Two New Personal Bests

OldGuy

A short while earlier today, I was able to achieve two new personl bests. On the Ironmind pinch block 65 lbs. On a 3'' thick dumbbell handle 145 lbs. I must be doing something right. I will be the Gripboard GranDADDY! Now back to my grip workout.

Great job OldGuy! Best I ever got on a 3inch handle dumbell is 120. Later next year I'd like to get back into it.

-HH

Block used was the new Ironmind block. The loading pin is 5 lbs. and I had 60 lbs in plates. I do not count the weight of the block. I do not like the block that much, but use it so that others who train with it have something to compare, and so do I. My recent progres is due to daily work with the Pony thumb clamp.

Awesome John! Congratulations. There's nothing like a new PR! Or two!

That is some scary wt. on those apparatus !!!! How many rubber bands have ya got on your ponyclamp now Oldguy??? This is reminding me yet again to add the clamp to my regieme.

Jon@han

I have no idea how many rubber bands are on the Pony clamp, but it's a lot. Everytime I find one, usually dropped by the mailman, I add it to the clamp.

OldGuy,

Ask a stupid question time. Please tell me more about your 3" lift handle. Did you make it yourself, and if so, where did you get the parts? I was in Home Depot today doing some recon work on a project I'm building (on the hush, hush). ;)

I did not make it myself. You can get 3" handles from PDA, Ted's Shed, and Fat Bastard Barbells (John Beatty) It would not be difficult to make one from a length of 1 7/8'' OD plumbing pipe, and sleeving it up to 3'' or whatever you want. I got a good deal on a 3'' and 2 3/8'' handle, so did not bother to make them as I usually do.

One of the prizes for my contest is a 3" FBB handle. After we hand out the goods, hopefully the person who wins it will let us all take a run at it. I would be intereted in seeing how much I could handle-

I bet big Steve could get well over 100-

Rick Walker :rock

Rick, I use a 3'' handle from Ted's Shed. I know you have some handles from Ted too. I have my handle marked at the balance point, so I always pick it up evenly and don't waste energy trying to balance each attempt. Maybe after your contest, you can cut back a little on all the grip trainiong you do and focus more on lifting your Inch replica.

Oldguy-

That is ALL i am doing NOW. I do 20+ deloaded Inch deadlifts A DAY with each hand.

I am hammering the thumbs and wrists 6 days a week to lift the Inch. I am not training for the contest at all-

Talk about dedication! Iam sure you will do great in the contest inspite of your focussing on the Inch currently. Could it be your thumb has become stronger than the fingers, or are you convinced that the wrist needs to be a lot stronger?

It is a wrist thing. The bell does not spin IN my hand, rather, it spins my hand.

What are you doing to strengthen your wrists? Table top wrist curls seem to be about the heaviest exercise for the wrist. With you hand length there must be a pretty big gap on the bar between fingers and thumb.

I cannot do much wrist curling with a straight bar. It hurts far too much when I reach the top of the movement-Chalk that up to bad wrists and wierd angles.

I have been doing finger curls into wrist curls with dumbbells-I can handle 110 pretty easy for 10 sets of 5 in my left hand but my right dies out with that weight after the 2nd or 3rd set.

I also do deadlifts with my Ted's Shed handle thumbless to work the wrists. 8-10 single deads with each hand.

I finish up with plate wrist curls.

When I grab onto the inch, the gap between fingers and thumb is an inch or so in width.

It is a long slow process. I am getting there inch by inch. No pun intended.