New To This Group

Guest kapncake

Guest kapncake

Hi, My name is Dave and i'm a 48 yo semi-sedate guy that wants to get back into weight training again. I have some of my old stuff which I brought back from the basement. I have an illness that keeps me home most of the time. When I was younger I was into running (cant do now - respritory probs) and the free weight regime. Hit the heavy bags etc. That was then (15+ years ago). I also worked on my grip strength. A lot of what I had atrophied and I WANT it back. I want to buy a (or a few) grip trainers. I almost bought the Ivanko supergripper, looked at the CoCs but thought I would ask people with experience which system to go for for fastest and best results. I read about the CoC series of grippers a lot more on this forum. If you were me where would you start? :stuart It seems I could base my progress better with CoC by learning from this forum. Please give me some input and recommendations. Thank you, Dave Halliday

Oh well the first and best advice i can find is : read the old posts and make a search through the board.

Just a few points though :

- There is of course much more to grip training than just grippers : you can and must work your thumbs and your wrists and even your extensors.

- Grip training is very specific : if you work only with the ivanko you'll not be as good on the COCs as if you were working with them. So the real question is : on which gripper do you want to be good. As for me i picked the COCs.

Welcome aboard.

Amaury.

Welcome. My fav would be the COC's. Plus you can make a lot of grip training devices for cheap. For example, pick up a pony clamp at the hardware store and you'll only be out a buck or two.

Welcome Dave!!

Get the COC's you will not be dissappointed and also buy John Brookfields "mastery of hand strength" the info is invaluable!!

Plate curls, CoCs, wrist-rolling and finger-tip push-ups..... to name but a few!

So much here can be done on the cheap the (grip) world is your oyster ;)

Digz.

Dave,

First of all, welcome. You have picked the right place to come to when talking about grip strength/grip training/strength training. THIS IS THE FORUM - BAR NONE.

So you're interested in the CoC grippers, are you? :happy Good choice! :laugh Start with the Trainer and #1 - get both grippers. Also, pick up the book, Mastery Of Hand Strength by John Brookfield. Not only will it give you a bunch of ideas on different ways to train grip, it's also a great read.

Here's the link to the site that will help you to get where ya need to go. BTW, tell them that the folks over at the GripBoard sent ya!! :D

http://www.ironmind.com

Guest kapncake

Thanks all, Glad to be here. Based on everyones input I ordered the trainer yesterday. Hope I can order #1 a short time after the trainer. I am looknin into other methods of grip and general training. Hope I will be back soon telling you guys (gals) i'm om #2. Again thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Dave

Kapn,

For training purposes i prefer the Beefbuilder line of grippers. They are made by Warren Tetting for Weightlifter's Warehouse. They come in 11 different strengths (instead of 5 for the Coc), which can be nice for progressing on your grippers. I also like the smoothness of the "sweep":

Weightlifter's Warehouse\

If i could do it all over again, I would buy the Coc #3 and #4, and BBB, BBA, BBSA, BBM, BBSM, BBGM, BBE and BBSE grippers.

Robert

If you are short on money, get the Ivanko Super Gripper. It is a very cheap and versatile grip tool. Its major advantage is that you can change resistance in very small gaps, especially if you buy 3 springs. A negative thing about it is that the range of motion is a little shorter than the regular grippers.

I'm partial to RSW's advice. The CoC are no better than Tettings, and Tetting has many more strengths. You'll also get to talk to the Gripper Guru himself.

-HH

Amaury is correct in that grippers are only a small aspect. Get MOHS and apply Brookfields ideas. The chapter on Block Weights is great.