What To Bring To Your First Grip Contest

smitty

For all of you veterans, I am going to Rick's contest this coming weekend and was wondering???? ....what did you forget at your first contest - that you wished you'd had brought?

food is covered. We will have so much food you wont be able to eat it all.

Is one keg enough though? :D

Rick Walker :rock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Video camera is one that most beginners forget. And they really wish they had brought it. Then they end up taking up some other competitor's time - asking them to take pictures of them. Doesn't sound like a big deal...but it is a drain sometimes.

If Rolling Thunder and/or an unseasoned 2" vbar is in the lineup I would bring a small spray bottle filled with water. Mist your hands lightly and then rub them together vigorously until they are tacky. Then lift immediately before the tacky feeling wears off.

What state is this Contest in? Is Rick the guy from Mass? I cant remember.

I bring lots of energy drinks and water. I dont like much food. A little is good. Oh yea you do want that camera! If it is in Mass then you can skip the bug spray this month. Some of the guys bring smelling salts but it seems kind of crazy to me.

Oh ya bring advil and take it before.

Most important thing to me is to bring a plan, and be prepared to adjust it as things progress. Write down what you think you're attempts will be for each lift. When you get there, find out how things may or may not align to what you thought through. Also, be sure to write down any details that you find may have made a difference, so you can remember it for next time.

Guys, this thread is almost ten years old.

• Like 1

That is really funny. Well I hope he did great.

Ben must have been bored. So what? I never saw it before and I have been here for almost 8 years. It is not bad. Besides, back when this was first written, no one had much experience on the subject.

I knew it was a very old thread but it's just as helpful now as it was back then.

From my very first contest I have brought a written plan of action. Goals and warmups are written out. But the option to back off those goals is always open.

• Like 1

I knew it was a very old thread but it's just as helpful now as it was back then.

From my very first contest I have brought a written plan of action. Goals and warmups are written out. But the option to back off those goals is always open.

I need to learn a lot. My griping at the cactus grip comp was sad. I had taken two weeks off grip. The first week was due to a cold. The second was to keep rested before the comp. I opened @ 138 and failed twice at that. It was like I forgot how to close my hand. I backed off for the third at 132 and got 138 for the last close. The last one felt super easy so I guess next time I better warm up with some heaver grippers. I don’t do well with a few weak closes like I did for my warm-up at the comp.

For me, grip strength seems to be the one strenght most likely to drop during illness. I've done the Tactical Strength Challenge coming off a cold, and did pretty good. But earlier this year, I had some sort of virus and my hand strength went way down. I was lucky to close a #1 while I was sick. I could do a few other kettlebell lifts and things okay though. Then a few days after the virus, I was back to about 90% on grip.

Edited by bwwm