The Pro

Rick Browne

I have had the "Pro" now for about 12 days. It is NAST-EEEEE hard :)

The springwire diameter is.331 compared to the #4 wire diameter of .312.

The Tetting WC is .342 wire diameter.

I do my usual 2 hand cheat close and negative crush with a #4 as normal singles

in my training without much problem. I am able to 2 hand mash down the 4 and hold it a little past paralell for 10 secs or so. Left hand only... This info was included

to describe my strength level. I know there are far stronger guys than me on grippers so now maybe they will have an idea if it is a gripper they want

The "Pro" I can 2 hand cheat close to about 3/4 in. from handle close but can not

hold it it all for a negative crush. The finger handle just walks itself right on

back out laughing....... I will get a better grip on it in the years to come. :tongue

Anyway, this has been just an FYI post for everyone or anyone that may want to add a more challenging gripper to their collection for negative crushes. I think it can be a usuable tool for gripping, where as I think the World Class is not. At least

the WC is not for me...........

ZCOR, I talked my wife into getting me an early birthday present. I got 5 more grippers on the way!!! I ordered the PRO also, I just wanted to have the "set" , I basically filled in the gaps, I have no intention of being able to close the PRO(yet), just had to have it. I am more interested in the SM and GM, that are on the way as well!I think I officially have a problem (16 grippers now)! I know I will get some flack, but I had good luck with WL, last time , so I will see how they do this time. Bill (WLW) also let me know that there would be 2 more models coming out, I am sure these will be the two ABOVE the WC, on another post I saw where they were going to be called the super galaxy and grand galaxy (I think)! I am sure I will order those as well , the will make nice bookends! I pretty much just stare at my WC now!!!!Mike

ZCOR, I talked my wife into getting me an early birthday present. I got 5 more grippers on the way!!! I ordered the PRO also, I just wanted to have the "set" , I basically filled in the gaps, I have no intention of being able to close the PRO(yet), just had to have it. I am more interested in the SM and GM, that are on the way as well!I think I officially have a problem (16 grippers now)! I know I will get some flack, but I had good luck with WL, last time , so I will see how they do this time. Bill (WLW) also let me know that there would be 2 more models coming out, I am sure these will be the two ABOVE the WC, on another post I saw where they were going to be called the super galaxy and grand galaxy (I think)! I am sure I will order those as well , the will make nice bookends! I pretty much just stare at my WC now!!!!Mike

I tell ya it is nice to have a wife that supports our "habit" :D My wife just shakes

her head and laughs... "Oh? are we getting another gripper?"

In written communication with Tetting, I questioned his making of these 2 grippers

above the WC and what the heck is he thinking? He pretty much responded that he

does not think anyone can ever close them, but that they will be an anomaly to the

Tetting collection ;)

I feel the Pro is a workable gripper in the cheat close fashion, but it

will be a lengthy journey for me to get control of it beneficially wise. I think it will

be the last big spring one I get.

Let us know your impressions Mike, after you play round with it :cry

I will let you know what I think. I almost forgot to ask did you go through Warren or WLW? If you went through WLW, how long did it take to recieve the gripper? Last time it only took them 4 days for 6 grippers. Mike

I will let you know what I think. I almost forgot to ask did you go through Warren or WLW? If you went through WLW, how long did it take to recieve the gripper? Last time it only took them 4 days for 6 grippers. Mike

I have been going directly through Tetting.... I started a one to one relationship

with him back in late March,early April....... Just picked up the phone and called

him up. Must have caught him on a good day, because we talked a good hour or so . 15 minutes of gripper talk and an hour of baseball :happy . We are both from the old school baseball days so it went well... I communicate with him at least 2x

a month with letters and of course, buying some toys, so it has worked out well.

He is the most knowledgeable man I have talked to about grippers, et al.

Of course, there are some real bright guys on the board too :rock

Mike, the only draw back with Tetting he has no website (working on it) nor

does he take credit cards over the phone, so it is through snail mail I have to

use.. I don`t mind though, Tetting is a good guy from the old school

I debated for a good week on who to order from, the ability to order by credit card was the main reason I went with WLW. If the other 2 grippers come out, I may just give Warren a call, since I wont be in any hurry to get those! My gripping has been going fairly well, and I want to stay on track. I am able to close the #2 at will with no set and also my old BBM, that is one reason I wanted to get the SM and GM as soon as possible, to throw them into my training. I beleive it was AUSTIN S. that said the SM is a great gripper to the bridge the gap to the #3. I am as close as I have ever been lately, I have since upped the volume, lots of singles and it seems to be working, the #3 was around 1/8 inch away today. Anyway I am a little long winded, so thanks for the feedback! Mike

debated for a good week on who to order from, the ability to order by credit card was the main reason I went with WLW. If the other 2 grippers come out, I may just give Warren a call, since I wont be in any hurry to get those! My gripping has been going fairly well, and I want to stay on track. I am able to close the #2 at will with no set and also my old BBM, that is one reason I wanted to get the SM and GM as soon as possible, to throw them into my training. I beleive it was AUSTIN S. that said the SM is a great gripper to the bridge the gap to the #3. I am as close as I have ever been lately, I have since upped the volume, lots of singles and it seems to be working, the #3 was around 1/8 inch away today. Anyway I am a little long winded, so thanks for the feedback! Mike

You gotta go with what works for ya... You will like the SM and GM. they are

just the right strengths, in my opinion, to be right next to the 3............

