Coc Grippers

climber511

I just measured my grippers from Ironmind.

COC #1 is .245

COC #2 is .264

COC #3 is .286

Any comments on how these might weigh out compared to others? They are about 2 years old.

Climber 511, my #1,2,3 are also 1.5 -2 years old. I measured mine about a week ago and got .242,.262,.281. Mike

The highest size in piano wire is .283 so you are off on the 3. To go higher, you need to change the wire type. I believe piano wire is the cheapest right now. Anyone ever thought that another factor in the variance in hardness of 3's over the years is dependent on the wire available? ;)

Not disagreeing with you here, wanna....

The dude from PDA sold me some gripper called a .295 which he said was made of piano wire, I thought.

I guess he lied to me???

That, or it is made of something else, huh???

Jedder

Uhhh, right NOW the only piano available is .283 from what I am TOLD. I think you need to quit watching X-file re-runs. ;)

I have to agree with Wannagrip, I believe avaliability of wire has a lot to do with the differences in older vs. newer grippers. I would be interested in how some of the single stamp IM grippers measure up. Mike

I just went out and measured my #3 again. It's .286 everywhere I can set my micrometer. I realize that wire size is only one of many variables that make up the difficulty of any particular gripper. Just based on wire size alone, it might appear my #3 is a hair stiff. I'm not close enough to closing it to worry about it yet - but hopefully soon.

I emailed John at PDA and here's what he said:

You are right. And Jedd is partly right. We would not have said the specific type of material back in June (when he placed his order) since we were not even aware of the material differences and true mill sizes, and what size was available in what material, where the breaks were. If anything, he would have asked if they are made of the same type of wire the COCs were, which they are and were - we are all pulling from the same mills in the material/size availability they have.

ASTM A-228 (music wire) only goes to 283, after that you are into chrome silicon or chrome vanadium. Some spring makers call it out as music wire, then specify the steel type. We will be specifying the steel name and ASTM type (which is what nails the properties). Many gripper suppliers, if they call it anything, call it music or piano wire, which tells you as little as they want to, as usual.

Material type was never discussed by anyone until we did the homework and brought out TSGs (the book). The book calls out the material/size availability as applicable. The size/availability issue is not avoided unless you buy custom at a minimum of 20 tons (no typo, that is as of placing the 262 order yesterday).

The problem is somewhat mired because no one ever accurately disclosed what materials they were using until now, likely wouldn't know a silicon from a vanadium, just looked at the sizes, and mixed materials resulting in otherwise unexplainable different sweep and close characteristics (like double stamps).

Many of the wire measurements being tossed about exhibit the same operator errors discussed in TSGs. 245, 264 and 286 are not mill sizes.

So, being the gumbie that I sometimes am; did I measure all my grippers incorrectly? Is my micrometer off? What are the "normal" measurements one should have for Ironmind and other grippers (wire size)?. I'm new to the board and have tried to search and read statistics on the wire sizes, etc. but no real luck so far, could someone direct me to a link that explains some of this please. I don't want to take up everyone's time explaining something that only I don't know and understand. I'm willing to read up on it all, how about a little help finding all the info? Thanks in advance.

Climber 511, try in the Faq section, that is where I found a thread discussing wire size. Mike