked the grippers in a long while due to loss of interest, and because of a thumb injury I started doing these, regaining some interest in the grippers

I think this should be a great assistance exercice to traditional grippers closing

david

Umm how do you close the gripper with your thumb? Do you like have a monster sized thumb or something that you can wrap around the gripper at the end? I have to set the gripper good into my thumbpad but I don't ever feel my thumbs are doing any real work in the close. I'm not alone here am I?

The thumb seems important also for supporting and holding a good set on the gripper. Look at your extensors on top of your forearm and see the difference when closing your fingers with your thumb and with your thumb just sticking up. The difference is quite apparent.

A thumbless close is pretty awesome, Swiss. <<exploit exceptionnel>>

thanks wells!

when I usually close a gripper, the tip of my thumb actually presses on my index and middle fingers' last joint, and sure helps the closure. what I did here was not let my thumb touch my other fingers. my thumb is straightm if you like, and you'll probably notice that in most if not all cert pics, the thumb is bent over the other fingers.

hope its clear now.

david

I've never been inclined to use my thumb to contact the gripper or the other fingers. The couple of times I tried it produced no noticeable benefit.