Slippery Grip Tip

EricMilfeld

I stumbled across this technique for increasing the friction between your hand and that slippery implement you're trying to lift. This applies only to gripping objects with which chalk is a hindrance (very smooth objects). I was training my V-bar lift using PVC pipe, and after drying the pipe and my hand with a towel, I decided to try sliding my hand up and down the pipe,maintaining a firm grip, immediately prior to starting the lift. The results speak for themselves: a right hand increase of my PR by 15 pounds, left hand by 20 pounds! My best guess is that the build up of heat in your hand possibly evaporates moisture. Think of sliding down that metal pole at the playground when you were a kid. That same kind of burn seems to have a practical purpose. I'm guessing this technique would work well on my slippery duct tape covered pinch block as well, by maybe doing the pipe thing and then immediately grabbing the pinch block.

Edited by EricMilfeld

Eric,

It's very hard to keep chalk on a slippery smooth surface... usually what I'll do is put athletic tape on it first, THEN I'll chalk it up. The chalk stays on the tape, and you get the benefit of the chalk.

Good idea Syber. The application of adhesive on the bar wouldn't be allowed for the upcoming GG Bash 3, though. But this PVC pipe and duct tape should make for very uniform conditions for all the contestants.

I've found that something similar helps me. I rub my hands together as if I'm trying to warm them up (picture Mr. Miyagi slapping his hands together to fix the karate kid's leg). It works fairly well, but you have to grab the implement and begin the lift almost immediately so your hand doesn't cool off.

BC.

I've found that something similar helps me.  I rub my hands together as if I'm trying to warm them up (picture Mr. Miyagi slapping his hands together to fix the karate kid's leg).  It works fairly well, but you have to grab the implement and begin the lift almost immediately so your hand doesn't cool off.

BC.

Oh good. So I'm not crazy after all. I'll have to try that Miyagi maneuver also.

Edited by EricMilfeld