Shortest Bend I've Ever Done

Squeezus

45 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

I know @bencrush has done some similar and smaller stuff.

@Squeezus

Very good bend!  Things get a bit weird when they're that short.  Hands get in the way of each other.  The only plus I enjoyed with super short bends like that was at least I could interlock my fingers much earlier and go into the crushdown earlier than on a longer bend. 

Bending that bar like you did in IMPs is smart.  Hard on the hands because it's not a ton of padding.  With fat pads the kink would've been easier because your hands and fingers would've been more protected - BUT - the fat pads would get in the way of each other and make the sweep to the crushdown difficult and awkward. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bencrush said:

@Squeezus

Very good bend!  Things get a bit weird when they're that short.  Hands get in the way of each other.  The only plus I enjoyed with super short bends like that was at least I could interlock my fingers much earlier and go into the crushdown earlier than on a longer bend. 

Bending that bar like you did in IMPs is smart.  Hard on the hands because it's not a ton of padding.  With fat pads the kink would've been easier because your hands and fingers would've been more protected - BUT - the fat pads would get in the way of each other and make the sweep to the crushdown difficult and awkward. 

The kink was actually the easiest part, as weird as that sounds. It hurt really bad, but it moved. The sweep was where my knuckles just kept mashing into each other. I had to try a bunch of different things, moving pads, opening one hand, letting darkness overtake my soul, etc. to get it to a point where I could use the folded up IMPs as crush pads to finish it off. Very very big jump from the 4.5" bar I bent before this 4" piece.

• Haha 1

4" ?  That's a short piece of steel!  Not much leverage on that thing!

• Like 1

This was obviously not a finished bend, since it was DU.  But I remember being pretty proud of it anyway.  I think I bent a 1/4"x3" CRS at Travis Mickelberry's place in 2008.  That bend was very hard.  There was just nothing to hold onto.  Felt like all crushdown from the start of the bend, lol. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bencrush said:

This was obviously not a finished bend, since it was DU.  But I remember being pretty proud of it anyway.  I think I bent a 1/4"x3" CRS at Travis Mickelberry's place in 2008.  That bend was very hard.  There was just nothing to hold onto.  Felt like all crushdown from the start of the bend, lol. 

Was that a russet potato or sweet potato that you filmed that with? Lol just giving you crap that was a crazy short bolt

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, bencrush said:

Insane bend dude! 

Those short bars are a fun challenge but they hurt like hell :D 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, king crusher said:

Was that a russet potato or sweet potato that you filmed that with? Lol just giving you crap that was a crazy short bolt

Haha!  It was a terrible web camera.  Made me really appreciate later having a much better camera (even cell phone cameras are way better) for later bends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Insane bend dude! 

Those short bars are a fun challenge but they hurt like hell :D 

Thanks man!  The one that hurt even more was a Fantastic (4") Bastard Modified DU in fat pads.  Even with the double pads my wrists felt like broken glass for a while after that.