8-3/8” drillrod bend- IMP’s

Tommy J.

Not sure the diameter on this? It’s one of the pieces @anwnate sent me some years back when he was trying to motivate me to bend the gold in IMPs. Nate, apologies I took so long getting at these bars brother.. 😔 at the time I was more infatuated with the thick wrap bends.

hope your doing well!

until I can sort a camera situation out, and get another digital Mic, this is about the best I can do as far as documentation. Not to worry tho. As the bends become WC again, the documentation will get back on point. For now I’m not overly worried about it since nothing noteworthy is getting bent at this time. More or less just want to document my starting point after the hiatus. More pics of the bar.

DDC52042-0E36-4A35-8E3F-6F409D6E4BA4.jpeg

C9E09B7B-8DA2-41EF-A850-BAE076FFB881.jpeg

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 4

Looks like a 8,5 or 8,7mm Bar.

I have no idea about the drill rod thing, because I never touched one and we can't get them here in europe, but for someone with a lot of years without bending and with this length (looking good that you didnt lost shoulder mobility over the years) this should be a very good bend in IMP'S.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Horrido said:

Looks like a 8,5 or 8,7mm Bar.

I have no idea about the drill rod thing, because I never touched one and we can't get them here in europe, but for someone with a lot of years without bending and with this length (looking good that you didnt lost shoulder mobility over the years) this should be a very good bend in IMP'S.

Thank you brother. Some flexibility is still there. I tried a gold in double leathers and couldn’t get it to my neck with the thick wraps today. So I did lose some stretch. Hopefully muscle memory gets me opened back up quick tho. That’s really the only trick to 8-3/8”. Getting comfortable for a hit on it. 8-3/8” @ 3/8” isn’t really a super hard fold. KOAB, etc. is a way harder bend. 8-3/8” length is just awkward as shit.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about bending but I like watching the intensity in vids. Tommy, can you list the top 5-10 bends a beast can do so it can help me out and others who are new to the various strength of bends. Thanks

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

I don't know anything about bending but I like watching the intensity in vids. Tommy, can you list the top 5-10 bends a beast can do so it can help me out and others who are new to the various strength of bends. Thanks

Since I don’t know about progression to the red nail, i’ll give progression to like a KOAB in the order I did them.

red nail

bastard

6.5” bastard

6”bastard

shiny bastard

6.5” shiny bastard

crs hex bastard

6.5” crs hex bastard

ss hex bastard

edgin

6” ss hex bastard

6.5” edgin

7” crs square

6.5” crs square

big G8/koab

Then after that some random big bends. 6.5” big g8, big g8 in single cordura, 5.5” Edgin, 6”x5/16” crs square, etc.

is roughly the order I went to the koab. There was a bunch of bends in between some of those as well. And also went back and forth with the same bends but different wraps. For example, I bent a big G8 in doubles before I bent an Edgin in single imps. So I did a bit of unnecessary jumping around along the way, I guess you could say.

and a random note, I consider my best heavy Bend the 6”x5/16” CRS square. That one was one I chased for months after the KOAB. And it was a flesh eater of a bend. Also attempted the 5/16x7” SS square prolly 20 times and never got far past 90 degrees. 

Further, this is what still to this day leads me to believe that Aaron’s 6.5”x5/16” SS square the greatest verified DO bend of all time. You have to bend big to even be able to appreciate how hard that bend is..

the gold nails and whatnot happening these days in imps still don’t compare imo. Those are hand toughness/pain tolerance/flexibility bends. The SS square is all of that AND a body breaker of a crush. Once you bend a gold nail, you’ll be super disappointed at how easy the sweep and crush is compared just to a KOAB. Or even a 7” big g8.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 3

Some very good Infos here.

How did you do the Progression in the past? Every week a harder bend, or was there a strict Plan?

17 minutes ago, Horrido said:

Some very good Infos here.

How did you do the Progression in the past? Every week a harder bend, or was there a strict Plan?

It was chaos really.. until EJ sort of reeled me in and helped me focus on what to bend next. Before that I just came at everything in random order thinking I could bend it all. I will say this also, for every bend I accomplished, I failed 5 or more times before I finally got it. So it was a bit of a war of attrition really. The KOAB for example took like 7-8 tries before I finally bent one.

i bent pretty much daily.. then I’d skip some days and go again for like 9 days straight. I had no scheduled bends. Just small goal bends all the time. Once I finally bent one, I moved onto the next. So no plan.

Obviously I knew from day 1 once I learned of it/them that I wanted to bend a KOAB, big G8, gold nail, etc. I just went ham, really. Until those bends happened. And it was a ton of fun going back and forth with EJ and Hannes at the time. And I probably had just as much fun watching old Mike Hadland, Aaron C., Ben Edwards, and wiggy, and Rhindo, and Eric, and Paul and JT vids along the way.

back then we had a site called Benders Battlefield. It was badass. During the time when EJ, Hannes, and myself were going back and forth DO, at the same time Wiggy, Rhindo, and Bergmann were going at it HARD on the horse shoes. With Andy Thomas and David Mitti trailing them pretty good. It really was a blast.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Since I don’t know about progression to the red nail, i’ll give progression to like a KOAB in the order I did them.

red nail

bastard

6.5” bastard

6”bastard

shiny bastard

6.5” shiny bastard

crs hex bastard

6.5” crs hex bastard

ss hex bastard

edgin

6” ss hex bastard

6.5” edgin

7” crs square

6.5” crs square

big G8/koab

Then after that some random big bends. 6.5” big g8, big g8 in single cordura, 5.5” Edgin, 6”x5/16” crs square, etc.

is roughly the order I went to the koab. There was a bunch of bends in between some of those as well. And also went back and forth with the same bends but different wraps. For example, I bent a big G8 in doubles before I bent an Edgin in single imps. So I did a bit of unnecessary jumping around along the way, I guess you could say.

and a random note, I consider my best heavy Bend the 6”x5/16” CRS square. That one was one I chased for months after the KOAB. And it was a flesh eater of a bend. Also attempted the 5/16x7” SS square prolly 20 times and never got far past 90 degrees. 

Further, this is what still to this day leads me to believe that Aaron’s 6.5”x5/16” SS square the greatest verified DO bend of all time. You have to bend big to even be able to appreciate how hard that bend is..

the gold nails and whatnot happening these days in imps still don’t compare imo. Those are hand toughness/pain tolerance/flexibility bends. The SS square is all of that AND a body breaker of a crush. Once you bend a gold nail, you’ll be super disappointed at how easy the sweep and crush is compared just to a KOAB. Or even a 7” big g8.

Very informative with Red nail as start of big bends. Thanks for your time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

Very informative with Red nail as start of big bends. Thanks for your time.

I think leading up to a red nail might be

60d

1/4”x6” crs square

1/4”x6” grade 5 bolt

1/4”x6” grade 8 bolt

1/4”x6” SS square

then red nail.

not Sure if the order is correct or not, or what else might be smaller jumps to the red.. I started out bending red nails DO. So I honestly do not know. But if I remember correct, these are the bends Eric mentioned when I inquired about reversing a red nail.

• Like 1

Nice to read. Yes, I read about the past times. Unfortunatly I started with bending like two years after that, but at this time I watched every bending video out there and learnd a lot from them.

Time to have a new great time here!

• Like 1

Yes!  He is back bending.  I agree that BB was the greatest place for bending motivation, training tips, and rankings.  Is there anything more manly than bending steel?

• Like 1