Pre-rated update!

Cannon

On 1/9/2024 at 11:17 PM, HandsMcHanderson said:

Grabbed a 135 Standard Iron so I don't have to use my 132 GHP 6, and some other goodies. Nice to get something else in that range.

I'm curious why you don't want to use your 132 GHP 6?

I also have a 132 GHP 6.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I also have a 132 GHP 6.

My guess is because these have been exceedingly rare for a while. He might want to keep it fresh as a rather valuable instant collectable. The last GHP 6 that CPW was able to sell went through in December of 2022. And we only had a handful of them, maybe about 4-6. Then before that we had a few in February of 2022. I don't think GHP had them in any real way during this time either. They have been uncommon to catch for quite a while already. :cry 

Was anyone able to purchase one from GHP during 2023? I'm not 100% on the exact timing here, just what I know came through CPW and we were actively trying to get these.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

My guess is because these have been exceedingly rare for a while. He might want to keep it fresh as a rather valuable instant collectable. The last GHP 6 that CPW was able to sell went through in December of 2022. And we only had a handful of them, maybe about 4-6. Then before that we had a few in February of 2022. I don't think GHP had them in any real way during this time either. They have been uncommon to catch for quite a while already. :cry 

Was anyone able to purchase one from GHP during 2023? I'm not 100% on the exact timing here, just what I know came through CPW and we were actively trying to get these.  

Do you have data on what were the most sought-after/purchased levels?  Part of me wishes that maybe production could work/be profitable if it was done on a smaller scale of just the most desirable levels, like 4-7. I obviously have no idea about the ins and outs of this kind of thing though. 

Just me hoping against hope. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I also have a 132 GHP 6.

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

Matt is spot on here. They are hard to come by now and in a nice sweet spot for a lot of guys so will likely be sought after. When I bought it I wasn't working in that range yet (Late 2015) and never ended up closing it more than a few times so it's about as good of an example as you could get for that gripper. Figured I might as well buy something close in range and keep the GHP in a more collectible condition. They aren't exceedingly rare overall but not a lot of guys want to give them up either. It's like a lot of the Tetting stuff, there's a lot out there but most guys are holding onto it or selling for a good profit.

Should be good to try the Standard gripper line though, GHP used to be my favorite so their exit from the gripper scene is a big loss to me. Hopefully the Standards can take their place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, HandsMcHanderson said:

Matt is spot on here. They are hard to come by now and in a nice sweet spot for a lot of guys so will likely be sought after. When I bought it I wasn't working in that range yet (Late 2015) and never ended up closing it more than a few times so it's about as good of an example as you could get for that gripper. Figured I might as well buy something close in range and keep the GHP in a more collectible condition. They aren't exceedingly rare overall but not a lot of guys want to give them up either. It's like a lot of the Tetting stuff, there's a lot out there but most guys are holding onto it or selling for a good profit.

Should be good to try the Standard gripper line though, GHP used to be my favorite so their exit from the gripper scene is a big loss to me. Hopefully the Standards can take their place.

Thanks to you and Matt and that does make sense from a collectors pov. 

I have 4 GHPs and like also like to collect grippers but I will always train with them, I don't care if they have wear and tear and also they seem bulletproof and it would take an insane amount of use to break imo. I had 2 GHP 6s and traded one 6 for a 7 last week. I had been offered good money for a 6 a while back but said no.

Standard's are awesome grippers, I really rate them highly. They are far superior to Cocs in my eyes, very well made with top notch knurling. The RGC range they come in you will rarely find elsewhere in other brands. I'm sure you will love them. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks to you and Matt and that does make sense from a collectors pov. 

I have 4 GHPs and like also like to collect grippers but I will always train with them, I don't care if they have wear and tear and also they seem bulletproof and it would take an insane amount of use to break imo. I had 2 GHP 6s and traded one 6 for a 7 last week. I had been offered good money for a 6 a while back but said no.

Standard's are awesome grippers, I really rate them highly. They are far superior to Cocs in my eyes, very well made with top notch knurling. The RGC range they come in you will rarely find elsewhere in other brands. I'm sure you will love them. 

I tend to see them as tools to be used aswell, but when I know there will be a market for a specific gripper if I don't use it and there is an alternative gripper to use, I'll opt to do so. Most brands are built pretty well but all will see some spring fatigue with heavy use and knurling can wear over time, not so bad when you can just buy another copy in that range but could be a concern if you intend to sell a sought-after gripper to a collector. I'm not worried at all about breakage, even on the well-used heavygrips I have. At the end of the day though they are tools and there is nothing wrong with using the grippers you buy. The only ones I avoid using are ones that aren't being made anymore (even then, I may sneak in a few singles just to see how hard they are if unrated). It's like with guitars. I'd take my 2014 American Professional Strat on tour without a 2nd thought, but I'd be too worried to do so with Pre-CBS stuff due to the value of it. Again though, there's nothing wrong with using the stuff you have.

I'm sure the Standard line is awesome. Can't wait to get the package. 

Edited by HandsMcHanderson
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, deadgrip said:

these 2nd gen pinned Standards are the real deal.. quality for sure.

Forgive my ignorance. What difference do the pins make? I hear the pins referenced a lot and don’t understand the significance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gabriel Tallent said:

Forgive my ignorance. What difference do the pins make? I hear the pins referenced a lot and don’t understand the significance.

It’s just another way to attach the handle to the spring other than using glue. It has a nice aesthetic and the advantages that it cannot fail but can also be easily removed. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, deadgrip said:

these 2nd gen pinned Standards are the real deal.. quality for sure.

image.gif.777848292404748e168db89e9ed02f12.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I also have a 132 GHP 6.

