Bending

Guest gripmaster316

Guest gripmaster316

I had to take my brother to the hospital today because he was complaining about a pain in his wrist that he has had for the past month or so. It started with bending using the verticle style and the next day his wrist was in pain. It was a bit shocking to hear that he had fractured his wrist. Has anyone else had this problem using the verticle style of bending??

If you bend using wrist strength, and stop if it hurts, you shouldn't injure yourself bending. You don't have to do a PR every session to progress.

I haven't had any injuries worse than a bruise in my year or so of bending, but I don't push my limits the way some benders do.

I've had more injuries (small ones) with gripper training than with bending. In fact i never hurt myself with bending. I'm not a very strong bender though. Maybe when the problems will begin when i start working with 5/16" steel (for the moment, my best bends are 7mms nails cut to 7" and bent unbraced while the red is 8mms :blush ).

Hope your brother gets well soon.

A simple rule I've found for bending. If it hurts in your warmup from the last session, 2 weeks off, minimum. Too much wrist work can not only cause fractures, it can cause nerve damage eventually if you don't leave it alone to heal.

yea thanks guys i know.... now i'm resting now i'm not going to bend for a longggggggg time... i just hope i'll beable to close #3

That sounds ugly strongman!!!! Hope you heal up without any nagging post injury pains.

I'm pretty wuzzy when it comes to bending...don't know if I could force that kindof effort into a bend :laugh

Jon@han

Guest rockblaster

What is a relatively soft kind of steel to work with? You see, I am looking for a bar stock of steel to bend with that is "easy" because I wish to only continuosly bend and straighten it--incorporating this exercise into my daily workouts. I hope this makes sense.

Guest rockblaster

No, I simply mean to use it as a mere training tool to warmup with--similar to that of the famous exercise spring that you bend but stronger. I simply want to slowly get accustomed to the lateral pressure that is placed on the arms/wrists while bending

I simply want to slowly get accustomed to the lateral pressure that is placed on the arms/wrists while bending

That's what sledge hammers and lever bars are for! :rock

On the other hand, the specificity of bending steel may have better effects.

I don't know if there's really a way to do this. When you unbend a piece of steel you can never get it fully straight again (because of a lack of Leverage), so you would never have the feeling of beginning the bend. It is pretty cheap and easy to just buy a bunch of nails for this but if you're worried about waste a sledge is probably the way to go.

Unless you are a blacksmith like Clay, this is impractical. Bending the steel workhardens it, and after fatigue sets in it will break unless you anneal it.

I have considered doing this with a copper bar, and gradually increasing its diameter as i progress. But, i happen to have a torch, a kiln and a rolling mill in my apartment.

Robert