Drill Rod (O1) available in UK?

Briso

Hi Guys

Im trying to find steel to bend which has small incremental jumps in diameter.

Im in Northern Ireland and currently the only available stock is CRS and Stainless (1mm increments such as 7mm, 8mm, 9mm)

So the increases in diameter are limited and quite restricting!

I know that drill rod comes in countless diameters in the US, but I don't seem be able to see it or find a source in the UK.

Has anyone in UK (or even in Europe) been able to find a source for Drill Rod (O1)?

Thanks
Brian

Edited by Briso
  • Like 1

Very good question. I've been in desperate search for this as well. I'm pretty sure it's not accessible in the same increments as in the US. Unless you make a special order or something, which probably going to cost a lot.

You could buy larger steel and machine it. But that require that you have a lathe with good precision. With other words, a very expensive one. If you want consistent results.

Of course you could do it for by hand with very primitive tools but that will take some time. Might be worth it though.

• Like 1

I spoke to a couple of suppliers who have told me that “silver steel” in uk is similar to drill rod. But the uk suppliers still don’t have it in the diameter increments that drill rod comes in!

Also I’m just wary bending anything that has the potential to snap!

Because of my main work I stay in contact with europes biggest steel suppliers and just let me explain it short and simple: no chance to get Drill Rod stuff here in europe.

Sad but true. Drill Rod is only for the US market. So in general there is a chance to get it but you have to buy tons of it via a big supplier and as a privat person there is unfortunatley no chance. Easiest way is perhaps to get it from a US bender, if it has to be really drill rod stuff.

We have the strict diameters with 1mm jumps, but we have a lot of different steel sorts like S235, S355, S450, S690, S890, S960, different CrMo sorts, different SS sorts and lots of bolts. Not easy to get every kind and a lot of work to try and test it, but there is a big and good selection.

• Like 4

(For once) Bonus points to the Imperial System of confusion!😆

Silver steel is basically drill rod. Older texts here refer to it as silver steel as well. Although that doesn’t help you with diameters very much.

I am curious though. You really can’t get material in a smaller division than a millimeter? No .5 mm sizes?

2 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Silver steel is basically drill rod. Older texts here refer to it as silver steel as well. Although that doesn’t help you with diameters very much.

I am curious though. You really can’t get material in a smaller division than a millimeter? No .5 mm sizes?

I can get CRS in 1mm increments and stainless steel in 0.5mm.

Stainless obviously can work out expensive as well when bending for volume! 

Silver steel is also available in 0.5mm jumps, but I’m almost certain I’ve read that it has snapped when being bent by some people. 

Edited by Briso

6 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

You can if you really need it. I don't see why you would need it though (if you're not a steel bender :D ). If you need that kind of precision you already have the tools to make it yourself. 

4 hours ago, Briso said:

I can get CRS in 1mm increments and stainless steel in 0.5mm.

Stainless obviously can work out expensive as well when bending for volume! 

Silver steel is also available in 0.5mm jumps, but I’m almost certain I’ve read that it has snapped when being bent by some people. 

Yes, it's probably best to stay away from it. I've read that it has "bad formability", so I never really cared to even try it for that reason.

• Like 1