Choker Close Collar

Bill Piche

There I was messing with my old broken Silver Elite trying to mimick the thumb position for the close and using a cable when it hit me. I've been experimenting with some more advanced workouts and had been giving a lot of thought on how to work the close more efficiently and effectively AND keep Specificity in mind (there's NOTHING like using the grippers themselves!). I pulled out my duct tape and started fiddling. "Why hasn't anyone thought of this one yet!?" was my first thought. I immediately called up John Szimanski because he's the designer, I am not. I knew he could take my idea and likely turn it into a real piece of equipment. I am sure he was thinking "now what's Bill got me doing!??" :)

The result is the new CCC.

I keep telling John just how hard it is in the what I now refer to as the "transition point". You start from a dead stop. This now just opens up more potential for new experiments!

Here it is:

The Choker Close Collar

By the way, I later found out from Heath that Pat had mentioned something similar to this idea.

What's more amazing is what we learned new about the grippers. After some deflection, the handles BOW and flex. That's why the dogleg does make a difference.

I think zcor actually mentioned he had done that almost a week or two ago.

edit:

Yup, he did. It's in the Pro-BB on WL Warehouse... thread.

Still, it's a good idea.

Edited by aatu

Believe it or not, I never saw the post. John and I were already started when it was posted. :)

I guess great minds think alike. ;)

Just checked out the PDA website, and see they don't ship directly to the UK

'We currently ship for foreign customers to their choice of destination within the U.S. Mainland and they arrange to get the package forwarded to the final destination'.

Does anyone on the board have experience of method/practicality/cost of doing this they can share ?

Cheers,

Dan

I bit as well. We'll see how this helps. My close has degraded in the last month (#2 not being a sure thing anymore) however my Sweep has improved as I can close my .280 and #3 closer than before. I lessened up on the gripper work and have done more support based grip work(FW's and DL holds ect..) We'll see how this helps me improve my close. I'll have to experiment whether working with #2, .280 or #3 is more beneficial for me with the collars.

It's a great idea!!!

I believe Terry Duty came up with something similar a way back. He had a metal triangle that he would slip over the gripper to work on the last range of rom.

Or am I mistaken in the identity of the triangle user?

Jon@han

Dan,

Perhaps you could see if mailbox ect could handle and ship the package to you mbe.com

The shipping charges would probably be about $10 US, on top of the PDA charges, to ship to the UK. If mbe cannot do it perhaps a gripboard member would volunteer to help... :shifty (i might be persuaded and would only charge a couple of test squeezes with the cc)

On April 3, 2001, I did post about the triangle idea but I can't take credit for it because Babygrip, came up with the idea. He took an IM Red nail and bent it into a scalene triangle (each side has a different length). Here's a link to the original post if you're curious:

http://www.cyberpump.com/gripboard/index.p...p?showtopic=547

Wannagrip,

I hope everyone takes advantage of this idea. :) It can make you feel great when you close a tougher gripper than you have ever closed - even though you know you would have run out of steam without the close-collar device. Very motivating!

I have just recently progressed from that bent IM Red triangle to a pair of Police handcuffs made for juveniles or people with small wrists. I like the fact that the opening is adjustable.

The PDA Close Collars are also adjustable. And PDA makes quality products!

Train smart! :mosher

"Determination and Persistence conquers all."

On April 3, 2001, I did post about the triangle idea but I can't take credit for it because Babygrip, came up with the idea. He took an IM Red nail and bent it into a scalene triangle (each side has a different length). Here's a link to the original post if you're curious:

http://www.cyberpump.com/gripboard/index.p...p?showtopic=547

Looks like same basic concept. It's been over 2 years now since that post!

AP, OldGuy,

Thanks very much for the offers - but I mailed them and it turns out they ARE shipping overseas at the moment - the text on the cc page is apparently a bit out of date.

Thanks again,

Dan

Just e-mailed John regarding shipments and he asked if I could post the following,

Thanks.

"Good to hear from you. Collars are in, stamped, prepped and ready to go as well as the paperwork and wrap or box for each shipment. The printer is late with the instructions. (I love printers.) We will have the shipping labels done and on the packages in the hope the printer gets them done before FedEx gets here (usually 1500-1600 lately, so by 1400 would be the drop dead line). I would rather be realistic and say they will not go later than Monday, at best tomorrow. No matter what else happens, we know we can wrestle them from the printer over the weekend if there is still an issue.

Would appreciate it if you could post this to the board.

Best Regards,

John"

Feel like a kid on xmas eve. :D