Sledge Handles

nrw125

I've been training with an 8# sledge for about 7 weeks now, and felt it was necessary to wrap the handle in athletic tape. It seemed too narrow, to slippery, etc. I've noticed Bender seems to prefer the fiberglass, and I seem to recall Tom Black using wooden sledges on his website (but don't quote me on that). I've never used anything but the wooden handles, does fiberglass have any advantages?

Nrw 125, I have an 8lbs. sledgehammer with a fiberglass handle, I dont do a lot of sledgehammer work , but I do use it to do some lever work mostly as streches after my other grip work. The only advantage I would say in the fiberglass, is the durability, lack of a chance of picking up splinters ect. I will say that my handle is actually textured so it may be less slippery than wood. Of course the fiberglass cost quite a bit more also. There are quite a few people on the site that are more experienced on this subject than I am , hope this helps though. Mike

The fiberglass ones are textured, and they will last longer.

I have old memories of playing with old sledge hammers while chopping wood at my parents house. The hammer was splintered, it was cracking next to the head, and there was a minor split through the wood grain. As I stood at home depot looking at the fiberglass handle and the wood handle, it was an easy call.

Actually, if you're not using the sledge for anything other than grip work, either type handle should outlast you. Of course, if you're gonna go drive spikes or something...