Gripper Choker Collars?

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

Anyone using these things yet? I just saw them over at the PDA site while looking at their Clubbells. Strangely I had though of someway to do this but was unsuccessful in following through with it. I simply was going to attempt to use a regular pipe clamp and keep tightening it down at the end of the handles closest to the spring to close the gripper down but remain out of the way for the attempt. I don't think my idea would have worked so well. man just noticed I got one hell of a run-on sentence up there.

This a result of W-grip brainstorming with John S. over at PDA :D

Cutting edge if you ask me! I have one on order, a P2. I think the 1st batch

is going to take 10 business days to get out From Monday Sept 8?

Zcor, from what I understand from reading the article is that you get one collar that can be set to both the P1 and P2 positions. However if you have a gripper with alot of skew the P2 position possiblly may not fit properly. I'm really looking forward myself to really concentrating on the close using these collars.

Zcor, from what I understand from reading the article is that you get one collar that can be set to both the P1 and P2 positions. However if you have a gripper with alot of skew the P2 position possiblly may not fit properly. I'm really looking forward myself to really concentrating on the close using these collars.

Incindium,

I say if the mother gives me a hassle, I`ll send it back and ask John to fix it :)

Actually, I have a decent collection of grippers to choose from, so maybe that

will not be a problem. I plan on using it on 3s and Elites and a couple of RBs

How is this different from setting the gripper? Doesn't seem worth the money to me. Setting and strapholds are free.

If you really want a gadget to work the close then I recommend the Gripinator.

How is this different from setting the gripper? Doesn't seem worth the money to me. Setting and strapholds are free.

If you really want a gadget to work the close then I recommend the Gripinator.

You knows what pal? I think your opinion sux!! I put my $$ where I want!!

I do not consider PDAs equipmqnt gadgets either and for your edification, I have a Gripanator and was one of the first ones to get one too............

Man I need a break from some of these inane posts.............

I`m out

Here's some thoughts on how it works.

First, we found out yet ANOTHER gripper variance(s). P1 and P2 and how it fits depends on what gripper (3 or 4 for example) and how the spring and handles are fit together and even the spring itself. The handles on ALL grippers bow after a certain amount of deflection of the spring which is why the dynamics of the sweep and of course the close itself varies a lot.

The choker allows you to work the close without the hassle of setting and cheating down a bigger gripper than you might be able to close. In fact, a little variation is to literally BLAST your close by forcing a BTR gripper shut, out, shut, out, shut, out....you can do this to a much GREATER degree than if you tried to hold it yourself at the near close position.

You also start from a dead stop, in some cases RIGHT at the transition to the close. It allows you to explose the last inch or so right to BTR if you have it cut. You can just set the gripper in your hand without setting and blast from that position allowing for "no sets" from various positions (assuming you have multiple grippers to do this with) with ease.

All in all, a great addition to my training arsenal. My friend at work keeps stealing it and doing reps during the work day! My BTR #3 is set about 1 1/4 inches and he's working on the 3.

I really like the choker idea.

RSW has a point about the Gripinator, you are able to simulate a choked gripper with the "G." In fact, this is how I do my negatives with this machine. The only problem is the "G" isn't as portable as a choked gripper.

-HH

I don't know about carrying around a choked gripper, i'd be worried that the thing would 'go off' and take out a busload of nuns or something. Seriously, wanna, how long has john at pda had a gripper choked for? it would seem that the constant pressure would degrade the spring.

it would seem that the constant pressure would degrade the spring.

Will it degrade a torsion spring? If so this device could be useful for "softening up" that tough #4 ;) I don't think it will though.
You knows what pal? I think your opinion sux!! I put my $$ where I want!!

I do not consider PDAs equipmqnt gadgets either and for your edification, I have a Gripanator and was one of the first ones to get one too............

Man I need a break from some of these inane posts.............

I`m out

Since when is "gadget" a dirty word ?

Let us know the advantages (aside from portability) of your choker collar over the Gripinator. I am interested in your opinion.

Unless zcor="PDA shill", in which case your opinion is worthless.

Edited by RSW

"Let us know the advantages (aside from portability) of your choker collar over the Gripinator. I am interested in your opinion."

I have both. Portability is one. Specificity is another. Cost is another.

I use both and have both. :)

At the risk of inflaming egoes, I've done the same thing for quite a while using a massive plastic cable tie. It goes down on the end where your hands are, obviously, but it provides the same effect. I haven't found that it interferes with the reps.

I do this with both a #3 and #4 (I'm less than 1/4" away from closing the #3).

Cheers,

Paul

At the risk of inflaming egoes, I've done the same thing for quite a while using a massive plastic cable tie.  It goes down on the end where your hands are, obviously, but it provides the same effect.  I haven't found that it interferes with the reps.

I do this with both a #3 and #4 (I'm less than 1/4" away from closing the #3).

Cheers,

Paul

The trick is to not let it interfere. Without that, you've totally disrupted the feel, etc.

No egos involved here although it's interesting since you decide to post now in this thread when your last post was on Jul 21...nearly two months ago. ;)

wd8ky,

Terry Duty has been doing the same thing as you with a steel triangle which he slides over the ends of the handles. Also, some cheap plastic handled grippers come with an S-hook just below the spring to prevent the handles from opening too wide.

IMHO, PDA's design is better.

Wanna,

I've been between jobs in the past couple of months, and have just got settled into a new routine. I saw the mention of the product (which I agree, is an excellent idea), and just wanted to share my method.

Paul

Wanna,

I've been between jobs in the past couple of months, and have just got settled into a new routine. I saw the mention of the product (which I agree, is an excellent idea), and just wanted to share my method.

Paul

Just bustin your chops. Good luck with the new job. :rock

Placed my order for the chokers.

Kind of thought about the same thing with .250 bar 'wrapped around' for a certain

distance of the handles....Couldn't get it to work the right way.....

I'll leave the designing to the men that know what to do...and can then get it done.

Great ideas for the combined minds of Bill and John. :bow

The adapter plate allows you to use it on a 2 as well. I just tried it today. Worked great. Didn't try it on a #1 yet.

I had no comprehension of how much harder it is to start crushing from the parallel position until I tried it tonight. Insane! If you want to see how it feels, stick the handles of a gripper just below the spring inside a 2" washer. It won't stay put after you close, but you can see why the choker rocks.

This thing has got to be one of the best ideas since KTA for grippers.

This will make strap holds with a #3 VERY doable. You can hover the gripper over the strap, close it down, and you are ready to rock.

NOTHING will work the crush better.

WOW! :bow:bow:bow

I have to have one-

Rick Walker :rock

Rick I agree, staps can be kinda hard if your by yourself. This will allow us to probably use more weight on the straps also. Lets see how far we can push the limits! :rock Should be interesting

Austin Slater