Pro-bb On Wl Warehouse Site

MIKE HALEY RILEY CLOE

I was just checking the WL warehouse site , and see they have a new model of BB GRIPPER . It is called the PRO, the poundage is listed at 341 (kind of a strange #).Anyway just passing it on to the members at this level. Mike

Mr. Ennis E-mailed me that info this morning. Rather nice of him.

While i like all the choices in grippers, does anyone else think maybe at the rate we are going, there will be grippers spaced every 1 lbs. I do not mean this in a bad way , because as usual i will go out and buy whatever gripper comes out, just because i collect them as much as use them! Just wondered if anyone else felt the same way. Mike

I think we need to start talking about grippers based on wire size. With all these names flying around that's the only way to keep things straight and somewhat be able to rate their hardness.

The reason there are so many strengths that Warren offers is for our benefit. :cool I was talking to him and there are many different wire sizes other than the "classic 5" (T-4). He has access to all the wire diameters so he uses them. This allows for smaller strength gaps between grippers.

The Gripper Guru is on hell of a guy and very helpful. If you are in the market for a gripper, call him, you won't be dissapointed.

-HH

I agree , it is great we have all these grippers. I have the 5 that IM offers and the original 6 that WL warehouse offered. I am thinking about contacting Warren for the next gripper(or set) i order, i am about 1/4 of an inch from closing the #3. Any suggstions on what might be the best gripper to bridge the gap? The original Master that was suppossed to be harder than the #2, i find easier than my #2. This Master is from the original line up at WLW. Anybody else find this to be true? Mike

You might want to try a supermaster. for me it is about a 2.75 or so. Also I would file down a 2 and train with it also. Good Luck-Austin

Thanks for the info Austin. I had looked at that gripper before, while i realize that the poundages are not exact, i worry that this model may not be enough(185lbs.). After reading through previous posts , you are not the only one who feel that the SM is a hard #2, and I am curious, has anybody tried the Grand Master? I should note that my #3 has one leg that is (no kidding) a good 1/4 inch (or more) longer than the other leg. As i have never had the chance to try another #3 , i am wondering if that could be some (not all, as i do not think i am quite at the closing level), of the problem. Mike

Thanks for the reply Dave, at least I know its not just me. Mike

Same for me, I think all new Master grippers are easier than #2s, thats what Ive heard. It must have been sometime in the past when the Master grippers were harder.

I think they should be listed by both Wire size and IP. Just for the sake of gaining intrest. You Grab one of the guys ont he gripbaord, or somone who knows about Grippers and name a wire Size, Than most likly they will know abot how hard it might be. But Somone whos just getting into it won't be intrested by wire size. But if you Go up to them and tell them That it takes a ceritna amount of poundage to clos eit. they will be intrested.

Thats a very good point, its all about how they are marketed. Poundage (to most people) sounds much more impressive than wire size. mike

With all these names flying around that's the only way to keep things straight and somewhat be able to rate their hardness.

I communicate with Warren through snailmail mostly "cause phoning is

to costly :( Anyway, in a letter I received last Monday Aug 18 he told me

about the Pro..... it has a springwire of .331 compare this to the #4 at .312

and the World Class at .342.

I ordered one and hopefully it should arrive by this weekend maybe sooner.

I`ll report on it unless someone else gets here first..................

I am not to the point of closing something that strong yet, (still getting close on the #3), but someday...... with both hands! mike

I am not to the point of closing something that strong yet, (still getting close on the #3), but someday...... with both hands! mike

Neither am I, and I was the same way when I ordered the #4 but went

and ordered 2 #4s anyway. I could not crack the 4 an inch when I first got

it, but with hard work,I am now able to cheat close the 4 for negative crushes

for as many singles as I see fit.

Posted on Aug 26 2003, 03:10 PM

Mike are you doing any #4 work?

That is pretty strong! I am finally able to break parallel with my #4. I think i would be happy to cheat close this thing my still feels like a brick(although not as bad as my BB WC)! Mike

ZCOR, my #4 training is mainly trying to close it as far as possible, then resting about 1-2 mins. and trying #3. I used to do that with other lifts and it always just made the actual lift seem not quite as tough. Mike

I do not know if this made any difference or not, it seemed to though..

What I did with one of my 4s was to choke the handle spread in a little

bit. I first wrapped the handles in leather pieces for protection and put

it in my vice. I then closed the handles down to past paralell.

I removed the steel retainer from a cheapy Everlast plastic gripper. (You know

the little piece of steel that is wound around the spring legs at the top

of the handles)

Well, I put this around the spring legs of the #4 in the same fashion and slowly

released it from my vice ( I had safety protection on too :D ). I figured it

would straightened that little piece of wire right out. It held though

I reduced the spread of my #4 from 3 1/8 to about 2 in- 2 1/2in handle

spread. I used it and cheat closed it like this for 2-3 months with no problems.

And it helped in finding what it took to cheat close the #4 in a position near close

I have since removed the steel piece............

For all you kids out there...do not try this at home :tongue

Zcor, I have to tell you, i wouldnt have thought of that in a million years! It sounds like something i might try though, with safety goggles of course! Mike

Mike,

It definitely removed the sweep and allows you to start applying

pressure closer to the start of the close area. I felt like it sped up

the time it took to cheat close the handles and of course after you

work with it in this fashion for a while, the sweep won`t hinder you in

cheat closing it with it wide open

All in all, it helped me to build up to cheat closing the 4 when it is

wide open. Especially with my bad right hand

What point did you use for measure the grippers handles distance?

Surely at the bottom of the handles but..... center-center, inner-inner,

outer-outer?

All my old grippers (#1,2,3,4) are 7.5cm internal distance, all news (#T,1,2)

1-2mm less than olders

What about yours?

Bicio, I am not sure if it is correct ,but i measure mine from inner to inner. Most of mine come in at around 3 inches. Mike