Block Blobs

DarknessDragon

I've been lurking around this board for a while and finally decided to post. I bought a 50lb hex dumbbell the other day and while I still haven't cut the handle, it seems that it is too slippery to hold on to. It is vinyl dipped and baked and I don't know if I can start at this weight. I'm going to go buy some chalk in the next few days. Does anyone else use hex blobs?

Edit: Damn I typed Block Blobs for the title; it should be Hex Blobs.

Edited by DarknessDragon

Hey Dragon, welcome to the board!

Cut that bad boy up!!

The coating won't be a problem.

wetting the hands and dryin them will be better than chalk (for me) but chalk is always good to have.

Those are the standard hex-head block weights (pre cut). With oily hands, a 25 will be impossible, but with chalk you'll be able to do anything with it. Chalk makes a HUGE difference.

I also use the HEX heads, but every time I want to seriously train I use chalk, I can "show off" and lift the 25# a couple of times w/out chalk but thats it. The nice thing I have found is when you start to out grow the 25 you can "JB Weld " the other half on the first one since they have flat sides. As of right now I have a Oreo blob that consists of a 25# and two 12#'s total "scale" weight of 49#'s. Have fun and work'um till your thumb falls off. :rock

With out chalk, and with plenty of oils from other peoples attempts, I can barely lift a 25, but with chalk I can lift it with just pinky and thumb.

Dragon, check out my site under "the quest for the #3". It explains block weights pretty well...

Well I just finished cutting the handles off and I can't lift a 25lb hex blob. I guess I'll do negatives and get some chalk. My parents kept asking me what I was doing with the dumbbell. They asked some "exercise experts" and they said that using block weights is wrong and that it injures your hand. Well they would probably injure your thumb if you went too wide with the grip. I can't even explain grip work to my friends without getting told that I'll just injure my hands. Most of the people I know can't even close the trainer. So far I can close the #1 for 4 reps with my right hand and I'm progressing pretty well.

My parents also said that if using block weights really worked, then people would sell them at sports stores. I wish they did, because my forearms are killing me after cutting that dumbbell. I just don't know why people can't accept that there are other ways to train.

If all the stuff they sell at sport stores "work" then 99% of trainees should actually be strong, and that is not the reality.

Tell your parents that another "exercise expert" says "BLOCK WEIGHT TRAINING = GRIP STRENGTH" :D

I been cutting my hex dbs up too! So far just the 20 and 60. Going to get somemore sawzall blades and cut the others up. Gonna give the block weights some serious training after my KTA cycle.

Since everyone is talking block weights, I have a question. I HAD a 65 lbs. thick handled db, it is the older kind, with round oval shaped ends. The other day while doing presses, i dropped one on the floor , and you guessed it the end broke off clean. I think you guys know where im going with this (everybody else I know would tell me to go get a new one, and throw this one away)! OK I will get to the question I measured it and in the middle it is approx. 3 7/8 inches wide it gets to this width fairly quick as I can barely get my hand (7.5 inches) around it , I can lift it , it weighs 30 lbs, and I realize it is probably easier than the hex, but does anyone think it would have some carryover effect for grippers (still 1/4 away on the d@@n #3). I will keep it anyway, I am sure I can think of something to do with it! MIKE

Darknessdragon

POLITELY :D Tell your parents and friends to go and put there heads back in the sand!

Then when someone in future says why would you want to do that,like RICK says just say because you can,t :D

Just because the hex has a slick surface does not mean you have to leave it that

way. If it had a teflon coating on it no one would be able to lift it. I scuff mine up

with either a Scotchbrite pad or a medium grit sand paper. I try to get the

surface to the same type of finish as an unpainted plate. (as cast) The surface

coating is more for appearance than anything. I also use chalk. The reason

sporting goods stores don't sell block weights I think has more to do with the

fact that they are a very specialized item. As a friend of mine says they

are a "Micro-Niche" item with poor profitability. One nice thing about cutting them

up yourself is a good workout from 400 to 500 strokes with a hacksaw. I've

found some interesting uses for the knurled bar left behind, has anyone else?