2" Wrist Roller

Clay Edgin

I went to the local overpriced chrome and fern "gym" today during lunch again. The only highlight of the hour was when I found their 2" wrist roller which I mounted onto a power rack and spent a few minutes playing with. That was fun! I was able to work up to 115lbs rotating forwards and backwards, and then slowly backed off the weight and kept rolling until I could no longer get the weight all the way up. The burn felt great. I had only ever used a 1" wrist roller and I had to hold it and the weight in the air, so I was a bit limited to what I could roll with it.

What's a respectable poundage on a 2" roller? What are you guys doing? Just trying to see where I fit in.

Anything over 300 lbs is good. With a roller of 2'' to 2 1/2'' diameter you have a lot of leverage. If it is also knurled, a lot of weight can be wound up and down.

Damn, 300 is a lot. Guess I'm not so studly after all lol I need to make me one of these for my gym.

• 4 weeks later...

For another extreme try a wrist roller in as narrow of a diameter as possible. I use pvc pipe and/or rebar as a roller handle. It is very challenging as you must grip very very hard to roll it; plus it takes many turns before it even begins to move... A mental challenge indeed! I also use a 1 1/2", 2" and a 2 1/2" roller as well.

Edited by wells

I made mine with materials from Home Depot. It cost me $4.83 for material to make two rollers. Using 1 1/2 inch galvanized pipe. the most expensive thing is the carabiners. The only downside is that without a bar to pass thru it, lifting heavy weights is pretty difficult and it taxes the shoulders quickly.I use a 35# plate for about 4 sets each way. I sometimes stand on a bench for longer length to twist. I cant believe some people can roll 280- 300+ lbs. Thats one hell of an acomplishment!!! :bow:bow:bow

I

I cant believe some people can roll 280- 300+ lbs. Thats one hell of an acomplishment!!! :bow  :bow  :bow

Old news and old photos but apparently some haven't seen them.

He actually hit 400plus before he quit training grip and thought 500 was 'doable'...these photos were taken after just a few weeks of training.287# on a 2 3/8"roller-NO knurling

334#,same apparatus

Rolling the weight back down without it spining out of your hand is the toughest part when it comes to heavy wrist rolling.There were times when this happened to me and it peeled the skin right off my hands,ouchhh!!! and my roller was all bloody.

Of all the heavy wrist roller pics I've seen, both hands are always on the implement. Is this just coincidence or are these people rolling with two hands? I've always rolled with one.

BC.

I use both hands on the roller, but alternate them. So left then right and so on. I roll towards me and then away. Hands up and also hands down. I keep adding weight until I fail to clear the floor. Haven't tried only one hand on the roller. Never thought of doing that.

Using a roller of 2'' or more, and even more so if it is knurled, 300 plus pounds is not as hard as it may seem.

Yes you are right.2 inches is the ideal size for myself...i.e.I can roll the MOST weight up that way.

When I go to 2 3/8 I roll up a little less as it's a bit to hard for me to grasp...but its a great work out.

However with a 1 1/4 "I roll even LESS weight as you -of course- have to spin it more times to move the weight up and as it gets smaller(smaller than say the 2 incher)it becomes difficult to grasp also as there is now less surface area for contact.

When the weight gets around 400lbs :ohmy though(not me of course) :blush I can assure you it is a huge amount of force that needs to be generated and the entire power rack and the plates laying on the floor(wooden floor)vibrate and shake..........

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I am right at the limits of what I can roll with my setup. Any heavier and my hands will rip to pieces! I am not going to wear gloves. There are ways to make things harder without adding more weight.

I have one from PVC pipe that has a 2.5 inch interior diameter I think it is. I'm using 110 lbs rolling it forward an backwards. I actually set the roller on top of olympic 2 bars that are resting on the spotter bars in my rack right at armpit level for me. The roller can actually drift forward and backward on top the the olympic bars which makes it harder. I also have to make sure it doesnt move to much because haveing it sitting on top of either of the bar's knurlings eats into the PVC. I use it a couple times a day and am adding 5 lbs when I can get a weight with no problems.

Does anybody still do them the old fashioned way actually holding the weight in their arms themselves ?

Yes, I do.

Does anybody still do them the old fashioned way actually holding the weight in their arms themselves ?

Sure.Sometimes.But my delts go before my forearms do......we throw them in once inawhile anyway.Variety is good.

The 2 3/8"wrist roller weighs(i think)14 or 15 lbs empty....some of the others are lighter and the gym has one of those old hollow 1 inch tubes with a string on it that works,

I prefer the hightech Oldguy wristroller setup. Inspite of my age I don't like the oldfashioned way as it tires out the shoulders, and you are supposed to be training wrists and forearms.

Old Guy,

Where did you get that wrist roller set up you have in your power rack it looks pretty cool.

I thought if you hold it in the reverse curl position you had very good stimulation of the grip and forearms.Or hold it in the deadlidt position getting the benefit of holdin strength also.

I hold it in the deadlift position and do it standing on a bench. Doesn't tire the shoulders out very much and feels more natural than doing it in a rack, to me.

Jeff

Most I've done on my 2 inch roller is 200 lbs. Callouses start to tear

and bleed then. I will be machining a couple of bushings in the shop

to make the i.d. match the supporting bar and I will report any difference

in effort/results.