Wrist Glove

Roark

In the quest to improve my poundage in the wrist curl, I have invented the wrist

glove. It is similar to a weightlifting glove with open back, but it is as lengthy as

a woman's elegant forearm glove, and in fact attaches above the elbow.

When worn on both hands to begin a wrist curl, the hands are in completed wrist curl position, so the bar must be handed to you, so that you can lower the weight and then wrist curl it back up.

There are some bugs though- aside from looking like a primate approaching the bench. So far if I load up 200 pounds on the bar, which I am capable of wrist curling without the glove, I cannot lower the bar- my forearm extensors lack the strength to pull the bar down in preparation for the rebound. I'll try 300 soon, and

hope I can succeed.

I also tried having two spotters push the bar down for me, but when they let go,

the bar flew up into my chin. That situation was solved by sitting inside a power

rack with the pins above the barbell.

Some criticism has been aimed at me, but I figure, hey- everybody has a chance to wear the same equipment. We must move forward.

Right? :inno

Use straps with some elasticity to attach the bar to your hands so it won't fly up and hit you in the chin. If you design it right, the bar will fly up a few inches from your hands, and then when it decends it will push your hands back down, completing the exercise... and then the cycle will repeat!

I am not sure how you'd stop it, however.

Speaking of equipment use in grip events, that guy who is really good at the levering (his name escapes me right now) does use wrist wraps! The genie is out of the bottle!

This is scary. I agree with you, Bob. Would rather wrist wraps not be used.

Do the wraps span from the wrist to the hand, or can the hand move unrestricted?

Perhaps the genie is just peeking out of the bottle.

My point about bench shirts is not that the chest is wrapped, but that the shoulder

is not free to move in all its directions.

If all the bodyparts were individually wrapped without spanning joints we would

have a different, and odd, situation.

Speaking of equipment use in grip events, that guy who is really good at the levering (his name escapes me right now) does use wrist wraps! The genie is out of the bottle!

Slim Farman(?)

Edited by imodnar_

I'm sick of everyone bashing supportive gear! I think people just need to realize that improving technology has changed every modern sport and powerlifting should be no different. Take hunting for example, people don't go out there like the indians with bows and arrows anymore. That would be stupid! I always take my heat sensing goggles, synthetic deer attractant, and high powered auto-rifle. I mean, the point is to get the most deer right? What else is there? I mean, you don't want to be out there all friggin' day just to get one deer, or NONE! Blast those suckers and you can be home by lunch no prob. Just like powerlifting. I ain't gonna bust my ass RAW for no 315 bench. The whole point is to get more weight. That's why I slap on my double-denim so's I can pound up 500 and be one of the big boys. Listen, you still got to do the work. There's a bench shirt in the back of my gym and I've never seen it bench even 400 by itself. There's no way that things got the BACK strength to make 400 touch! Anyway, you do what you WANT Roark, and leave the people that see the POINT of lifting weights alone!

(Sarcasm Meter :shifty:shifty;):inno )

I understand AP.

My athletic shoes have zero speed by themselves, the vaulting pole

remains horizontal when alone, and my car jack cannot raise itself.

Your hunting rifle cannot shoot itself, nor the arrow fly without the bow,

without the arm drawing it.

The early olympics were performed by naked athletes, and though

female powerlifting would experience record breaking crowds were

this practice renewed, and though there would never again be a shortage of

spotters :D we can agree that covering the body can be accomplished

without aiding its performance, especially when the issue is simple modesty.

I once wrist curled 600 pounds while I was naked, but everyone had turned

away in disgust, even the judges, so I got all red lights. Even the video operator was busy vomiting. Sorta hurt my feelings.

How many wrist gloves shall I set aside for you?

Roark - The US military is experimenting with new materials woven into fabrics they call exomuscular technology. The stated aim is to increase the physical strength of the soldier wearing the uniform by "up to ten-fold" without hindering mobility. In a few years even I could squat a ton while wearing the right suit. I have a feeling things may get really absurd before they get any better. Hang onto your hat ...

Mike M.

Mike,

All kidding aside, you make a solid point. Now, some guys get an extra

40 to 100 plus pounds out of their bench shirts- I have seen claims for

nearly 200 more than can be lifted raw.

At what point do we declare enough? If, literally, 100% more can be lifted

with a bench shirt than without it- as may be possible if the fabric you mentioned

can be made into a bench shirt- then aren't we merely kidding ourselves?

Would it not then be similar to race car drivers claiming the car is not

responsible for the extra speed around the track? Even though raw, they

would make it around the track ten times slower?

I understand those who want to use equipment to keep the playing field

somewhat even. (imagine an Indy lineup with all the cars and one man down in

the sprint takeoff position!) I just happen to miss the days when the playing

field depended on skin over muscle, not powerful fabric over muscle.

Is my age showing?

There's the "Wrist glove curl" and the "Wrist curl". The two are uncomparable. Let the people who want to wrist curl, wrist curl. Let the wrist glove curlers, wrist glove curl.

Of course the only problem that can arrise is when somebody can't tell the difference between the two lifts... :whistel

When Rorak uses his tripple-ply denim wrist curl glove with canvas inserts, he knows he's no longer wrist curling. Instead, he's using a specific piece of equipment to lift the weight.

------

That kind of bothers me about the thick leather wrist straps for sledge levering. It defeats the purpose and allows a noticably larger weight to be levered overhead. Still, when I can lever a 30lb hammer, I'll mention this to "him".

I don't think thats true anymore bender, people talk like raw lifts don't matter at all anymore.

Here's a few snippets from a web article from joeaverage.com

"There are 3 pieces to the powerlifting puzzle. 1. The program. 2. The lifter. 3. The gear." (Apparently, 'the gear' is as important as the lifter)

"...my training partner, is about 5'11" and weighs about 230 and is 25 years old. On a good day he can bench 315 with a good bounce off the chest for two reps. He has benched 460 twice in meets with his open back denim"(Do you think this guy tells people that he benches 315 or 460?)

"The hardest part of proper bench technique is learning to wear the bench shirt properly."

I want to acknowledge that I think that these guys DO work hard in the gym and I am grateful for the advice that they and other gear using lifters have given to me. These are smart, strong guys but I think that all of the gear is just an expensive crutch that discourages people from competing in powerlifting and distances these powerlifters from the real ave joes that lift in most gyms today. If I read about that 230lb guy in PLUSA I might think that his 460 bench is pretty impressive - little would I know that I can actually outbench him by about 40lbs and I weight 40lbs less than he does.