I have a like new GHP 7 rated 138.  Not the lowest I'm sure, but pretty low!  I think I got it from Cannon in 2023.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I have a like new GHP 7 rated 138.  Not the lowest I'm sure, but pretty low!  I think I got it from Cannon in 2023.

Pretty low, my lowest GHP 7 is 143.  I just counted I have 28 rated GHPs, I havent counted the unrated ones, have a few where the handles came off too because of the crappy glue he used for a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I just looked and 138 is the min rating of the 350 he tested in the ratings data for GHP 7 on the CPW site (max being 160).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HandsMcHanderson said:

I just looked and 138 is the min rating of the 350 he tested in the ratings data for GHP 7 on the CPW site (max being 160).

Vinnie's probably that 138, that is very low, I have a GHP 7 rated 140lbs that is still pretty low. 

160lbs is very heavy but all grippers can vary a lot as we all know. 

12 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Nice. That's a real low rating, I have a 140lb. A 138lbs must be child's play for you? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Nice. That's a real low rating, I have a 140lb. A 138lbs must be child's play for you? 

Well, "child's play" is a nice compliment lol.  I can't TNS close it, but I can do a couple reps with the GHP block and a few MMS.  I'm glad to have it, especially now that they are discontinued, but I do prefer COC and Tetting.  GHP is nice, but they have a different feel from COC and Tetting, which are also different from each other but I like them both better than GHP for training.  Maybe because of the spread, GHP seem harder to set, and the set becomes a more important part of the close?  I am not a very good setter.

• Like 2

Just now, Vinnie said:

I can't TNS close it

This would actually be a cool goal.  I have TNS closed a 142 RGC narrow Tetting and near-missed a 138 COC 3.  I think I can get that COC 3 on a good day (it is a friend's so I can try again), and the GHP is probably a little harder because of the spread.  Thanks for leading me to that thought.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

160lbs is very heavy

I borrowed someone's GHP 8 rated 160.  So yeah, 160 is very heavy for a 7 (and light for an 8!).

Similarly, I have a COC 3.5 rated 159 and I have borrowed a friend's COC 3 rated 160.  Seems fitting that the heaviest of one model as about at the RGC of the lightest of the next model up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Similarly, I have a COC 3.5 rated 159 and I have borrowed a friend's COC 3 rated 160.  Seems fitting that the heaviest of one model as about at the RGC of the lightest of the next model up.

Can you imagine being a person who didn’t have rated grippers who happened to get both of these? Especially if you were using a progression of “If I can close this level X number of times, then I’ll get the next one.” You train your butt off because you have an insanely hard #3, then the get a 3.5 and smash it shut. 

The odds are astronomical but a funny thought nonetheless. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Well, "child's play" is a nice compliment lol.  I can't TNS close it, but I can do a couple reps with the GHP block and a few MMS.  I'm glad to have it, especially now that they are discontinued, but I do prefer COC and Tetting.  GHP is nice, but they have a different feel from COC and Tetting, which are also different from each other but I like them both better than GHP for training.  Maybe because of the spread, GHP seem harder to set, and the set becomes a more important part of the close?  I am not a very good setter.

A TNS would be awesome, now there is a challenge for you. 

GHP's imo are the most challenging of all grippers, they are all wide and have a tough sweep all the way through. I've always thought that a GHP feels heavier than their actual RGC by quite a few lbs and tougher than an another brand of equal RGC. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Can you imagine being a person who didn’t have rated grippers who happened to get both of these? Especially if you were using a progression of “If I can close this level X number of times, then I’ll get the next one.” You train your butt off because you have an insanely hard #3, then the get a 3.5 and smash it shut. 

The odds are astronomical but a funny thought nonetheless. 

When I first bought grippers, before I knew about ratings, I closed my 1 and 1.5 right away and the 2 days after, but then could not progress to the 2.5 for months and my 3 felt like a brick that I would never close.  Turns out I had a 1 and a 1.5 both in the 80s, a 2 that was just over 100, but my 2.5 was eventually rated at 132 (after much use, so probably was higher at one point) and my 3 was 153, which is not outrageous but not at all light.  I knew something was up when I started meeting folks and was able to close THEIR COC 3 and not mine (I did my MM0 on someone's 145, before I could ever close my own).  I still have that 2.5.  I sold the 3 at some point but I ended up getting a 152 that is about the same.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I've always thought that a GHP feels heavier than their actual RGC by quite a few lbs and tougher than an another brand of equal RGC.

Same here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

what does "free rating" mean? In CPW Pre-rated section? For example, 151 IronMind #3 (free rating)

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:06 AM, Vinnie said:

When I first bought grippers, before I knew about ratings, I closed my 1 and 1.5 right away and the 2 days after, but then could not progress to the 2.5 for months and my 3 felt like a brick that I would never close.  Turns out I had a 1 and a 1.5 both in the 80s, a 2 that was just over 100, but my 2.5 was eventually rated at 132 (after much use, so probably was higher at one point) and my 3 was 153, which is not outrageous but not at all light.  I knew something was up when I started meeting folks and was able to close THEIR COC 3 and not mine (I did my MM0 on someone's 145, before I could ever close my own).  I still have that 2.5.  I sold the 3 at some point but I ended up getting a 152 that is about the same.

You managed to land the worst-case scenario looks like. With all my grippers unrated I feel like I am guessing. Based on the difficulty of closing my various grippers I am guessing I have a very heavy #1 and a slightly light Gold, but all I can do is guess.

Still have that 132 2.5? Yeah, I'll bet not for lack of other people trying to get it.

• Like 1