Pinch Block

don of tha new grip

My focus has been on pinching recently, and this is what I've found:

Thin object pinching calls for more muscular strength in your hand.

Thick object pinching calls for more tendon strength in your hand.

Thick objects stretch the hand and force you to lock your fingers tightly. To me, it feels like every joint is being stressed. In some cases, the wider you go, you can use the angle your fingers are locked on to the block, gravity and tendon strength to apply the force needed to lift the object.

In this manner, I've found that the stronger non-grip trainers can lift my 40lb block, and not the 35, because the 35 takes more muscle, and the 40 takes more "tendon lock-off power". The averge guy doesn't have the muscle.

I'm not sure if I'm making my self clear. It's an odd concept to explain.

From the other point of view, there is very little stress through out the joints during a narrow pinch, and all stress is kept on the main pinching muscles.

Through my recent training and from The Mastery of Hand Strength, wide pinching is better, as the stress is over the entire hand, and not just the pinching muscles. On the other hand, if your goal is raw muscle strength, narrow pinching could be better. In the end, a combination of the two is always best.

Good stuff as always Bender,

I read your #3 article over at your site and it got me thinking, (which led to this Question.)

I got two blocks of wood (one thick/one thin) and I was wonderin if I should focus on one more than the other.

I'm treading on dangerous ground here; I started KTA again and I was gonna throw some pinching in there.

DotNGA,

Don't mix KTA with anything. You'll minimize your results.

For gripper carry-over, wide worked for me. I havn't done any narrow pinching in months, and frankly don't like the way it feels. But that's just me...

We all have different hands.

I Bender, I read your article too and I was wondering why you were not training on wood blocks instead of blobs (you can adjust the weight on blocks with a loading pin, but blobs change shape when you use different weights).

Because I can "change shape when you use different weights", and because loading pins change the entire feel of the exercise. My goal is to lift the blob, not lift a blob-like lifting device attached to a loading pin.

The variety of the different blocks is great. Using one pinch width would be like doing isometrics at one bench position in hopes of improving your bench press. Variety is key.

Finaly, I'll say it again, but John Brookfield is right on when he says "block wegihts = hand strength". He doesn't say "pinching a wood block attached to a loading pin = hand strength". :D

Also, the micro-loading technique I use lets me quickly, safely and comfortably chage weight in increments of 2.5lbs, and by 1.25lbs when I get crazy. The loading pin offers no benefit at all. It would actualy take longer to change weight on a pin.

Lastly, I've never seen somebody pass a pinch-block plus loading pin around their body, or toss it hand to hand. That would be catastrophic.

Don't mix KTA with anything. You'll minimize your results.

Yea I know the first two weeks are boring the second time around, (not enough volume IMHO) so I figured this would be an alright idea till about week 3.

Sayin that the wood blocks don't offer great "variety" is excactly why I went and got two different sizes but I got to admit that you made a good point about the blobs. (about passing it around) and I'll look into gettin some.

Don't wase any more time. Go out and buy a dumbell and hack it up. My first was a 40lb hex dumbell. It was a great reaining tool for farmers, cleans, tosses, etc...

Block weights are awesome. Everybody should have 'em just like grippers.

-HH

Is the 40 a thick SOB?

I really don't care if I can lift it right away/in fact I prefere I can't (that way I can gauge how strong I am gettin) :D

Edited by don of tha new grip

Don't wase any more time. Go out and buy a dumbell and hack it up.

Done.... I went and got me 50lb. hex DB and tore that sucker up!!

I can pick it up but not that well yet, but I noticed if I take my pointer finger on either hand and just use ring,middle,pinkie on the block I can carry it longer is that weird?

I had a couple 20lb hex blocks, and I have a few Yourk style blocks. Work with a weight you can pick up. Remember there is more to block weights than deadlifts.

-HH