Blob

climber511

Has anyone tried making a copy of a York Blob from wood? I was thinking of trying to make a copy of a couple sizes with plate loading capability and just wondered if anyone has tried it already? I have a couple hex blobs but they're not the same as the Yorks.

I have. Made it out of PVC pipe caps. It's bigger than the real one. I made it but don't use it at all. It's real hard to train on. I've only managed 15lbs.

I think it was six or seven. I cut a little off each so it would be about 4 inches across the top when I sandwhiched the two together. I then taped them together across the seem and put a strap over the top of that to hang weight from. I then taped the lower part perpendicular tho the other tape to hold it together.

I tried it - made an exact size replica of the 50lbs (from dimensions on gripboard), but I think the problem is getting the surface right. I painted mine with hammerite, but I think it is way too 'sticky' as I can manage about 45 and my pinch grip is useless otherwise

I started this thread thinking about making a wooden "Blob" to practice with because the only thing I could think of that I had the skill/tools to work with was wood. What would be really nice would be a hollow copy of a York 50# dumbbell end that could be shot loaded to any weight one wanted with the same friction properties as the York. I read Wannabe's words on patents, etc. and don't know if copying the York shape would create a problem or not. I was just wondering if someone like PDA could turn these out for sale and if members of this board might be interested if they would. Comments?

Atomic Athletic!

http://www.atomicathletic.com/shop/tek9.as...ecific=jodplpn4

Expensive! but good quality!

also, see dr ken play with it...

http://www.atomicathletic.com/gallery/default.asp?offset=24

I'm not sure how closely it matches the dimensions of a real york blob, and you can only load it to about 30 lbs but its still pretty neat.