Arnold Classic 2020 Armlifting Championship- best roster of athletes ever?

AdamTGlass

On 1/14/2020 at 10:32 PM, AdamTGlass said:

A note I want to add - in 2019 the format was invite only and a lot of complained about it. This year it was open registration. Expo events are limited in size due to time constraints. EVERYONE in North America who could sign up could’ve signed up

Well, not everyone.

There will be a limit of 12 athletes per day. Are you one of the Top 12 who will compete?

6 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

Well, not everyone.

Yes, everyone. who had an eye to compete who didn’t get their spot? 

Like I said above - expo has limited time to get it all done. If someone is not responsible enough to manage time lines & register that’s their issue not the events. 

Adam, you are saying that anyone not registering >2 months ahead of time is not wanting to compete. The 83kg NAGS Champion last year had qualified and entered the contest a mere 3 weeks prior - then obviously went on to win his weight class. I admit I'm far from the best social media hound, but I'm pretty active here and your post was the first I heard that the Arnold had shifted away from invite-only competition. I bet if you took a poll, I was not the only one that recently discovered it was open registration.

But who knows, the registration link is still up. Maybe they'll take more participants.

5 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

Adam, you are saying that anyone not registering >2 months ahead of time is not wanting to compete. The 83kg NAGS Champion last year had qualified and entered the contest a mere 3 weeks prior - then obviously went on to win his weight class. I admit I'm far from the best social media hound, but I'm pretty active here and your post was the first I heard that the Arnold had shifted away from invite-only competition. I bet if you took a poll, I was not the only one that recently discovered it was open registration.

But who knows, the registration link is still up. Maybe they'll take more participants.

Sure, but you know the Arnold is every year so you can proactively seek out the information if it's important to you. Start planning now if you wanna be there in 2021.

• Like 1

No offense to anybody, but I would have to say the very first Mighty Mitts contest was the greatest roster of grip athletes ever.  No doubt this contest does have a very strong field of competitors, though.

Anaheim ‘17 expo 

Carl  Myerscough, Martins Licis, Odd Haguen, Bryan Hunsaker, John Machnik, Eric Roussin, Jon Eklund, Riccardo Magni. That is strong asf. And if you need to win at Keypinching I was there 👍

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

No offense to anybody, but I would have to say the very first Mighty Mitts contest was the greatest roster of grip athletes ever.  No doubt this contest does have a very strong field of competitors, though.

That was quite a line-up. But for this particular set of events (two thick bar plus silver bullet) I think this might actually be a stronger field. It’s close.

1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

Anaheim ‘17 expo 

Carl  Myerscough, Martins Licis, Odd Haguen, Bryan Hunsaker, John Machnik, Eric Roussin, Jon Eklund, Riccardo Magni. That is strong asf. And if you need to win at Keypinching I was there 👍

Yeah, that was a strong field, too.

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Roussin said:

Yeah, that was a strong field, too.

No doubt, first time I ever saw you and you put on a display of strength 💪💪💪

5 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

Dave, I’m not saying anyone not registered 2 months in advance doesn’t want to compete. That would be nonsense. 

I’m saying on the same level playing field everyone (don’t stretch my words) who knows about grip and knows about the Arnold & is aware of the contest could have registered. 

I don’t know everyone in the world so I can’t comment on what loops they keep themselves in. Some how all the people already registered did it. 

The cap on lifters is not a random choice. Last man standing does move along relatively quickly but with this number of people it will most assuredly take the full allotted time for the event. 

What I do know for certain is this - if more people express interest to compete at the Arnold and then tell the guys who run the event - they will get more space. Directly reach out and make a friend. 

Running a contest at the Arnold isn’t like setting up an event in a garage or local gym. You guys are smart - think about it. You are paying both by square footage of stage & time utilization. There are people who already complain the entry fee is too high for them or whatever- what do you think it looks like to run 2-3 platforms with judges, loaders, equipment, support? 

If you’re a competitor you want to get in on it at some point in your life 

I lifted in Mighty Mitts 2013, The 2019 Rogue record breaker, & the 2019 Arm Lifting contest. Such memorable times. The friends you make. The people you meet. Last year a lunch in the cafe with Team Finland & my wife and I turned in to a 10 day vacation in Finland. Incredible. You have no idea how many awesome things will happen to you when you get out to the bigger deals. 

If you like to compete you want to do it there in Ohio. It’s an experience that you just don’t get anywhere else. I would love to be at a grip contest there with 300 competitors- but we ain’t there yet. 

Maybe 2030?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

If you like to compete you want to do it there in Ohio. It’s an experience that you just don’t get anywhere else. I would love to be at a grip contest there with 300 competitors- but we ain’t there yet. 

Maybe 2030?

It may take a while to get to 300 competitors in a grip comp at the Arnolds. But 300 is possible this year in King Kong! :)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

It may take a while to get to 300 competitors in a grip comp at the Arnolds. But 300 is possible this year in King Kong! :)

That is a great goal!

I won't be competing, but I will either by there in person to watch y'all, or I will be at home in my socks and pajamas watching the live stream. Should be an awesome event!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Best of luck to all the athletes. I think Gil will win 90kg, 110 kg -Eric Roussin in a very close battle, 125kg- Jedd Johnson, 125kg plus Carl Myerscough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestSlope said:

That article is just Riccardo's best effort at promoting the event. Whoever ends up on the podium will get into his post comp write-up. Come in as an underdog and drop some jaws.

Never mind I see it...

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Best of luck to all the athletes. I think Gil will win 90kg, 110 kg -Eric Roussin in a very close battle, 125kg- Jedd Johnson, 125kg plus Carl Myerscough

You think Carl beats Mark Felix??

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Also eric beating you.....

13 minutes ago, Stephen Anderson said:

That’s a fair guess. Eric has a mean axle and we tied on RT last year. Tune into the livestream dude! It’s gonna be fun 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Nobody in the 110 kg class is beating Eric on the axle. RT -Eric is fantastic and so is Tanner. I just feel Eric will do much better than people think on the SB- not win the SB event- but do well enough to win overall 110kg.

1 hour ago, Boulderbrew said:

Yes. I think Carl will be close enough on both axle and RT and win big on the SB. I know Felix did an easy 550 plus on axle but that is far different than calibrated plates with tight collars.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Eric’s one of the best there is all around no doubt. Well rounded and has a chance against anyone on any day of the week.... 

Big-time gentleman and a quiet grip assassin!

• Like 1