I got one of the first GMs made back in the spring and my first response was

that I thought it to be easier than a 3 but a little harder than an SM.............

I spoke to Tetting about it and he agreed and that it was due to a miscoiling of

the GM and he offered to replace it... I said Naw., I`ll keep it as is. I then cut

about 1/4 off the inside of the handle opposite the dogleg and use it in a beyond

range fashion.

Tetting has since then corrected the GM to mirror the #3

Just curious, since you talk directly to Warren. The 6 original WLW grippers were suppossed to mirror the IM plus the WC, i got mine last fall, and I have used a micrometer to measure the springs, to my surpise they matched up with the current wire sizes for those models. So I guess my question is ( and I know now, thanks to this site, that PP to close mean nothing)where are the guys at WLW getting these poundages that they list for the grippers. I am looking at a POWERLIFTING USA from last month and they have an ad with the poundages listed ( and again, I realize these mean nothing) Where are they coming up with, for example the SM as 185PP to close? The wire size is .275 (i think), between a #2 and #3 (closer to the 3). Any ideas? Mike

Mike,

The lbs. to close the handles is determined by how much weight it

takes while being suspended from the middle of the handle.

I do not know their methodology of how the weight is suspended to determine this.

I do know this has been a topic on the board before. Some guys have tried

to close a gripper on a bathroom scale to determine it`s foot lbs. But

from what I remember, it was not a very reliable method.

Ironmind measures from the middle of the handle I believe.

I have never asked Tetting about this either

I once rigged up a crude frame with a 11/16 x 4 in. bolt placed through

the spring coil to stabalize it with one handle up in the air and one handle

clamped to the frame with little electrical pipe clamps. The ends of the gripper were facing me.

I took a 1/8 in. aircraft cable and draped it over the middle of the handle

and allowed the 2 ends of the cable to hang below the gripper.

Taking a loading pin I hooked it to the cable ends and allowed the

loading pin to hang underneath the gripper. I placed a small hydraulic jack

under the loading pin to ease the tension from the cable. I used an Ironmind

#2 rated at 195lbs. I used pre calibrated weight plates(50s and 25s 10s and 5s

and some small pieces of steel weighed out).

Believe you me it was not easy doing it this way either. Trying to balance

this contraption was not fun :) Anyway, I loaded up 150 lbs and slowly jacked

the pin back down until the cable had tension and the weight was suspended

from the handle. The handle came down down around 3/4 close as I remember,

then I just micro loaded until it closed at around 198 lbs.

Do you get the picture? I am more than positive there is a more sophisticatd way

of doing this. PDA had a very intricate machine they used. I have seen drawings of that

Anyhow it is like Heath Sexton has always said: "You got a hard gripper you can`t close"? "Forget the friggin` numbers" "Just work harder to close it"

Well, he said something like that :tongue

Yet another idea I have never thought of! I have tried the bathroom scale routine and all I can say is ........ yea, right didnt work too well for me, I couldnt measure past my #2!. I am starting to get the picture, no more thinking in PP to close, if I cant close it , keep working on it! Thanks for the explanations. Mike

You guys will be the first to know if I do! Well maybe my wife, she has put up with this stuff for a long time! Mike

Mike-Try the beyond the range work. It has helped me tremendously in closing the gap on the 3. Also Wanna recently talked about forcing a beyond the range gripper shut to help with the close. I have a cut 2 and a cut sm. I will now do alot of singles with my cut sm and keep cutting it. This makes the 3 feel easy and I went from about 1/4 inch on the 3 to grinding the handles in 3 wks while on kta. Hope this helps and feel free to ask more. God Bless-Austin

Thanks for the tips Austin, the feedback and tips(and old threads, yes I actually go back and read them) from you and Zcor have helped me close the gap from 1/2 to right around 1/8 inch. Before I actually decided to sign up on the site , I had a hit and miss approach with the grippers. I found this worked up through the #2, but after that it was a different game, and I would have to get a bit more serious if I ever wanted to close the #3 (and tougher grippers, I enjoy this training, more than my regular lifting, so I intend to see how far I can go). There are a lot of helpful and knowlegeable guys ( and ladies) on this board , and I have learned more in the last 3 weeks , then in the last 3 years of hit and miss training. I really appreciate all the help everyone has given! Thanks Mike